As a consultant, have you ever fired a client? If so, when?

J

JaneB

I fired a client last week. This is something I find hard to do, and have done only on very rare occasions. (But I've got much better at vetting potential clients before I accept them.)

I had had misgivings for quite some time. IMO, the main weakness stemmed from where it usually does (at the very top). And that certainly wasn't going to change. So after working at it for a considerable period of time, and attempting a number of strategies, I realised I had neither confidence in nor respect for their top management, and thus I really didn't feel good about working with them. At which point I terminated the engagement.

Now obviously, I've spent some time thinking it over, including action/s to make such an engagement even less likely in future. But I'm interested in other points of view, to hear if/when other consultants have fired clients. I'm defining 'firing' here as choosing to terminate an engagement and voluntarily ceasing to work with a client.

Have you ever done so? If so, when? Do you find it easy or hard? What criteria did you apply? And how did you disengage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Gert Sorensen

Re: As a consultant, do you ever fire a client? If so, when?

Never fired a client, no. But, from your description it looks like you did the right thing. :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

You go girl :D

D

David DeLong

In my 20 years as a Quality Systems Consultant, I did not FIRE a client but I did refused to be associated with them. Maybe that could be considered the same.

In one case, I developed an ISO 9000 system and prior to their 3rd party audit, I reviewed their internal audit. I found that they had fudged a lot of data. I was to be onsite as an observer during the audit but declined. As a Consultant, my reputation is vital and never get involved in a company that fudges records.

In the second case, I was developing an QS9000 system and was just about completed but the system was stalled. I had a "job jar" where the company was to do some tasks prior to my returning but they were not being accomplished. I was getting a phone call the day prior to my visit to make sure that I brought my tennis equipment so we could play doubles and have supper together (I like tennis too) but no movement in the system. The final straw was when they hired a new Quality Manager who had never worked in the field before and he decided he knew more about quality than I did with over 30 years experience. I am outa there!!!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I fired a client last week. This is something I find hard to do, and have done only on very rare occasions. (But I've got much better at vetting potential clients before I accept them.)

I had had misgivings for quite some time. IMO, the main weakness stemmed from where it usually does (at the very top). And that certainly wasn't going to change. So after working at it for a considerable period of time, and attempting a number of strategies, I realised I had neither confidence in nor respect for their top management, and thus I really didn't feel good about working with them. At which point I terminated the engagement.

Now obviously, I've spent some time thinking it over, including action/s to make such an engagement even less likely in future. But I'm interested in other points of view, to hear if/when other consultants have fired clients. I'm defining 'firing' here as choosing to terminate an engagement and voluntarily ceasing to work with a client.

Have you ever done so? If so, when? Do you find it easy or hard? What criteria did you apply? And how did you disengage?
I can deal with ignorance and low mental capacity, but catching the client (the top guy or his Board of Directors) lying to me about material facts calls for a very instantaneous "sit down" to clear the air. Only once (nearly thirty years ago in my investment banking days) has that not turned things back in the proper direction. We not only terminated that relationship, but we sued and won (in settlement) for the fee we would have earned in a successful IPO. In that case, there was a serious case of fraud in their plans, thwarted by our action. Being pragmatic, we did not have to mention the fraud conspiracy in our court pleading - the mere hint of publicity surrounding a court action was sufficient to prod them into settlement.

As you point out, each instance of a "breakdown" makes the consultant/advisor much smarter in Contract Review BEFORE getting caught in a bad situation. One of the great levelers is a VERY "up front" list of intolerable actions by either client or advisor, spelled out in terms of money forfeiture.

Side note - I expect lies from staff who are fearful of losing their "comfort zone." I see part of my task as being up front with the staff telling them frankly whether the job is on the line or not. Mostly - I try to make the comfort zone "future picture" a mutually desired goal and actually set up severance and relocation systems if divisions or departments will be closed. Truth eliminates lots of fear of the unknown and eliminates a lot of sabotage of the change initiative.

Everything a consultant does depends on an open and honest relationship with the top managers of the client.

Note this all applies to true consultants/advisors, not to "contract workers" or temporary workers who are merely there in place of a full time employee.

Contract workers are often employed by middle managers, not top managers. Contract workers are rarely change managers and rarely set their own agendas, often working under direction to someone else's plan.

