As9100 4.10 - Identification of production inspection instruments

I

inspector1

I am having trouble interpretating AS9100 element 4.10.1 "identification of production inspection instruments." I
am not quite clear on the intent of this statement.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I believe that it is requiring you to list or describe (description or actual ID number?) the gage to be used for the inspection operation within the specific inspection work instruction. I have always prefered to have the actual ID number listed so there is never a question. However, my hunch is that only a good clear description is required. Any other opinions?

E

energy

Two cents worth

What I would add to Badgerman's message, because I think he has already said it in his own words, you have to list critical dimensions that are flight safety, customer or your company driven. Any 1st piece or in-process Inspection requirements that would include any special gaging used to verify the same. There may have been previous non-conformances. The inspection checklist would list those things as part of the final inspection record for that particular part. The next time you make that part, the production/inspection frequencies/instruments are already defined. That should satisfy production inspection instruments requirements.

energy

I

inspector1

Is it necessary to have inspection sheets identifying inspection equipment for each product? We have over 5000 different part numbers and manufacture to customer prints as well. Would a procedure describing types of gaging for similarity of parts be in
compliance?

E

energy

Yes, if applicable

Inspector 1,

Although I’m not the expert, I worked ( 18 months) at a sheet metal shop where they produced brackets for aircraft. The major Customers are Pratt & Whitney, US and Canada, Hamilton Sundstrand and several other Airline industry suppliers. They had source inspectors from these companies sampling product prior to shipping. The two main “documents” they concerned themselves with were the Operations Traveler and the Inspection records. The Operations traveler specified at each step of the operation, the process, the dimension sought, any special gaging, (no, they didn’t say to use a calibrated micrometer-they are trained operators), the inspection frequency (after 1st piece Inspection), and a place to put your little initials. The Inspection record listed the characteristics to inspect, any special gages to use, pass or fail boxes and the place for the Inspector to sign off. Yes, they made thousands of different parts and they have operation sheets for every part they ever made and an Inspection record for each. Once they are put into the database, whatever you use, it’s done. When you get the job, just print them and go. Of course, the closer to the engine you get, the more Customer involvement in determining critical characteristics. Many times they supply the tooling and gages for you to use. Your original post was referring to calling out instrumentation to inspect with. These operations would specify, Optical Comparator, Super Mike, CMM, etc. They did not address how to verify measurements for every dimension. This was considered a training issue. Special gaging is the what you worry about and specifying other instruments capable of meeting the tolerances that can not be measured by conventional equipment. I will add, there was no such thing as too much paperwork with these Customer QAR’s. If you are doing the same type of work, AS 9000 is the Standard, you probably already have many of the things I mentioned. Just look at each job as they come in, add your special gaging instructions and build your database. I wouldn’t worry about the 5000 parts you already shipped successfully, start now. You can do it. Sure you can.

energy

H

Hoeyster

Hoeyster QM

OK let me get this straight, the inspection checklist only needs to contain the measurement device for special gaging required per AS9100? I am a new Quality Manager and I am headed down the path of identifying gaging in my facility by serializing them. I will then put that gaging on my IMS (inspection method sheet) being identified by the serial number. But, I was going to do it for every characteristic, critical or not. Am I going way over and above what I really need to do? Am I creating more work for myself than I need to? :thanx:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hoeyster said:
OK let me get this straight, the inspection checklist only needs to contain the measurement device for special gaging required per AS9100? I am a new Quality Manager and I am headed down the path of identifying gaging in my facility by serializing them. I will then put that gaging on my IMS (inspection method sheet) being identified by the serial number. But, I was going to do it for every characteristic, critical or not. Am I going way over and above what I really need to do? Am I creating more work for myself than I need to? :thanx:
It sounds like you are overworking it to me.

To satisfy the standard, I would list the gage serial numbers for critical characteristics as required only and, I hope I understand you right, at the point of inspection. I would not define these gages in a work order, procedure etc. by serial number unless there is never going to be a substitution without revising the document and/or you are being extremely careful to ensure only that exact gage will be used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Document Numbers (Identification) on Forms (AS9100) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
Buckyb AS9100 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability - Difference between actual and agreed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Identification and Traceablity - Audit Query - AS9100 REV B - Clause 7.5.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E Recommendations for CBs south of England AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2