Are Refurbished Laptops worth buying?

C

Curtis317

My current windows 7 computer is showing it's age and doing some odd things. I am considering getting a new computer. However I have seen some refurbished laptops for a substantial reduction in price. Has anyone gotten one? Any problems? Would it be dumb to get a windows 7 or should I get a windows 8 laptop? And whose would be best? Toshiba, Dell or HP?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I haven't bought a refurbished computer, but I do buy a lot of "refurbished" peripherals when I can and have been happy with them. The last was a Thunderbolt to 2x eSATA external drive adapter about 6 months ago at 40% off retail and full "original buyer" warranty from the manufacturer. Some say a refurb is better than a new computer/peripheral because they get extensive "quality" checks that standard production models don't get. I can't speak to the reality of that claim.

However, if your current windows 7 computer is just "showing it's age and doing some odd things", but otherwise is fast enough for the software you use, I'd try a format and reinstall the OS and then you applications. Don't forget to back up all data first to an external drive (or 2 if you don't at least run a RAID 1 or 5 and your data is important to you).

Mac person here so I speak about the OS. I still run XP in a virtual machine when I need a Windows PC for something like my old version of Microsoft Project.

But then again - I only buy used cars so a refurb doesn't scare me.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
If your running Windows 7 and the glitchs are mostly software (as opposed to hardware) you may try a software reboot:

Depending on the manufacture of the laptop, you may be able to perform a 'reset to factory condition'. This option deletes everything and resets the laptop (or desktop, it works for either) to the exact same condition as when you pulled it out of it's box fresh from the store.

NOTE: This will format the hard-drive and put the original image file of the computer back on the hard drive. This WILL DELETE EVERYTHING so backup all data, program serial numbers, website favorites, passwords, etc. YOU WILL LOSE IT ALL!! But if the issue is because of bloated software, this will fix. You will have to install all software again (but you would have to do that on a new computer anyway).

I typically see a 100% performance increase when I do this (about once a year--unless I feel lazy :))

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
My brother-in-law used to refurbish. He would also set it up based on what you wanted to do. Never had any issues. Dell for some reason was the most problematic.

Randy

Super Moderator
I've got a client that refurbishes by the thousands and they've got very good stats (which I can't share by the way)

You can feel safe getting one from the "major" mfg's

qualityfox

Involved In Discussions
As far as Windows 7 or Windows 8, unless you get a touchscreen, I would avoid Windows 8. I have it on my non-touchscreen laptop and hate it. :2cents: I haven't heard if people with touchscreens like it any better.

P

PaulJSmith

I have 8.1 on my non-touchscreen HP laptop. I can't say I hate it, but there was certainly a learning curve from my old XP desktop (eMachines). Nothing is where it used to be.

I wouldn't be concerned about buying a refurb as long as it comes with a decent factory warranty, which I believe all of the legitimate ones do.

J

johnboywalton

I bought a refurbished printer a few years ago, so the ink cartridges would match the ones on my other printers. It still runs great!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Tooling Inspection - Re-Inspection of Forge Tooling after it is Refurbished IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S How to define New Equipment? Device is Returned, Refurbished or Repaired Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
I Repair and Service Facility - Customer wants PPAP for Refurbished Equipment APQP and PPAP 3
C Safe Handling of Non-Device Refurbished Medical Equipment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Inspection Forms - Receiving Inspection on Buses that will get Refurbished Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Wes Bucey Buy a "refurbished" laptop computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
T Refurbished class 2 medical device which were returned because of 'Customer Remorse' 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 19
T Which ISO Standard is relevant for Refurbished Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Alex.Jo Re-manufactured vs. Refurbished under FDA QSR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Refurbished and used medical electrical equipment certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
E EN 60601 - Use of Laptops, Computers, PCs placed in a Patient Environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Marc Laptops at U.S. border: No privacy rights Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
Marc Gas-turbine Engine on a Chip Drives Laptops After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Wes Bucey Why did they need laptops in the first place? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
M Are laptops part of ME SYSTEMS? Reading of IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J CEN/TR 17223:2018 Guidance on the relationship between13485 and MDR.. worth the money?? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I AIAG 2018 Quality Summit - Is it worth it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
P ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q Is it worth the effort to implement ISO 31000 Risk based on ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L The ink is dry(ing) on the revision of ISO 14001:2015. “Is the payoff worth the price Imported Legacy Blogs 0
somashekar ISO 13485. Is it worth to the Medical Device Industry. Imported Legacy Blogs 0
L Dale Carnegie course in UK - Is it worth it? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
D Have my CQE - Is it worth "backfilling" other Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
M AIAG Membership Consideration - Worth It? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
I New AIAG CQI guidelines published - Are they worth buying? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Is the AIAG IMDS Summit Productive - Worth the time/investment? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Is ASQ CQM/OE web-based training worth it? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L RAPS (Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society) books - Are they worth it? Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
B Are Premium LinkedIn accounts worth the investment? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
O NET-INSPECT is it worth it? Small Machine Shop doing AS9100 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
H AS9101D Microsoft Word Format: Worth It? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Occupational Hazard....is it worth ? Imported Legacy Blogs 3
N The Worth and Value of Certifications and Degrees Career and Occupation Discussions 15
B 15 Things Worth Remembering Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
jasonb067 AIAG Membership worth it or not? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Advancing in a Career - HELP!! Is it worth it? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Wes Bucey What's this job worth? Career and Occupation Discussions 20
J Quality Manager Exam Reference Material that would be Worth the Investment Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
B ISO/TS 16949 - What's it worth? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Chennaiite What is the loss? A guy buys a chocolate from a shop worth 80 YEN Brain Teasers and Puzzles 20
S Packaged ISO Systems - Are canned policies and procedures worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Marc The end of the road for U.S. carmakers? Are the Big Three worth saving? World News 27
K Are Online Universities worth to join or scam? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13