Are Polyethylene-folie gloves considered Medical Device ?

S

Sztpyol

Hello everyone,

My problem is that I can not find a CE mark ont he packaging of the Polyethylenfolie gloves. I think the PE gloves are medical devices.

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your help[/FONT]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Polyethylenfolie Gloves - Medical Device or Not

Polyethylene film gloves often are used in food handling, but not usually in medical care...at least, not in my experience. Medical device gloves usually are nitrile (i.e. synthetic rubber), vinyl, or the traditional natural rubber latex.

Perhaps the maker of the gloves didn't CE Mark them under MDD because they weren't envisaged as a medical device.

Did the seller from whom you bought them market them as a medical device?

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Polyethylenfolie Gloves - Medical Device or Not

In addition to MIREGMGR's post, in the EU you may also want to consider the PPE directive

Depending on the claims made:
Gloves that protect the patient from bacteria/microbes on the wearer's hands = medical devices
Gloves that protect the wearer from the patient's bacteria/microbes = PPE

Gloves that claim to do both must comply with both directives

S

Sztpyol

Hello,

and thanks for the answers. The problem is that I have to make a decision about it in a purchasing project. Can I ask the suppliers/producers to show the CE mark on the packaging and the declaration of conformity according to 93/42MDD? In case of the PE gloves are medical devices according to 93/42MDD I can. That is the reason I would like to know what are the "status" of the PE gloves.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

M

MIREGMGR

As a purchaser within EU: if a polyethylene film glove does not have the CE Mark on its packaging, it must not be a medical device.

The fact that you perceive them to be suitable for a medical device task is irrelevant. If the legal manufacturer does not CE Mark them as a medical device, they are not a medical device.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational US FDA final guidance Characterization of Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) Used in Orthopedic Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Microbiological Limits of Polyethylene Packaging Film Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
M GMP Question for Polyethylene Drum Faucet - Class I Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
U EN 455-4 Accelerated Shelf Life tests for Medical Gloves Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D ISO 13485 & CE Certification for Surgical Gloves CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Y 510k requirement for bringing in gloves Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Sterility test on gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Accelerated Stability Studies - Class III Medical Gloves Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Not using gloves in Clean Room Class 8 (ISO 14644) Manufacturing and Related Processes 21
S Food Safe Ink for reusable and disposable gloves US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Use of hand cream inside gloves in the cleanroom for medical devices Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 7
C What is the most appropriate Bioburden Test Method for Surgical Gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Bioburden numbers and ECA gloves 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Japan Regulations - Resistance of Medical Gloves to Permeation Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
J Can you handle passivated parts without wearing gloves? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
F HACCP Certification for Single Use Disposable Food Contact Grade Gloves Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
N FDA vs ASTM - Limitations of Powder Content in Gloves Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Double certification 93/42/EEC and 89/689/EEC for gloves possible? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Consumable Parts Monitoring and Reordering - Gloves, grinding discs, earplugs, etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
A Medical Device (Gloves) Stability (Aging) testing and Shelf Life Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
L Monitoring bioburden on clean room gloves Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
J Material standards for med-tech gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 8
E Bioburden tests duration and Monitoring of gloves ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6