Are We Ready for a QMS?

Hi there - new to the board and I need some outside opinions.

My company is less than 10 years old and we operate in an industry that is in its infancy for Quality (HVAC manufacturing). Our strategic business partner indicated last year that they wanted to see a greater commitment to organizational quality this year. Our ears heard QMS! and we began laying plans to start building an ISO 9001 compliant QMS this year. In the last few weeks it has become apparent that the company may not actually be ready for this step. We conducted a Quality Maturity Assessment today and didn't score above a Level 2 in any category. On 'Leadership Support' we were at a Level 1.

My question is, if the industry isn't demanding ISO certification, how do you know when a QMS is the next logical step? We're doing a lot of good work right now building enterprise-level processes and procedures, but it feels like we have a lot of education and consensus building ahead of us in order to get the type of organizational support that will ensure a successful launch of a QMS.

Thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Just sit back and do a simple cost - benefit analysis taking into consideration the pro's and con's. If the costs outweigh your perceived benefits don't waste your time. Regardless of advertising, hype and everything else if down in your gut you see no good reason then just continue to march because it'll become nothing more than an Albatross around your neck. In the end, you'll only get out that which you put in and you'll spend time accomplishing nothing more than an extended game of buzz word bingo.

I've seen it too many times, a MS put into place to be stylish and look good without real expectation.

Now on the other hand, if you can make a good business case and you take a good, honest hard look at what you are currently doing against what a QMS requires you might actually find you've already got in place a good majority of a functioning system requiring little effort into formalizing the process. Look honestly at what you have, stay away from the bogus BS and changes people will say that you need and base your decision on that. Nothing, not one thing is required to be complicated or mandates that you flush what you are presently doing and create a QMS from scratch.

Simply put, get a copy of the quality system document in question, change everything from "the organization shall" to "Do we?" and honestly answer each question and be able to support your answers with proof (evidence)...Write it all down and for everything that gets a "No" turn it into a "Yes" if you can, with the understanding that based on your specific needs, operations and a couple other factors some things might not be applicable to you, and if so support the reasoning with evidence as to "Why".

I tend to over simplify, but that's it in a nutshell....... $1,000 or more of consulting for free.

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Hi there - new to the board and I need some outside opinions.

My company is less than 10 years old and we operate in an industry that is in its infancy for Quality (HVAC manufacturing). Our strategic business partner indicated last year that they wanted to see a greater commitment to organizational quality this year. Our ears heard QMS! and we began laying plans to start building an ISO 9001 compliant QMS this year. In the last few weeks it has become apparent that the company may not actually be ready for this step. We conducted a Quality Maturity Assessment today and didn't score above a Level 2 in any category. On 'Leadership Support' we were at a Level 1.

My question is, if the industry isn't demanding ISO certification, how do you know when a QMS is the next logical step? We're doing a lot of good work right now building enterprise-level processes and procedures, but it feels like we have a lot of education and consensus building ahead of us in order to get the type of organizational support that will ensure a successful launch of a QMS.

Thoughts?
I like your name. ;) Great piece of equipment that is.

Randy, as usual, gave good advice. I would add, get some more info to clarify what your strategic business partner meant by "a greater commitment to organizational quality". IF he/she really meant they want to see ISO9001 implemented, that may be one step in getting the top management commitment that will be critical in that pursuit.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
I stopped reading after you listed your Leadership Support number at a 1. This almost sounds like they are actively against a QMS implementation. I would consider talking to Sales for their perspective on how would having ISO 9001 would help sales. If sales doesnt care I dunno.

Maybe take a look at customer complaints to see if that's an argument.

I also second what Randy above said.

All,

Thank you for your opinion. Some additional information:

Our customer is not looking for ISO certification and within this industry it doesn't make sense today. We had planned on writing the Quality Manual to ISO 9001, but not going for certification.

The customer IS looking for structure and PDCA approach in the way we do business, but they have also told us explicitly that they don't want to be the bad guy that forces it on us. They essentially want us to realize it's the right step forward on our own.

Most of our management grew up within the company and have zero exposure to QMS or ISO so the only internal advocates are within Quality and so far, that message isn't getting through. My question is really about whether now is the right time to force it or do we 'backdoor' many of the elements in the short term (18-24 months)?

jmech

Most of our management grew up within the company and have zero exposure to QMS or ISO so the only internal advocates are within Quality and so far, that message isn't getting through. My question is really about whether now is the right time to force it or do we 'backdoor' many of the elements in the short term (18-24 months)?
Don't add any elements just to conform to ISO 9001 - more QMS requirements do not necessarily mean higher quality and are not always good for the company.

