Are you struggling with your IEC 60601-1 3rd edition testing lab?

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone! I'm just wondering what issues, if any, that you've had with your testing lab when testing your devices to IEC 60601-1 3rd edition? For example, is the testing too expensive? Does it take too long? Are there not enough labs in your area with sufficient expertise for the standard/your device? Anything else?

Or, are you perfectly happy with your lab (because that happens too!)? :D

I'm doing a small study on people's opinions on their 3rd edition testing labs, so whatever information you're willing/able to give, I'm happy to have. Thanks in advance! :thanx:

Full Disclosure: As you can see, I work for a Notified body. But, in accordance with the Elsmar rules, I promise that this is just to get information and not to advertise!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

isoalchemist

Yes, the testing is expensive and time consuming. We have already switched labs once because of poor communications with them as to expectations.

Being new to this type of certification, I found it difficult to understand the requirements and speaking with the laboratories at times they have had problems understanding how the NB want thing interpreted.

it does present a challenge especially to the small manufacturers.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Sarah,

I bet $100 you can't find 1 medical device manufacturer who doesn't think their 60601 testing is too expensive and too lengthy :lol:

If you search Elsmar Cove for "60601" you'll find some "supporting evidence".

Have a great day,
Ronen.

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
I had already run a search, so I don't think I'll take your bet. :D Rather, I was hoping to get a bit more specific feedback. As an example that would never happen, "The lab is too expensive because they insist on using their diamond-and precious-stone-encrusted equipment, etc."

Communication issues, and not adequately communication the testing requirements, is another example (Thank you, isoalchemist!).

:thanx:

S

ssz102

i don't think so
the cost of test is expensive, because labor and time cost are all raise, and the need is too large, meanwhile, the compete between business is more and more stronger

W

Waterman956

Sarah,

Yes we have a lot of trouble with our testing lab. The initial cost was very expensive and the resource burden even more so. We are a low risk device manufacturer yet the amount of information requested is staggering. I am also bothered that the lab seems very rigid in their interpretation of how to implement the standard. Reminds me of when ISO 9000 came along in the early 90's and people including registrars were confused on how to implement.

I am planning a face to face meeting with the lab to try and iron things out. This is the first of a very large number of products we need to push through and frankly we can not afford the financial and resource draw if they are all like this.

Peter Selvey

Staff member
I think the implication here that test labs are bad is perhaps a bit misdirected.

The 3rd edition is a standard which, in polite terms, is suffering a multitude of teething problems.

I myself have had many occasions of staring at the test protocol, cursor blinking, trying to decide whether to go back to the manufacturer and try explain why their response doesn't match what is written in the standard, for a subject that zero impact on the real world, or whether to give up and just write "Pass", in effect falsifying records, and throwing away the principle of third party, impartial, laboratory evaluation.

The true guilty party here is the team that wrote the standard: don't shoot the messenger.

On a more serious note, we do need to look at the process of standard development and in particular methods to validate the need for each requirement, the ability to objectively evaluate compliance, and to eliminate as far possible errors before publication.

In a commercial, competitive world standards play an incredibly important role in avoiding the race to the "lowest common denominator", so I have no doubt that standards will continue to play an important role in the future. But we need to get better and smarter about how standards are made.

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource
We are in the fortunate position that in-house testing for our products is accepted by our Notified Body and most of our customers and potential customers. Our products are "niche" devices and there is no way that a commercial test house or CB test is justifiable.

We have developed the in-house procedure without a great deal of difficulty. We found that many of he more complex requirements do not apply for our products and many other tests can be tackled with simple equipment. Going through all the requirements has meant that we have directly addressed every one of the "..by examination of the Risk Management File.." clauses.

I would suggest that other manufacturers could benefit from in-house testing. Even if that was not allowable for your intended market it means that you have a much better understanding of both the test requirements and of your own equipment. Then, when your test house comes back with a problem / question you will be much more likely to have an answer or counter-argument.

E

Evike

Dear Sarah

You have posted your question more than a year ago, so my reply might not interest you anymore, but it looks like you are logged in today, so here is my opportunity to went :mg:

I'm a regulatory affairs person for a small Canadian medical device manufacturer, and I'm in this field for more than 15 years. I've never felt this much frustration doing my job EVER!

We are developing a class II low risk device and currently seeking the 4th quote for the 60601-1 3rd edition testing - trying every lab in the Toronto area.
The best quote so far (after weeks of haggling) is $41,000.00 !!! In my previous job (in the era of 2nd edition) a very-very similar device's testing used to cost 5-$6000.00, they are in the market place for years and they proved to be safe. The 3rd edition introduces a level of requirements that is bordering paranoia frankly, but more to the point is a very blunt instrument with very little room to distinguish between real safety concerns. Is it an MRI machine or a blood pressure monitor? Doesn't matter, let's go through all 396 pages plus collaterals. And the testing labs taking advantage of this aspect.