J

I'm not a consultant so I never "fired a client", but I'm sure most of us have all been in employment situations where we reached a point of having just having to move on. I know I have been.

It appears you did everything possible and then made the only honorable choice open to you. And you will be a better consultant for it.
You held your principles and good name at the expense of an unworthy client and that, my friend, is a good bargain.

James

Randy

Super Moderator

Fire a client? Not that I can recall.

I did one time, while working for another CB, witness the Lead Auditor after a closing meeting ended real early tell the owner of a company to commit an un-natural REDACTED act with himself. That might be the same thing. (The lead auditor also owned the CB so he didn't get fired).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Randy's story reminds me of the concept that since we (consultants, advisors, auditors, etc.) are only on site for a short time, we have the luxury of knowing we CAN leave and don't have to hang around and suffer repeated abuse from clients. Therefore, the most satisfying punishment for an advisor to give to an abuser is to simply walk away and let him abuse the empty space where you were. Especially at my age, I don't have to strut and pose as "macho man" and curse at a guy or offer to thrash him to get "one up." My latest tactic is to interrupt such an abuser (on the job or in a saloon) in mid tirade and say, "Gosh. I just don't have time to hear the end of this. Goodby."

Randy

Super Moderator

Yeah, the Lead essentially said the CB didn't need the business. This was the audit where even though the recommendation was for certification the MR got fired at the closing meeting.

S

somerqc

HOLY! And I thought I have worked for some rude, ignorant, pompous people in my past (early in my career when I had to take the abuse to get the experience). Although, for those people I might have said "thank you" if they did that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Has an Implementation by a Consultant EVER Failed? Consultants and Consulting 62
Ed Panek Consultant Request SaMD AI "Expert" FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
qualprod External consultant into a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M Seeking mentor/consultant for orthopaedic soft goods regulations Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
M Seeking Consultant for Orthopedic Start Up company Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S Software design document NMPA guidance and consultant China Medical Device Regulations 4
qualprod Can a consultant be audited instead of QMS responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Supplier Qualification for Engineering Consultant? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
chris1price EtO Sterilisation Consultant Wanted Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
JoCam MDR Gap Analysis - Consultant fees EU Medical Device Regulations 10
E Consultant with Office 365 experience Consultants and Consulting 2
D Automotive Hospitality Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 11
L AS 9100 D consultant in Delhi, India AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Clinical Evaluation Report - Consultant Recommendations Consultants and Consulting 9
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 Needed in France (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 4
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
N Is consultant prohibited in ISO9001 audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
N Is ISO14001 consultant allowed to attend ISO14001 audit? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 17
S ISO 13485 Consultant Question - The company has 5 part time employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Specification Developer or Consultant? Definitions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Who here is Using a Consultant for ISO 9001 Transition? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Sister Company Moving to AS - First time "consultant" - Help? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
S Can anyone share a Consultant Proposal for QMS Remediation? Consultants and Consulting 5
T IATF Certified Auditor/Consultant Wanted in the Evansville, Indiana Area Consultants and Consulting 0
M Can a Consultant be the main contact for a Medical Device Company? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
J Is getting a UDI Consultant a good idea? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
H How to find a good ISO 9001 Implementation Consultant in Calgary, Canada? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P How to deal with a Recruitment Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 3
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Design and Development Document evidence for Engineering Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P FDA QSR Inspection Consultant Recommendations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
L Mock Audit by External Consultant (ISO 13485) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S GDPMD MALAYSIA Consultant and what they teach Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 14
Jen Kirley This international consultant thing sure is a ride! Career and Occupation Discussions 13
R Ethical Aspects while being Consultant and Certifier within same Organization. Consultants and Consulting 6
M Can an Auditor introduce a Consultant to help fix NCs after the audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
G Has anyone used shlomo Aviv-lean consultant? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
E What are the major difficulties when working as a consultant in your industry? Consultants and Consulting 20
S Advice on becoming an ISO Management Systems Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
C Medical Device Regulatory Consultant in Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P Can an outside consultant audit all the AS9100 requirements including Internal Audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
R ISO 17025 Accreditation - Need for consultant? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
JoCam Reputable, UK based Consultant for the Health & Safety standard OHSAS 18001 Consultants and Consulting 14