AS9100 7.2.2 Review of Requirements - Order & Product Review Records

M

macshopkid

Hey all,

The small machine shop I work for doesn’t have any certification currently and we are working toward AS9100C. Obviously we review product requirements, ability to meet requirements, and time table before agreeing to an order but I’m not sure the best way to document this. The owner/boss handles all the quotes, purchasing, etc. as well as a bunch of other work and we really don’t want to slow ourselves down by adding a lot of extra records (and I know the purpose of AS9100 is to make you more efficient and have better quality). Right now most of our orders are either sent through email or a phone call. We keep a spreadsheet of all the orders, the requirements and the delivery dates. If we keep on record the spreadsheet, the purchase order, and possibly the emails, is this sufficient documentation to show compliance to the standard?

Thanks

S

SunnyJim

Re: 7.2.2 Review of Requirements

I'm in the same situation as you. Small Machine shop, lots of different jobs coming in and out. We are not yet registered to AS9100 but are working towards it currently. We use a one page checklist that the boss writes down all the requirements we need to be aware of that are not already found on the blueprint. I don't really like it because the form is never referred to so it's not very useful but it's the best I could come up with for meeting the requirements.
I'm very interested in what everyone has to say about this

M

macshopkid

I had a similar idea at first, to use a checklist. But I had a feeling it would end up like your situation sounds, having extra documentation that is never referenced so it is extra work with no reward.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

AS9100 is a QMS model for the Aviation, Space & Defense supply chain. Most of the products involved in this supply chain have a HIGH DEGREE OF CRITICALITY. While nobody should create unnecessary, non-value-added bureaucracy, when you work in a sector where risks are high, and product failure can lead to catastrophic consequences, you should have a robust QMS in place, including adequate records to demonstrate robust processes of order review.

I've dealt with many machine shops as an auditor and, one of the typical failure modes for them was exactly the issue surrounding the capture, communication and flowdown of customer requirements. Too informal processes were in place, in many cases.

It is time for people to realize that, if they want to play in high-risk supply chains, they better have robust systems. People have to realize that, if you want to play high stake games, there is a price to be paid.

Last edited:
M

macshopkid

Okay Sidney, I agree with you that our system is much too informal. Everyone at our shop realizes that. It's not a big secret. My question is are there any ideas or comments on our current process (where it does and doesn't meet requirements). What could help make our system more robust? I know we will have to change and I welcome that. But I also do not want to put in place systems that will not be effective or beneficial in any way. I want to tailor our QMS to meet requirements and work for us and our customers. Isn't that the point? I don't mind criticism but telling me something I already know and not helping with forward progress doesnt do me much good.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Let me suggest you go to the Cove attachment list and do a search using key words "contract review". You will get a number of "contract review" procedures you could use as a starting point.

Sorry if I was a little harsh in my previous comment, but, in honesty, it is a little upsetting when I see some "commercial-grade machine shops" aspiring to do business in the aerospace sector, not willing to change their ways and systems.

Good luck and keep posting your questions. I am sure people will help you along the way.

M

macshopkid

I looked through the attachment list under ‘contract review’ yesterday and I did find a couple things that are of some help. I also have read through the requirements in section 7.2.2 and we currently do most of the things required. I guess my question is is there a difference between using a requirement checklist and the spreadsheet we already use? We know all the product requirements and review them with the customer but would that spreadsheet be an adequate record or would a filled out checklist be more appropriate. I saw in the file attachments a checklist is used commonly but are there other ways that also work? From an auditing standpoint, what is usually deemed acceptable/not acceptable?

And we are in many ways a commercial grade machine shop. But we are not aspiring to do aerospace business. Currently about 70% of our business is aerospace. But we do all prototype work for plastic aesthetic parts. Now our customers are being told by the higher up aerospace companies they supply that we have to be certified or dropped even though we only make single run prototypes. It is a little bit frustrating but we accept that as part of the business and are willing to move forward. I personally have worked here for less than a year and am pleased that we will have to change some of our ways because we have some ineffective policies. That being said, I still do not want to put in place obstacles that are not necessary.

Top Bottom