Argument for the retirement of Times New Roman Font

D

DocGuy

I am curious to learn if anyone has come across opposition from internal members of your company to obsolete the use of Times New Roman font. One of my collegues referenced the article from Motive Guides site - creativepro.com /article/typetalk-do-s-and-don-ts

This is the first time I have ever heard of this and my company uses a manual paper document control system. Also argues that we do a bulk of our document usage on screen and not on paper.

The argument is that individuals whom work intimately with graphics and web design are frustrated with the font times new roman, and recommeds the universal retirement of the font.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted
I am a big proponent of san-serif (Arial, et. al.) The gratuitous serifs actually do little to aid in reading ease. I am sure you will find studies that support either, but I vote for san-serif.

D

DocGuy

Also MicroSoft obsoleted Times New Roman in Word 2007 version but this change was not publicly annouced so very few know about it.

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
I always prefer Serif font in all our company documentations, especially the FDA regulated industries (Medical Devices) the user manuals are printed in serif font. The USFDA’s "Write it Right"- (Recommendations for Developing User Instruction Manuals for Medical Devices Used in Home Health Care) is insisting to use serif font. (Please refer below, I just copy and pasted)

Serif is a style of print that has extra fine lines that finish off the main strokes of a letter. The print in this manual is Serif. The sans senif style has no extra strokes in the letters. The eye uses the extra strokes as anchors to stay on the correct line, making serif easier to read than sans serif in text. When you write text, use the serif style if possible. For individual words, such as headings and signal words, the sans serif style may be used”.

Last edited:
T

True Position

I am a big proponent of san-serif (Arial, et. al.) The gratuitous serifs actually do little to aid in reading ease. I am sure you will find studies that support either, but I vote for san-serif.
I must disagree. Serif's are great, my biggest complaint about Comic Sans was the 'sans'. Searching the internet finally found the solution: Comic Serif.

Attachments

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Also MicroSoft obsoleted Times New Roman in Word 2007 version but this change was not publicly annouced so very few know about it.
I'm not sure I am following what you are saying, we use Word 2007 and Times New Roman was the default font. I quickly changed mine to Arial. (or any other sans serif font) I absolutely hate reading anything in Times New Roman especially if it is used in the creation of forms.

D

Duke Okes

Interesting perspectives but on the scale of things to worry about this one isn't going on my list!

Top Bottom