Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB

racglobal

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone,
DHRs are production records, but are they ever inspected by FDA or audited by a notified body? In the companies I've worked at, the DHR is a replica of the DMR except it the boxes for dating and initialing next to the manufacturing steps. So if the auditor reviews the production records (e.g. the DHR), doesn't that defeat the purpose of a DMR index because in reviewing the production records, they would see the entire manufacturing process anyway? The point of producing a DMR Index is so that you would not have to provide proprietary information during the audit. But if they have to looking at the manufacturing records, are we not also disclosing the manufacturing steps? I am looking for clarification. Any insight into this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
To answer the first question, yes, in my last FDA inspection I was asked to produce 50 DHRs for review. The DHR is essentially the batch record. In the role of an auditor, I ask to see them as part of all manufacturing audits. There is nothing confidential about a DMR, irrespective of whether it is a index or the full file. auditors and FDA inspectors would expect to see it. The Index is just a short-cut to make it manageable, it has nothing to do with hiding proprietary information.

Essentially, the DMR is the recipe of what you are going to make (specifications, procedures, instructions, etc) and the DHR is the record to show that you did it.

somashekar

Staff member
Admin
DHR inspection has been the major time spent in the last FDA inspection I was involved in. Essentially it tells FDA about the devices that have gone into the USofA and that is one of the most important part the FDA wants to inspect.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,
DHRs are production records, but are they ever inspected by FDA or audited by a notified body? In the companies I've worked at, the DHR is a replica of the DMR except it the boxes for dating and initialing next to the manufacturing steps. So if the auditor reviews the production records (e.g. the DHR), doesn't that defeat the purpose of a DMR index because in reviewing the production records, they would see the entire manufacturing process anyway? The point of producing a DMR Index is so that you would not have to provide proprietary information during the audit. But if they have to looking at the manufacturing records, are we not also disclosing the manufacturing steps? I am looking for clarification. Any insight into this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
The only records that the FDA is not entitled to see are Management Review, Internal audits and supplier audit reports. Look at 21CFR820.180

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Yes, the Agency’s policy prohibits FDA to review or copy reports and records that result from audits and inspections of the written quality assurance program, including audits conducted under 21 CFR 820.22 and written status reports required by 21 CFR 58.35(b)(4).. This is stated in CPG 7151.02 (CPG Manual subchapter 130.300). The intent of the policy is to encourage firms to conduct quality assurance program audits and inspections that are candid and meaningful.

CPG Sec. 130.300 FDA Access to Results of Quality Assurance Program Audits and Inspections

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Yes, FDA and Notified Body look at both. See previous answers.

In Europe, DHR is the work order and DMR is not existing formally, but with the new ISO 13485, they created the term Medical Device File which is an equivalent.

So, when the auditors are selecting one or many products, then they ask to get an history list with all the orders manufactured for the last years. And they pick a sample of them. Then start the moment to print or to have that available on a thumbdrive.
I usually ask them to make the selection the previous day so we can have time to prepare all of them.

For the DMR, we are using an electronic version as this is a list of all documents needed to manufacture the product. So each time a document change, its reference is replaced automatically.

I hope this clarifies the question.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Does the FDA require in the DHR shipping documents in the contents?
I work at a manufacturing facility; we have never included a copy of the DHR with the shipped products. For specific products, it is possible that (for other sorts of devices) some DHR elements (such as specific test/calibration data at time of manufacture) could be shipped with the specific product, but even in that case I wouldn't expect anything like a full DHR to go with the product.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
FDA and NB will inspect them, although currently, FDA Remote Assessments are focused on complaints, investigations, nonconformances, MDR reporting, and design controls. For the record it's always CAPA plus one other system for the lowest grade of FDA Audit.

Our DHR Contains evidence of parts used by lot #, employees and training, tools and jigs used, pass-fail metrics, non confomrances, label verification, etc.

I want to remind everyone the FDA _Specifically_ asked us for the training records of employees who provide FINAL APPROVAL for devices prior to end packaging. They were very focused on that during the audit this summer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Device Master Record (DMR) checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) for Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
I DMR (Device Master Records) and similar for standalone software device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) Management and Index questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
P DMR (Device Master Record) for Class I and Class II Dental Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B DMR (Device Master Record) For Contract Manufacturers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
C When to submit a 510(k)? After the DMR (Device Master Record) is finished? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Contents of DMR (Device Master Record) when manufacturing is by 3rd party 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A DMR (Device Master Record): What is meant by these words - Software Specifications? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
D DMR (Device Master Record) Index as a Controlled Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
E Need help establishing a DMR (Device Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q DMR-Device Master Record vs DHF-Design History File vs DHR-Device History Record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 50
B Format of Device Master Record (DMR) for Combination Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Device Master Record (DMR) that was compiled by another company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
W Update DHF (Device History Record) when DMR (Device Master Record) changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
W DMR (Device Master Record) Revision Requirements? FDA GMP Manual 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S DMR Index - Can someone share their Device Master Record Index structure or format? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M DMR - Device Master Records - What is the best way to structure the DMR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 55
S DHF/DMR/MDF for a software-only, cloud-based, single-instance device Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
S Quality Plan at a small Medical Device Company - Is the quality plan a DMR document ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Merge Technical File, DMR, and Device File into a single document? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Medical Device DMR's - List of the Marketing or Market Penetration documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
D Design controls - Inputs, outputs, V&V, DHF, DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P DHF, DMR and DHR in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R DMR or Manufacturing Documentation - How detailed does the documentation have to be? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Design Outputs vs DMR (Design Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
V What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Difference between DMR procedures vs. QMS procedures? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q DMR and DHR - Two requirements, One Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O Distributors and ISO 13485 - DHF and DMR Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
U Document Revisions Required in DMR Index? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Referencing the DMR (Design Master Record) in the PO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Do I need to show fasteners in my BOM's/DMR etc? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Re-Verification of Nonconforming Product prior to closing our DMR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
T Manufacturing Process Deviation linked to DMR (Discrepant Material Report)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B Format for Discrepant Material Report (DMR) - Nonconformance Report (NCR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S What do we need for a DMR? Importer of Record and Going Crazy! 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
D What kind of DMR must a Medical Importer have? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
B Dealing with Outsourced Processes in a DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Which supplies/suppliers need to be listed in DMR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Medical Products: CE Marking - Are the DMR's, Technical Files, DHF, required? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Technical Documentation, DMR, ISO 13485 vs. FDA, STED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Structure and Content of DMR / Technical Documentation (FDA vs. ISO 13485)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T DMR/DHF/DHR/Batch Records/Master Batch Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3