SBS - The best value in QMS software

Arima Output - Relationship between my raw data and the residuals generated

L

Larakine

Hello

I'm an undergraduate at the university of Leeds, I'm currently working on my dissertation and at the moment this involves analysing time series data (Tree ring width series for a number of trees at a number of sites over about a century). This data is fairly noisey and it was suggested to me that I use ARIMA to smooth my data and then utilise the residuals.

I'm half aware of what I'm doing and what it means but I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to fully describe it and justify doing it in my dissertation write up so feel free to asume I know nothing when replying because I don't know much beyond that.

My main questions:

+ What is the nature of the relationship between my raw data and the residuals generated after perfomong an ARIMA (I'm altering the autoregressive and the moving average and ignoring the d function).

+ What do the output values in the session window mean? (I'm used to simple hypothesis testing but as I'm supposedly smoothing the data and not testing a hypothesis when perfoming and ARIMA the value of P in relation to any pre-determined significance level means nothing to me)

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Caroline

p.s. I'm also not using ARIMA to plot future values so don't worry about explaining that either.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
My main questions:

+ What is the nature of the relationship between my raw data and the residuals generated after perfomong an ARIMA (I'm altering the autoregressive and the moving average and ignoring the d function).
The residuals are the differences between the values predicted by your ARIMA model and the actual values. Residuals should be normally distributed, and should display random patterns when plotted versus fits and versus order.

+ What do the output values in the session window mean? (I'm used to simple hypothesis testing but as I'm supposedly smoothing the data and not testing a hypothesis when perfoming and ARIMA the value of P in relation to any pre-determined significance level means nothing to me)
The p-value in ARIMA is testing the hypothesis that the coefficient/constant is = 0. A p-value < 0.05 means the coefficient/constant is not = 0.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Is ARIMA (Time Series Analysis) Model appropriate for this Dental Research? Using Minitab Software 4
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
C Output Matters! Internal Auditing 4
C Essential Design Output(s) and Design transfer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
S What's meant by ISO9001 clause 8.7 non conforming output? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
shimonv Design input/output traceability for mechanical parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
K Nonconforming Output vs. Nonconformity vs. Nonconforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J Medical Device Electronics - Secondary to output isolation for 1 MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
B Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
T Control of Nonconforming Product Output (Components Parts) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
K What does MIC, CMI and CLSQ stand for in the measurement software output? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
R [Minitab] DOE Output vs. Actual Data Using Minitab Software 6
S OHSAS 18001 Typical Input and Output Examples Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
O Camio Output Control - Programming on Camio 4.6 CMM Software Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Minitab 13 Cumulative Distibution Plot and Output Using Minitab Software 3
G Device Output (Reports) - Any regulatory requirements? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
somashekar What is D&D Output for appropriate information for Production? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Essential Design Output - Still a problem 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
R Spacing between the solder eyes of the fuse input/output leads IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
M Management Review - AS9100 Clause 5.6.3 Review Output AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Unclean Gages affect Measurement Output General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Tutorial wanted for interpretation of Minitab GLM Output Using Minitab Software 6
A ISO/TS 16949 - 7.3.3.2 Manufacturing Process Design Output IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Should Medical Device SIGNAL INPUT/OUTPUT PART be overloaded? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F AS9100 Management Review NCR help - Output of the MR is not Adequate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Management Review Meeting (MRM) Input & Output Interpretation Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
P I-MR Chart Interpretation - Minitab Chart Output Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Definition Output and Outcome - Differences and Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 13
A ?820.30(d) Design Output Release - Before or After Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
A Best Way for SPC via Optical Comparator with output to Computer for Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Input/Output/Specifications - Records vs. Forms 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
S Calibrating Thermometer with Simulated Output Temperature from Fluke 5520A General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S TS 16949 7.3.3.2 Question - Manufacturing Process Design Output. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A Identification of "Essential Design Output" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
D Design Input/Output and Design V&V (Verification and Validation) Interpretations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
R How to understand the "full scale peak-to-valley output" mentioned in IEC 60601-2-27 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Design Input & Output in Stages - Overkill? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J Use of Consultants - Design Output Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Management Review Input and Output Content Requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
sagai Are some Design Input elements part of the Design Output? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Confusion in writing a SIPOC (Supplier, Input, Process, Output, Customer) Six Sigma 5
P Inner Diameter Surface Finish Ra Value vs. Surface Finish Graph Output Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
R Design Input/Output Form - Your feedback appreciated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Do you consider 'unintended' process output(s) while mapping a process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K What is 'output of risk management' in ISO 13485, Cl 7.3.2(e).? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Inputs vs. Output: How to check dependence? Six Sigma 11
L Questions: Laser output within +/-20% deviation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3