AS 9100D Sections 7.2 and 7.3 - "Control"

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
AS 9100D section 7.2 says “The organization shall: a. determine the necessary competence of person(s) doing work under its control… “

and 7.3 says “The organization shall ensure that persons doing work under the organization's control are aware of:”

Are the “persons doing work under” the organization’s control referred to in these sections ONLY our own employees, and not our suppliers’ employees?

Under 8.4 we are to exert controls over our suppliers, but I am assuming 7.2 and 7.3 are only talking about control over my own company’s people. Am I seeing this correctly?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
I believe 7.2 & 7.3 are talking about the employees (and contractors) working directly for the organization. The requirements for suppliers' personnel are listed in 8.4.3c and 8.4.3m.

poh.s.lim

Poh S. Lim (Minuteman Resources Pte Ltd)
AS 9100D section 7.2 says “The organization shall: a. determine the necessary competence of person(s) doing work under its control… “

and 7.3 says “The organization shall ensure that persons doing work under the organization's control are aware of:”

Are the “persons doing work under” the organization’s control referred to in these sections ONLY our own employees, and not our suppliers’ employees?

Under 8.4 we are to exert controls over our suppliers, but I am assuming 7.2 and 7.3 are only talking about control over my own company’s people. Am I seeing this correctly?
Hi Mike,

I would interpret these 'persons' as both employees and contractors, since it is the work under the organization's control i.e. there is a contractual obligation on the part of the organization for that piece of work. Regardless of whether those persons are direct hires (employees) or contract workers (non-employees), so long as they perform work that the organization is obligated to deliver, the clauses 7.2 and 7.3 still applies.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Best wishes, and Happy Thanksgiving 2016!

Poh S. Lim
Singapore

Kronos147

Hi Mike,

I would interpret these 'persons' as both employees and contractors, since it is the work under the organization's control i.e. there is a contractual obligation on the part of the organization for that piece of work.
While I would not disagree with the above, I believe an experienced auditor would find issues with 8.4.1/8.4.2 when it comes to control of contractors, rather than 7.2/7.3.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R AS 9100D - Containment and Corrective action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
DuncanGibbons Clear differences between ISO 13485 and AS 9100D requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
DuncanGibbons How does AS 9100D correlate or differ from NADCAP accreditation? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Q AS 9100D internal auditor training requirements Internal Auditing 16
R AS 9100D internal audit checklist AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Marc IAQG announces 9100D:2016 Deployment Support Webinars (Winter 2017) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Several sections of traditional 510(K) have the same or similar requirement of content. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
J AS9100D Sections related to 1st Piece and In-Process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H ISO 13485 - Monitoring and Measurement of Processes (Sections 8.2.5 / 8.2.6) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Help sections in Software Programs as Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N ISO 14971 Risk Analysis - Sections 4.2 and 4.3 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A ISO 17025 sections state "Shall have a Policy and Procedure" ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Technical Files Sections ? Have you the experience asks a NB? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GURU SDI VDA 6.3 Hand Book - Two sections for Potential Analysis VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
G Revision of 21 CFR sections 11, 801, 803, 806, 820 and 821 in April 2011? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
P Is it acceptable to issue only one general PEAR for 7.5 or one for each sub-sections? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
K Food Safety Manual Policy Statements on some sections of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
M GD&T - True Position Callouts for Sections of Studs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Procedure Content - Headings (Sections) & their Meanings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J 5S in Office Area Sections - Presentation wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
S Review/Revision and Approval sections of SOP's and WI's Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
amjadrana Sections 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 Verification and validation ownership Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
N Question for internal audit (checklist) of all sections Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
A Quality System Manual Revision Control when the manual has sections Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Operating Procedures and Work Procedures - Document Sections ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Cleaning and Sterilization - ISO 13485 sections 6.4 and 7.5.1.2.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K QSR Sections for a Medical Device - Seven questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B FAI (First Article Inspection) per AS9102 Form 2, sections 5 & 6 question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S MDD Audit Plan that covers ISO 13485 sections and the MDD sections ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M ISO 9001 Clause 7.5 vs. QS-9000 Sections 4.10 & 4.19? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T ISO 9001 headings in Excel spreadsheet with all the QS-9000 sections listed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
M What MUST be signed and dated? FDA QSR requires signatures for specific sections ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Linking control chart with control plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T IEC 62304 : Risk control for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
N Change Control for processes & products Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Change Control Numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Operation of possible rework in control plan FMEA and Control Plans 8
K MHLW MO169 2021 Japan Ministerial Ordinance on Standards for Manufacturing Control and Quality Control for Medical Devices and In-Vitro Diagnostics Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
D Using electronic lab notebooks in the design control process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Process & Product Characteristic in Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 17
D How to calculate the A4 constants in Median/Range control charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Nihls Quality Control (stability) Chart for CMM's - How the control limits are to be calculated Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M Change control on Tracking Sheet ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11