AS 9100 Rev C "10 Minutes" Presentation to Non-Users needed

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
As I visit different aerospace companies,they have asked me to give a short presentation on AS 9100 Rev C.

Here is what I provided to them... but more important -

what else should I include in this presentation. NOTE: Presentation is for accountants, stockholders, community representative,... you get the drift.

1. Each Company must provide an overview of how they operate. That overview is considered "Processes". The process are mainly focused on the production area (i.e. Section 7 of the standard) and section 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction.

2. Once the processes have been identified, the company must define what characteristic or metric they want to measure.
NOTE: the use of the "Turtle" diagram is an example of the tools available.

3. They need to show 12 month of data (preferably in a bar chart), but more important, they need to show that the established goals for each process have been met.
NOTE: Realistic goals are based on previous 6 month of data.

4. Auditors will review the overall performance - if the overall result has not met the established goals then an NCR will be issued.

5. Risk Assessment must be established for each of the defined process. But more important, auditors will evaluate the actions that management is taking for those high risk situation. NOTE: an FMEA is one of the quality tools that is used in this process.

6 Finally, some of the element in the standards have been clarified, moved or eliminated.

End of Presentation

Looking forward for feedback, samples of presentation and opinions

Last edited:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: AS 9100 Rev C "10 minutes" presentation to non-users

Can I assume that this is just a brief overview of the changes to the standard, not the whole of Rev C?

One thing caught my attention right off the bat:
4. Auditors will review the overall performance - if the overall result has not met the established goals then a "MAJOR" NCR will be issued.
This needs some clarification. If a goal is not met, then the organization must take appropriate action(s). If appropriate actions are not being taken, then a nonconformity will be issued.

dsanabria

It is my understanding that once a PEAR is issued and the goals of the metrics have not been met then... there are 2 choices:

PEAR INSTRUCTION:

Effectiveness: extent to which planned activities are realized and planned results achieved (reference ISO 9000).
NOTE 1: A major (ma) NCR shall be issued when the effectiveness level of the process is rated a "1".
NOTE 2: A major (ma) or minor (mi) NCR shall be issued when the effectiveness level of the process is rated a "2" (see nonconformity definitions in clause 3).

Id this what you are making a reference to?

Thanks for the input - need to improve the presentation.

howste

Thaumaturge

Yes, and both of those options imply that appropriate actions haven't been taken. Option 3 also shows that goal(s) haven't been met, but that they are taking appropriate action. It says "Implemented; planned results are not achieved, but appropriate actions being taken."

This correlates with the text of AS9100 clause 8.2.3: "When planned results are not achieved, correction and corrective action shall be taken, as appropriate."

dsanabria

Yes, and both of those options imply that appropriate actions haven't been taken. Option 3 also shows that goal(s) haven't been met, but that they are taking appropriate action. It says "Implemented; planned results are not achieved, but appropriate actions being taken."

This correlates with the text of AS9100 clause 8.2.3: "When planned results are not achieved, correction and corrective action shall be taken, as appropriate."
I must admit that you have enlighten me in clause 8.2.3

The subject that we auditors struggle is when do we issue an NCR. Must auditors apply common since - i.e. goal is 90% but they are at 89....

but to your point... I need to modify the verbal presentation.

howste

Thaumaturge

If every time they missed a target they got a major nonconformity, I suspect most companies would immediately "dumb down" their goals. This would have the opposite of the desired effect that we're hoping for with AS9100.

dsanabria

That was the message from the AATT training and all the auditors scratched their heads and took out more hairs (for those that have some) as to what happened to using common sence and working with suppliers to meet requirements.

All we remeberd is - "If goals are not met - MAJOR finding under 4.1c & f.(period)

but I agree... auditors must provide feedback - and 8.2.3 is a proper avenue unless they are way off.

howste

Thaumaturge

It sounds like you got a different message than what I heard at the AATT training session I attended. They did emphasize that inaction would lead to a nonconformity being written, but that appropriate actions would lead to improvement, and this was the desired outcome of measurement of processes.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

dsanabria

Can I assume that this is just a brief overview of the changes to the standard, not the whole of Rev C?

One thing caught my attention right off the bat:

This needs some clarification. If a goal is not met, then the organization must take appropriate action(s). If appropriate actions are not being taken, then a nonconformity will be issued.
Thanks for the feedback - very instructional and a better understanding of how the instructors of the AATT course are putting unintentional misinformation.

Top Bottom