Article 22 MDR System

Okay, I need some help on this, as I am total lost. Manufacturer A makes a product and Manufacture B makes a product. Neither are a medical device until they are connected together, separate they are just component pieces. How do you go about writing a letter stating that Manufacture A wants Manufacture B to be the one to do the tech file and taking all liability of Manufacture A. (This probably makes zero sense, but I am at a loss.) Any help would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Well, there is no way to "sugar coat" this but to say that you are not setup nor do you have the resources needed to meet the regulatory requirements of MDR. Then ask if they can take the lead on the regulatory activities.

Good luck,
Shimon

krm29

Registered
Out of curiosity, are you asking for a (university) spin-off by any chance? Problems like this are common because of funding and/or personnel issues. In any case, asking a supplier to become legal manufacturer is probably met with a "no". Who wants liability for a product they are not the owner of?

Nope, funding is no issue. Company A makes one component and Company B makes one component and when put together they are considered a medical device. Company A wants Company B to complete the Tech File on the products. Basically asking how to go about writing an authorization letter for Company B to use Company A's component in their Tech File.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Basically asking how to go about writing an authorization letter for Company B to use Company A's component in their Tech File.
For that you need a commercial or quality agreement between company A and company B that also specifies who is the legal manufacturer.

Shimon

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
In my opinion, you are outsourcing the R&D in the described case. Company B is your service provider - supplier. For starting, see ISO 13485, 7.4. I believe such scenario requires a pretty detalied contract.

krm29

Registered
Such a contract needs to specify who is responsible for what, who maintains which files, in what format files are transferred, how often are transfers required, if something goes wrong who is responsible, traceability, etc. etc. Basically as Billy says, it requires a pretty detailed contract.

Such a contract needs to specify who is responsible for what, who maintains which files, in what format files are transferred, how often are transfers required, if something goes wrong who is responsible, traceability, etc. etc. Basically as Billy says, it requires a pretty detailed contract.
Thank you! I agree I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track as we have several legal agreements between the two companies already I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I was missing.

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
I'm not an expert in this area, but I'm missing an important part in the original question:
Manufacturer A makes a product and Manufacture B makes a product. Neither are a medical device until they are connected together ...
WHO does connect these devices, is this manufacturer A, or B, or a new manufacturer C? That one manufacturer holds responsibility for everything (and can outsource it via contracts).
You cannot sell part A (nit MD) and part B (not MD) separately and ask the customer to combine them (suddenly MD), or can you? The entity providing the instructions in that case would hold responsibility, in my eyes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
T MDR article 22 - System of 2 CE products and validation / usability? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
U MDD Article 12/ MDr Article 22 interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR Article 22 Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L EU MDR Article 86 PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
A MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 9
C Article 16 MDR - Medicine packaged together with Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
T EU MDR Article 61- Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-7 Guidance on Article 15 of the Medical Device Regulation (MDR) and in vitro Diagnostic Device Regulation (IVDR) regarding a “person re Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
E MDR Article 117 / Impact to New Marketing Authorization Applications Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Is MDR Article 61(5) Unrealistic? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
D Responsible for regulatory compliance (Article 15 of MDR 2017/745) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S EU MDR - Liability Clause per article 31 EU Medical Device Regulations 22
M Article 22 - Include statement in procedure pack? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API SPEC Q1 Clause 5.6.1.2.C).2) First Article Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
Ed Panek Is anyone familiar with Article 60 Certificate of Free Sale EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Interesting Article Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A Medical First Article - Can it be a Delta? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Addition of IFU on local language by distributor - Article 16? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
briteme4 AS9102 First Article Inspection - do I need a second reviewer and signer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C First Article Inspections - 'how to measure' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Component maintenance qualification - Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 Article 5 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
M Vigilance - incident found in an article EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dgrainger Informational MHRA guidance on CE UKNI - Article 5.5 - 2021-02 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Article 18: Implant Card and information to be communicated. EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Translational Requirements - Article 120 EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Expected lifetime of the device-Article 18 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Economic operator responsibilities - when the Importer is also Distributor - Article 13 EU Medical Device Regulations 1