Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Are Shipping Companies Suppliers?

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,
Are shipping companies considered suppliers? if so, can we issue them SCARs? If they are supplying a service to us should't we rate them the same as any other supplier?
I am asking because I have noticed that we continue to have shipping and receiving issues that are obviously caused by some of the shipping companies. I am actually new at this company and new to this side of business so I am not familiar with how shipping companies are selected and if they need to be rated or not. It does appear to me that we should have some type of mitigation for these issues tho.

thanks,
Nicole

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
Is this a commercial shipping company? Or is it a dedicated shipping company? I guess it depends on which if you'll get a response for a SCAR. Bigger corporations like UPS would generally ignore a supplier corrective action request. Most of the time with the bigger companies, the shipping department would file their complaints when things were destroyed - or they would refuse shipment - but never really brought quality into it. A dedicated shipping company, however, may be more responsive to a corrective action request.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello All,
Are shipping companies considered suppliers? if so, can we issue them SCARs? If they are supplying a service to us should't we rate them the same as any other supplier?
Yes, yes and yes.
If and when you get your SCAR ignored, you should take that into consideration whether to keep using that supplier, together with the availability of acceptable alternatives.
The case of a large supplier ignoring a small customer is not unique to shipping providers.
I say treat these suppliers like any others (generally, the impact of the product/service should be assessed, then take it from there).

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Yes, yes and yes.
If and when you get your SCAR ignored, you should take that into consideration whether to keep using that supplier, together with the availability of acceptable alternatives.
The case of a large supplier ignoring a small customer is not unique to shipping providers.
I say treat these suppliers like any others (generally, the impact of the product/service should be assessed, then take it from there).
Thanks Ronen :)

Top Bottom