SBS - The best value in QMS software

Are PPAP Submissions required to be in English? PPAP Language

Z

zatanaz

Does anyone know where in the manual does it say that all documentation submitted in a PPAP must be in English???

Thank you for your responses.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: PPAP language

Does anyone know where in the manual does it say that all documentation submitted in a PPAP must be in English???

Thank you for your responses.
I take it this is a rhetorical question, and you've already perused the manual in search of such a requirement and didn't find it. It seems pretty obvious to me that you wouldn't submit documentation of any kind to a customer if you weren't sure the customer could understand it. I've personally dealt with instances where suppliers submitted PPAP packages that included documents in languages other than English, and in many of those instances the supplier couldn't read them either, and thus had no way of know whether they met the requirements or not. One of the purposes of PPAP is to make sure that the supplier (and sub-suppliers) understand the requirements, and if the evidence of same is in a language the customer doesn't understand, then the evidence is lacking.

D

dna_leri

PPAP Manual 4th edition section 2.2 states:
"The organization shall also meet all customer-specific PPAP requirements."

If your customer specified english submission or Korean (as happened here) or something else, according to the above you should comply.

Z

zatanaz

Thank you for your response.

So what you're saying is that this is NOT a requirment.

I work for a distribution center in Texas. We have many customers and suppliers from all over the world.
What we do is we take the PPAP that our supplier sends us and we put our own PSW cover sheet and then send it to our customers.
The majority of our suppliers send the documentation in English. However, I have a special case with one of them.
This supplier is in Portugal and my customer is in Germany. The PPAP is in German but how do I review the PPAP if I don't speak German.

What to do??

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Thank you for your response.

So what you're saying is that this is NOT a requirment.

I work for a distribution center in Texas. We have many customers and suppliers from all over the world.
What we do is we take the PPAP that our supplier sends us and we put our own PSW cover sheet and then send it to our customers.
The majority of our suppliers send the documentation in English. However, I have a special case with one of them.
This supplier is in Portugal and my customer is in Germany. The PPAP is in German but how do I review the PPAP if I don't speak German.

What to do??
You tell them that you need the information in English. If that wasn't a contractual requirement, you could be stuck if the supplier refuses. Your own customer-specific requirements (the requirements for your suppliers) should include a requirement for all documentation to be submitted in English, if that's what you need.

D

dna_leri

What to do??
You should specifiy to your suppliers that English is your requirement (if you don't want portuguese submissions).
If your customer does not specifically require German, then you are ok with English. If they do specify German, then you may have translate, potentially using qualified resources.

Z

zatanaz

OK... get it.

I will have to get with sales and find out what special requirements (if any) were quoted.

Thank you all for your responses.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C PPAP Submissions for Thermoplastic Resins (Bulk Material) APQP and PPAP 3
V PPAP Workbooks - Tool to help me organize my PPAP submissions APQP and PPAP 3
A PSO & PPAP Which one? Chrysler Submissions Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
J Machine issue in Cpk/Ppk and Control Plan - PPAP Submissions APQP and PPAP 5
antoine.dias Customer Specific Requirements and PPAP submissions APQP and PPAP 13
C PPAP submissions - Cookie Cutter GR&R's Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Destructive Testing with respect to PPAP submissions APQP and PPAP 4
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 3
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F How to submit a PPAP when a subcontractor is the sole manufacturer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P PPAP samples retention time IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 8
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
T PPAP for distributors? APQP and PPAP 1
A PPAP for Fire extinguisher APQP and PPAP 2
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
F How to submit PPAP without IMDS APQP and PPAP 10
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
K PPAP Phases Vs PPAP Levels APQP and PPAP 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
L Reasons to submit a new PPAP or notify the customer APQP and PPAP 3
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
E Nissan (Renault) PPAP Acronyms (DNote , KFD, IR) APQP and PPAP 2
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Paint shop vs PPAP requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N How to resolve discrepancies in Level 3 PPAP supplier dimensional reports? APQP and PPAP 11
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D PPAP a Rebranded Purchased Product (we don't manufacture) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Solder thermal profiles for PPAP - Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P Automotive Customer asking PPAP for catalogue parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
V PPAP documentation - Submission required in English APQP and PPAP 3
H Informational What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 26
J What level PPAP for 5 critical parts? APQP and PPAP 8
S PPAP Levels compared to Interim Class APQP and PPAP 1
E PPAP Workbook 4th APQP and PPAP 3