Here are my real-life experiences and the factors contributing to my extreme frustration:
- every testing lab is avoiding to give you even a tentative quote, before extensive checklists and component details - they have to know your device, fair enough; yet after all the details we give, they come up with set prices, especially for collateral standards, all of a sudden totally ignoring the specifics of the device. Case in point: I've pointed out to one of them, that form 45 clauses in a collateral standard 20 is not applicable to my device, 5 are a repeat from another collateral, 14 requires a simple inspection of the labeling and ONLY 4 requires them to execute technical testing requiring their laboratory settings. It doesn't matter the price is stuck at $8000.00
- the checklists for Risk Management the labs are giving out are all different, some are outdated (the latest lab asked me to fill out a table running on 31 pages which was based on the 60601-1 TRF (test report form) version G (when in fact is version H is now in effect) based on ISO 14971:2000 not matching the latest ISO 14971:2007 which is the harmonized standard by now
- these RM checklists are de facto doing most of the labs' job to review my Risk Management, yet for this item alone I get quoted 7-$8000.00
- in order to facilitate the labs job of risk management review, our Risk Management Report morphed into a monster document, becoming unreadable, full of NA's, and addressing issues which for all practical purposes don't have anything to do with the actual device, but is a clause in 60601-1
- our device has an inert USB powered "dummy" hardware component with the real brain (and innovative aspects) incorporated in the software part; 60601-1 has 5 pages on the subject (clause 14 PEMS), delegating this whole issue to other standards (life cycle, architectural design, software verification, etc), testing labs having precious little to do with any of it, yet THIS IS MY DEVICE!

And then the finale: when I face my Notifying Body, my risk management will be scrutinized thoroughly AGAIN - this time on it's merit (I have been there, I know), namely the software development cycle, software testing, requirements traceability, usability, etc; great focus will be on clinical validation. The "Colours of the insulation of conductors" or the outcome of a push-test will be absolutely non-essential and not touched-upon with good reason.
So why the biggest cost-item (bordering prohibitive) in our regulatory budget is the 60601-1 3rd edition testing??

After 15+ years in the medical device industry I always felt that the regulatory burden is too big to bolster innovation, but the 60601-1 3rd edition is a down-right killer. No sane inventor with ideas for smart high-tech consumer oriented medical devices to better our healthcare outcomes will step in this sector.

Sorry for the long post - you asked for it:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Struggling with the Gap Analysis Documentation for IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Proud Liberal Struggling w/ GR&R on ID Spline Runout Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
T Struggling with ISO 13485:2016 Clause 6.2 - Level of Risk Associated with Work ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Struggling with Training and Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Struggling with definition of Initial Importer and First Title 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
M A newbie to RM struggling with the policy ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
A Struggling with Process and Sub-Process Validation - Brain Catheter Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
L Struggling with Writing Effective Root Cause Statements Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 13
B Quality Planning process map - Struggling to define all the inputs and outputs Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 17
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
C Struggling to teach a co-worker how to read dial calipers, any advice? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K Repetitive Nonconformance (Struggling with Corrective Action Tools) - Need Help! Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
K Struggling with keeping part-time internal auditors in our program Internal Auditing 15
H Still Struggling.... Control chart practice problems for the CQT Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
K IEC 62304 - Functional and performance requirements for SOUP items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Hand transmitted vibration 9.6.3 of IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A IEC 60601 11.2.2.1 Risk of Fire in an Oxygen Rich Environment, Source of Ignition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
W IEC 60601 - Essential performance c.2.34 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A IEC 62471 vs IEC/TR 62778 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
B IEC 61010, Touch currents related to burns at higher frequencies (cl. 6.3, A.3) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M IEC 61000-4-2: Requirements for coating declared as insulating IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
B IEC 61010-1 - Voltage / Dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B IEC 60601-2-43 - Clause 203.6.103 - Physical button? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M IEC 60601-1 1988 - Device developed in 2012 with standard of 1988 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A IEC 60601-1 Dielectric Strength test for battery operated devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M When is EN 62133-1 (new version i.e. IEC 62133:2017) mandatory in EU Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R IEC 60601-1 - Different methods of achievement of the isolation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K What is mean by Oxygen Rich Environment as per the IEC 60601-1 clause no 11.2.2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
K Dielectric strength test as per IEC 60601-1 -Infant incubator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A Unused SIP/SOPs - IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-1-2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
adir88 Amendment 1 of IEC 62366-1 - Details yet? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 0
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
K Primary Operating Functions (POF) in IEC 62366-1:2015. IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M IEC 62304 Class A Project IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 15
B Clause 5.1.12 of Technical Standard IEC 62304/A1 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5