Only add elements that will clearly increase profits / reduce risk / help achieve important business goals (such as keeping your customer who wants structure happy, if that is sufficiently important to your business to justify associated costs).

Any elements that you add, focus on maximizing their value for your company and minimizing their cost, not on satisfying a possible future auditor.

Tagin

All,

Thank you for your opinion. Some additional information:

Our customer is not looking for ISO certification and within this industry it doesn't make sense today. We had planned on writing the Quality Manual to ISO 9001, but not going for certification.

The customer IS looking for structure and PDCA approach in the way we do business, but they have also told us explicitly that they don't want to be the bad guy that forces it on us. They essentially want us to realize it's the right step forward on our own.

• ISO 9001 no longer requires a quality manual. Instead of a manual that gets ignored, I'd focus on getting some concise consensus statement, kind of like a 'mission statement' with quality overtones, which leadership can agree on and believes in. That can become the mantra/slogan that quality gets focused around.
  • Unless you know of an urgent problem area, I'd start first with applying PDCA to your main service you provide. Essentially, working from the center outwards, and hopefully providing the biggest ROI. Call it PDCA, 'feedback loop', 'improvement spiral', whatever makes sense to the company culture, for people to 'get it'.
  • If the above is successful, leadership may then see the value in applying PDCA elsewhere.
  • Management-level PDCA can take the form of monthly or quarterly 'state-of-the-business' meetings, which really are your KPI, mgmt review, etc. meetings.
  • Low-friction changes to processes will be best: people don't want burdensome TPS reports to fill out "just so quality can do their job."

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Our strategic business partner indicated last year that they wanted to see a greater commitment to organizational quality this year. Our ears heard QMS.
Thoughts?
Typically your business partner makes a comment like that after some quality “issues”. Zoom in what the issues were and focus on that. I am sure your business partner could give a rodent’s derrière if your top management is performing structured reviews or if you have an internal audit program. Their feedback and your “understanding” of what they want might be at odds. The way I read it and based on my experience, organizational quality is an expectation that you don’t let the same repeat mistakes happen. Focus on that and make it your first step on the journey for a structured system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Deployment of an "ISO9000-ready" QMS - Multi-facility site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Ajit Basrur How do I label this commercial product ready for clinical study? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Series A ready company - Term for medical devices companies? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K Everybody ready for round 2? Our next audit is in late January IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S When will notified bodies be ready to perform audit to the MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Getting ready for Boeing's AC7130 requirement for suppliers using a CMM AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Printing Machine Make Ready Rapid Changeover Case Study Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A 6S 5 Minute Audit Sheet to guage if a Workspace is Safe and Ready to Go Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Marc Sunday Morning Cartoon - Ready, Woolen and Able Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
T If we are not meeting our Quality Objectives are we ready for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
O When do you say that you are ready for Third-Party Certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 59
P Am I ready to call auditor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
L AS9100 Rev C. - Not ready yet (January 2010) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
V Identification of Operational Prerequisite Programs (oPRP) for ready to eat products Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
T Time to get ready... Imported Legacy Blogs 2
J Getting Employees Ready for TS 16949 Registration Audit - Training Materials IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C RC14001 - Are we ready for a Baseline (Pre-Assessment) Audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
Jim Wynne London is ready for some (American) football Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
Wes Bucey Ready to send your donation? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Survey - What is the demand of Pre-written/ready-to-use calibration procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
A Seeking advice about what I have to do before we're ready for a certification audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H Gage manufacturer is not ready to give guarantee for 10% R&R for the new gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Quality Objective for QMS prior to Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
V Remote QMS Coordinator Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
A How to prepare QMS manual for purchasing department Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
GreatNate Anyone using the Intellect QMS software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
A Electronic forms QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
supadrai Remote Opportunity - Large Scale Glove Factory QMS / RA / Legal Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
C Retention of QMS Plans and Reports ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q New QMS...Old Projects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M ERP / QMS related software standards for Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
T Help with BS EN ISO - IEC 80079-34 2020 (Explosive atmospheres QMS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
R Gap Audit Aerospsace and Rail QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 0
S AS9120 Store QMS packages AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Disappointed in leadership buy-in to QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 67
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
T How you ensure that QMS is effective and efficient? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D ISO 9001 certificate issued by QMS International for 10 years - legit? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Offsite storage of QMS documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2