As9100 4.10 - Identification of production inspection instruments

I

inspector1

I am having trouble interpretating AS9100 element 4.10.1 "identification of production inspection instruments." I
am not quite clear on the intent of this statement.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

BadgerMan

I believe that it is requiring you to list or describe (description or actual ID number?) the gage to be used for the inspection operation within the specific inspection work instruction. I have always prefered to have the actual ID number listed so there is never a question. However, my hunch is that only a good clear description is required. Any other opinions?

E

energy

Two cents worth

What I would add to Badgerman's message, because I think he has already said it in his own words, you have to list critical dimensions that are flight safety, customer or your company driven. Any 1st piece or in-process Inspection requirements that would include any special gaging used to verify the same. There may have been previous non-conformances. The inspection checklist would list those things as part of the final inspection record for that particular part. The next time you make that part, the production/inspection frequencies/instruments are already defined. That should satisfy production inspection instruments requirements.

energy

I

inspector1

Is it necessary to have inspection sheets identifying inspection equipment for each product? We have over 5000 different part numbers and manufacture to customer prints as well. Would a procedure describing types of gaging for similarity of parts be in
compliance?

E

energy

Yes, if applicable

Inspector 1,

Although I’m not the expert, I worked ( 18 months) at a sheet metal shop where they produced brackets for aircraft. The major Customers are Pratt & Whitney, US and Canada, Hamilton Sundstrand and several other Airline industry suppliers. They had source inspectors from these companies sampling product prior to shipping. The two main “documents” they concerned themselves with were the Operations Traveler and the Inspection records. The Operations traveler specified at each step of the operation, the process, the dimension sought, any special gaging, (no, they didn’t say to use a calibrated micrometer-they are trained operators), the inspection frequency (after 1st piece Inspection), and a place to put your little initials. The Inspection record listed the characteristics to inspect, any special gages to use, pass or fail boxes and the place for the Inspector to sign off. Yes, they made thousands of different parts and they have operation sheets for every part they ever made and an Inspection record for each. Once they are put into the database, whatever you use, it’s done. When you get the job, just print them and go. Of course, the closer to the engine you get, the more Customer involvement in determining critical characteristics. Many times they supply the tooling and gages for you to use. Your original post was referring to calling out instrumentation to inspect with. These operations would specify, Optical Comparator, Super Mike, CMM, etc. They did not address how to verify measurements for every dimension. This was considered a training issue. Special gaging is the what you worry about and specifying other instruments capable of meeting the tolerances that can not be measured by conventional equipment. I will add, there was no such thing as too much paperwork with these Customer QAR’s. If you are doing the same type of work, AS 9000 is the Standard, you probably already have many of the things I mentioned. Just look at each job as they come in, add your special gaging instructions and build your database. I wouldn’t worry about the 5000 parts you already shipped successfully, start now. You can do it. Sure you can.

energy

H

Hoeyster

Hoeyster QM

OK let me get this straight, the inspection checklist only needs to contain the measurement device for special gaging required per AS9100? I am a new Quality Manager and I am headed down the path of identifying gaging in my facility by serializing them. I will then put that gaging on my IMS (inspection method sheet) being identified by the serial number. But, I was going to do it for every characteristic, critical or not. Am I going way over and above what I really need to do? Am I creating more work for myself than I need to? :thanx:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hoeyster said:
OK let me get this straight, the inspection checklist only needs to contain the measurement device for special gaging required per AS9100? I am a new Quality Manager and I am headed down the path of identifying gaging in my facility by serializing them. I will then put that gaging on my IMS (inspection method sheet) being identified by the serial number. But, I was going to do it for every characteristic, critical or not. Am I going way over and above what I really need to do? Am I creating more work for myself than I need to? :thanx:
It sounds like you are overworking it to me.

To satisfy the standard, I would list the gage serial numbers for critical characteristics as required only and, I hope I understand you right, at the point of inspection. I would not define these gages in a work order, procedure etc. by serial number unless there is never going to be a substitution without revising the document and/or you are being extremely careful to ensure only that exact gage will be used.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Document Numbers (Identification) on Forms (AS9100) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
Buckyb AS9100 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability - Difference between actual and agreed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Identification and Traceablity - Audit Query - AS9100 REV B - Clause 7.5.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B AS9100 applicability to aircraft operation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Supplier AS9100 certificate suspended - still ship goods ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Pros and cons to transition to AS9100 for non aerospace company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
B AS9100 Certification Audit Accounting for Additional Customer QMS Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
Q AS9100 Facility Relocation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Do we need to raise concessions for every noted deviation under AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Minimum Retention Time for Records of internal audit results as per AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
PowerJunkie Cancelling AS9100 Certification - How and Who to notify? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Exclusions allowed in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Minimum/ mandatory core processes AS9100 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
M Lack of qualified AS9100 Auditors AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
F AS9100 and FAIR - When to do them AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P AS9100 and Raw Material Traceability AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B AS9100:D - Purchase Order required if ordering paint on supplier portal? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Calibration Records during AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M AS9100 examples of procedures, quality manual, etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
H Does this clause mean i must be in compliance with AS9100 or is 9001 enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O AS9100 8.4.3 Supplier Terms and Conditions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S AS9100 Supplier Audit Checklist example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 Design Authority questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q AS9100:D Counterfeit internal audit questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q AS9100 Counterfeit Parts Prevention/Mitigation Work Instruction? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B SPOC 001/SPOC 002 AS9100 FAIR REQUIREMENTS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Do all products fall under scope of AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
9 AS9100 Friendly ERP Recommendations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9120 to AS9100 due to value added activities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Can I exempt products/services from my AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P AS9100 and CAMO - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D AS9100 Rev D - Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9100 VS IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W AS9100 Shelf Life Extension or Exemption AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Merging two AS9100 Companies: how to manage interim period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12