AS9100:2009 Process Checklist (Contract Review) - Feedback wanted

K

knorly999

Attached is a process based checklist that my organization has developed for the contract review process. I'm looking for some constructive feedback from Quality Professionals on Elsmar Cove. My organization K&S Quality Associates has developed additional process checklist like this one for design, product realization, purchasing, etc. But they are all in draft format that we would like to make available for Free after we fine tone the checklist.. Please post your comments...

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Attached is a process based checklist that my organization has developed for the contract review process. I'm looking for some constructive feedback from Quality Professionals on Elsmar Cove. My organization K&S Quality Associates has developed additional process checklist like this one for design, product realization, purchasing, etc. But they are all in draft format that we would like to make available for Free after we fine tone the checklist.. Please post your comments...
Hi Knorly999, welcome to The Cove forums. :bigwave:

Since you're asking for feedback, and they're still in draft format, I'll be brutally honest:

I took a quick look at it. The general format is very similar to the AS9101 Rev C checklist (which I don't particularly like) which is used for AS9100 Rev B audits. This checklist has been deleted in AS9101 Rev D. I don't like this format for two main reasons: 1) The questions are all yes/no, and lead inexperienced auditors to ask closed ended questions. 2) The objective evidence is recorded on the bottom of the page, with no real correlation to each question. My preference is to have the space to record objective evidence in line with the requirement on the page. This ensures that each has been accounted for.

Pages 1-4 are "Generic Process Questions" and as such they look like they could be applied to many processes. In this case there are some questions that just plain don't apply to the contract review process that this checklist is supposed to be for (such as ESD, clean room, calibrated equipment, and equipment maintenance).

Pages 5-7 are labeled "Process Specific Questions" and contain sequential clause-based text reworded from AS9100. Not what I'd expect to see in a "process checklist."

Pages 8-10 are pages where a user can add specific questions from procedures or work instructions. If I was really doing a process audit, I would want to add these in between other questions in the checklist, not in a section of their own. The PDF does have fillable fields here, but there's a limit of six questions total available in the PDF file - probably not enough.

Page 11 is a modified version of the AS9101 Rev D Process Effectiveness Assessment Report (PEAR) which includes less detail, but adds a place to include "Minor Findings" and "OFI's". Apparently no Major nonconformities can be found in this audit?

Page 12 is a turtle diagram. In my world, the turtle would be the first page to be used in audit planning, not the last page where it seems like an afterthought.

I've certainly seen worse checklists, but I believe I've also seen much better. For a real process audit checklist, I'd expect the whole thing to flow along with the sequence of the process itself. This one has several disjointed sections that the auditor would have to flip back and forth between to complete an audit. The fact that it's in PDF makes it very difficult to customize for a process that doesn't match a cookie-cutter generic process.

I hope I haven't been too brutal, and I hope you'll take the feedback above as constructive criticism. I look forward to seeing the finished results.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree with "howste"- it is long and as an auditor I would fill like I am only checking the yes and no column to get with the program. Try to think of it as a process with opportunities to improve the flow and most important to add value to the system. People would be more receptive to providing feedback. (try open ended questions).

K

kiwisfly

Hi Knorly99,
Have you done the AATT, if so, you will see that AS Auditors are required to use the Process Approach in their auditing? AS9101D is comprehensive in what is required. I think your checklist is way too long, particularly if you are using these for internal audits. The Turtle should/could be used for your questions as well as recording your evidence, I would focus more on the process itself including process performance and effectiveness.

I think the wide range of questions you have, and their generic nature, doesn't actually force the auditor to focus on what will make this process effective and/or whether all aspects of the 'contract review' process are being tested. Also, how have you defined Contract Review, does it include all aspects of planning for product realization (7.1) through the customer communication (7.2.3)? If so, where is the assessment of RM, CM, PM or work transfer in taking on a new or amended work contract??

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Gap Analysis Matrix for AS9100 Rev C to TS16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P AS9100:2009 compared to ISO 13485 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
U Update on AS9100 Revision C (also referred to as AS9100:2009 and AS9100 Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Risk Management Compliance - Implementing AS9100:2009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 50
K Are ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100:2009 going to be the official dates used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q AS9100:D Counterfeit internal audit questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q AS9100 Counterfeit Parts Prevention/Mitigation Work Instruction? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B SPOC 001/SPOC 002 AS9100 FAIR REQUIREMENTS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Do all products fall under scope of AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
9 AS9100 Friendly ERP Recommendations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9120 to AS9100 due to value added activities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Can I exempt products/services from my AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P AS9100 and CAMO - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D AS9100 Rev D - Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9100 VS IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W AS9100 Shelf Life Extension or Exemption AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Merging two AS9100 Companies: how to manage interim period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Crusader AS9100 7.5.2 NOTE Approval methods identified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas? General Auditing Discussions 45
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3