Are ECO's closed after they are shown to be Effective?

Q

QAMTY

Hi I come across with a doubt regarding the closeouts of ECO´s

Is it the same case as when A corrective actions is raised?

In my understanding, a CA is closed until is implemented and proven to be effective

So, an ECR report should be closed out until the changes to engineering
documents are made and such changes have been applied in equipment and proven to be succesful? or is closed out until the documents are changed?

Is it correct?

Thanks-

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi I come across with a doubt regarding the closeouts of ECO´s

Is it the same case as when A corrective actions is raised?

In my understanding, a CA is closed until is implemented and proven to be effective

So, an ECR report should be closed out until the changes to engineering
documents are made and such changes have been applied in equipment and proven to be succesful? or is closed out until the documents are changed?

Is it correct?

Thanks-
ECO (Engineering Change ORDER) is closed once it is approved and released.
All the effectiveness and etc etc, are the review considerations before the approval and release.
Bad ECO's makes more ECO's ~~~

V

vimalvg

Changes caused by ECO has been validated.These should be done before the release of ECO.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Somashekar and Vimalg

Sorry, Release means th closeout?

e.g. Someone propose a change
-Engineering accepts the change
-Then make the modifications to documents
-Such modifications are done on some equipment in workshops
-Some inspection is done on the equipment
- Change is validated and is proven to be OK.

at this point the ECO can be Closed?
or for you, Released means the step when
Engineering approves the changes?

Thanks

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks Somashekar and Vimalg

Sorry, Release means th closeout?

e.g. Someone propose a change
-Engineering accepts the change
-Then make the modifications to documents
-Such modifications are done on some equipment in workshops
-Some inspection is done on the equipment
- Change is validated and is proven to be OK.

at this point the ECO can be Closed?
or for you, Released means the step when
Engineering approves the changes?

Thanks
This is something that your company needs to work out. Everything depends on the nature of the change, and it often boils down to when it's OK to ship product rather than when an ECO is "closed."

For example, if a customer asks for a dimensional change to a product, there's generally a period of feasibility evaluation and perhaps pricing negotiations before both parties agree to go forward with the change. When there is agreement, the ECO can be done and closed after everything that needs to be changed administratively has been changed (drawing revised, pricing updated, revision levels changed in the item master, disposition of existing inventory, etc.)

At that point, with a released revision (ECO) all that remains is whatever's necessary to effect the actual change to the product, which might involve tooling updates, dimensional confirmation and PPAP submission or other customer approval.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Jim

It seems somewhat confuse for me

Really I don´t have experience in this ECR´s, I thought it was needed a
treatment like a CAR in the way is documented.

E.g In a same form, someone raises a CAR, on the same form is explained the problem and the responsible writes down the solution, tracking progress, and closing out the RAC.

For ECO´s OR ECR or whatever name we choose, it seems more complicated
because according what I read on the net, we first need to raise an ECR, then an ECO and finally an ECN, more steps more forms, in your point of view, is it practical to include everything in just one form? and name it just ECR?

or should be this the best method to have control of the Designs?

What I need is just that, my Engineering department everyday is asked changes
from the manufacturing department, and I want to have control on those changes.

Thanks four your patience.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks Jim

It seems somewhat confuse for me

Really I don´t have experience in this ECR´s, I thought it was needed a
treatment like a CAR in the way is documented.

E.g In a same form, someone raises a CAR, on the same form is explained the problem and the responsible writes down the solution, tracking progress, and closing out the RAC.

For ECO´s OR ECR or whatever name we choose, it seems more complicated
because according what I read on the net, we first need to raise an ECR, then an ECO and finally an ECN, more steps more forms, in your point of view, is it practical to include everything in just one form? and name it just ECR?

or should be this the best method to have control of the Designs?

What I need is just that, my Engineering department everyday is asked changes
from the manufacturing department, and I want to have control on those changes.

Thanks four your patience.
I've seen instances where a formal ECR (Engineering Change Request) and an Engineering Change Order (ECO) were both used, but never with a third document (ECN). ECN and ECO are often used to mean the same thing.

What happens when a product configuration changes depends a lot on the product. A simple change from a slotted screw to a Phillips head might involve only a simple drawing and/or BOM (Bill of Materials) change and disposition of existing inventory, while a significant dimensional change in a casting might entail a lot more work and activity. How all of this is handled is generally a matter of choice, as I suggested earlier.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
From my point of view (no Standard citation because there is no Standard for an engineering change order):
an ECO is just one step on the path from one revision level to the next.

