AS 9100D internal auditor training requirements

QAguygoqa

Starting to get Involved
Must internal auditors need to be trained on AS9100D to conduct internal audits, even if they are ISO 9001-2015 trained? or is it that the auditor has to be competent.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Must internal auditors need to be trained on AS9100D to conduct internal audits, even if they are ISO 9001-2015 trained? or is it that the auditor has to be competent.
My simple answer is yes.

How can they perform internal audits to a standard that they haven't been trained on? AS9100 and ISO9001 have some differences.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
The answer is - they should! but it is not a requirement of the standard. There is no need for training and or for competence. However, you get what you invest in it.

A good competent internal auditor / external auditor or consultant would add value to your processes and in essence, that is what you are looking for.

This is the only requirement: select auditors and conduct audits to ensure objectivity and the impartiality of the audit process;

Nope. If they are adults, they can read AS9100D, I'm guessing. Who needs "training" on something we can read? Seriously, what's the point of spending money on having someone read a set of requirements off a Powerpoint slide presentation?

As the ISO 9001:2015 requirements state, have you identified competencies? Do your internal auditors need to be competent in AS9100D? As in chapter and verse? Or is it better they know YOUR QMS and do an effective job auditing that? My money is on the later.

dsanabria

Nope. If they are adults, they can read AS9100D, I'm guessing. Who needs "training" on something we can read? Seriously, what's the point of spending money on having someone read a set of requirements off a Powerpoint slide presentation?

As the ISO 9001:2015 requirements state, have you identified competencies? Do your internal auditors need to be competent in AS9100D? As in chapter and verse? Or is it better they know YOUR QMS and do an effective job auditing that? My money is on the later.

NOTE: the standard does not require to be competent, trained or have internal auditors trained but...

What makes sense of your investment in getting individual to know the requirements, implementation and effectiveness of the process interaction..

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Yep. All you really need a is a copy of the standard and access to this site.

A few years ago we had a "finding" because our internal auditors where not "trained" to the updated version (I think it was the 2008?). My comment was exactly what you said -- when they prepare for the audit, the pick up the standard and read the applicable parts. He wanted them to document that they read it -- that was "training" according to him. It was laughable.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
NOTE: the standard does not require to be competent,
It doesn't? :mg:
What does this mean?

The organization shall:
a) determine the necessary competence of person(s) doing work under its control that affects the performance and effectiveness of the quality management system;
b) ensure that these persons are competent on the basis of appropriate education, training, or experience;
c) where applicable, take actions to acquire the necessary competence, and evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken;
d) retain appropriate documented information as evidence of competence.

dsanabria

It doesn't? :mg:
What does this mean?
Sidney

Really

Taking information from one clause 7.2 to make it fit to consultant, external and internal auditors....

Really??? WOW

7.2 Competence

The organization shall:

a. determine the necessary competence of person(s) doing work under its control that affects the performance and effectiveness of the quality management system;

b. ensure that these persons are competent on the basis of appropriate education, training, or experience;

c. where applicable, take actions to acquire the necessary competence, and evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken;

d. retain appropriate documented information as evidence of competence.

NOTE: Consideration should be given for the periodic review of the necessary competence.

NOTE: Applicable actions can include, for example, the provision of training to, the mentoring of, or the re-assignment of currently employed persons; or the hiring or contracting of competent persons.

dsanabria

Wow? So, you think the requirements don't apply to internal auditors?

Really?
Is not what I think - it is the interpretation of ANAB, IAQG and CB.

I have written my share of NCR againt this issue just to learn that it is not really applicable to internal audit...

So, if you could change their minds - I am in your corner but until then...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R AS 9100D internal audit checklist AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
DuncanGibbons Clear differences between ISO 13485 and AS 9100D requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
DuncanGibbons How does AS 9100D correlate or differ from NADCAP accreditation? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
Marc IAQG announces 9100D:2016 Deployment Support Webinars (Winter 2017) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
M AS 9100D Sections 7.2 and 7.3 - "Control" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 2
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Software for Supplier Charge back and internal PPM General Information Resources 2
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
I What direction do you provide your internal auditors on OFIs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 3
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
Ron Rompen Internal Quality Alert Program Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
Q Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1