If an organization receives a request/order from ANY source (customer, internal, regulatory), it normally goes through a process of approvals of the change until all pertinent parties agree before it is issued/released/approved as the next level version/revision of the document/engineering drawing/"whatever."

Jim Wynne alludes to the Associated Documents which may also require change - this is a process many term Configuration Management. I've talked about it in many posts, most recently here which was based on a detailed explanation from a previous year

As I read through the OP, it appears there is some "confusion" about the exact terminology. The reason I used some alternates (issued/released/approved) is because many organizations develop and use their own terminology which may be different from "mainstream" usage. This altered terminology is not wrong, but "best practice" is to define what terms an organization WILL use and then use them consistently throughout its system.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks again Jim

You meant ECR and ECO in the same form?

in the other hand, any change minor or major it deserves a change of a document
and consecuently to record the change in forms.
I´m defining minor and major ECR´s, .e.g. the minor (to complement a drawing, adding a dimension which is cosmetic) and exists the major that could be Design change, what is to change the specification, to modify the base of a motor, changes which cause delays in tasks in workshops and also when budget is affected.

This way, the minor ECR´s will require less reviewing and the majors, surely
all the company will be involved.

I don´t know if this concept is valid and useful.

Thanks

V

vanputten

In my opinion, I would say that in general the following things need to be completed before an engineering change can be considered closed.

-Someone propose a change
-Such draft/prototype modifications are done on some equipment, process, measurement methods, material, in workshops
-Some inspection is done
-Change is validated and is proven to be OK
-Engineering approves/accepts the change
-Then make the modifications to documents, process, tooling, measurements methods, material, training and awareness are implemented
-ECO closed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P ECO Disposition - Deviation Needed for Use As Is? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Parts included/not included in ECO/ECN Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M ECO (Engineering Change Order) Record Filing Question Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Documents not controlled by the ECO (Engineering Change Order) process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Introducing a new Product Variant - ECO Process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D How to process Customer ECO's (Engineering Change Orders) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J ECO (Engineering Change Order) Control for Unreleased Products Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Filtering ECR/ECO by quality management? Managing Engineering Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q How to close the circle QMS and ECO (Engineering Change Order)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Document Control ECO (Engineering Change Order) or QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q How raise en ECO starting from a NC - ECO after NCR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Developing an Access ECO Tracking Database - Need help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Official Clarification of ECO, PDR, PCR Acronym Definitions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) Risk Management Criteria and QA Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
M ECO (Engineering Change Order) Tracking and Status Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M How NCR CAR and ECO Interact - Customer Rejection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T ECO (Engineering Change Order) Implementation checklist/work instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V How to measure ECO (Engineering Change Order) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Differences between ISO 14001 and EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Looking for an ECO/ECN logging software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Documentation for Health & Safety (OSHA) require ECO's? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Engineering Change Request/Order (ECR/ECO) or Document Change Request/Order (DCR/DCO) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
J Drawing Revision History Question... Signature on EO or ECO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
R ECO (Engineering Change Order) presentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R ECO (Engineering Change Order) Question for all experts (fill the blanks) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Corrective Actions and ECOs - If an ECO addresses the issue, why do we do CARs ? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
K ECO (Engineering Change Order) Revision - Letter change or part number change? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
Raffy ECN (Engineering Change Notice) / ECO (Engineering Change Order) System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
I When exactly can a corrective action be closed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
A Can change control can be closed if the CAPA is still open? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
K What is supposed to happen when a CA cannot be closed out or the root cause... General Auditing Discussions 1
V Open vs Closed Systems - Criteria for Categorization in cGMP Environment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
A Retrospective Effectivness Review of Closed CAPAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Closed Customer Complaint Response Form Examples? Customer Complaints 3
M CCFT (Closed Coupled Field Technology) Technology in Clean Environments Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Designing a Closed Loop Water System using Adiabatic Cooling Towers Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A What happens if an External Audit NC (Nonconformance) is not closed in 90 days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Reopening a Closed Division - Multi-division tier 2 automotive supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
E C/A (Corrective Action) not closed in a timely manner Nonconformance and Corrective Action 26
M closed thanks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1