AS9100 7.6 - Check Method - PO Information

M

Mick1970

In 7.6 (Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment) that the register needs to have “Check Methods”. I think most people are in agreement that Check Method refers to the actual calibration procedure for the piece of equipment being calibrated. What about equipment that is sent to an accredited calibration house? What is the check method in this scenario? I have a simple procedure that identifies that the outsourced equipment is calibrated by a vendor. In this scenario the calibration is controlled by the calibration supplier and the check method becomes the suppliers calibration procedure and the class, grade being calibrated to? We do state the tolerance, class, grade within the data of the record of our database and include that on the P.O. when we send our equipment out for calibration.

I would like to see what others think? I just had an auditor tell me that was not adequate.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: AS9100 7.6 Check Method

Auditors want to see the history and objective evidence of the results of the calibration. If it is done in-house, we need to see that the masters meets established requirement either by standards or unique requirements. This includes gauges provided by customers.

So you and the majority of individuals are on the right track.

As far as an auditor telling you that it is not adequate... ask the auditor for a reference of what they are talking about. Maybe that will teach them to stay true to the requirements and not their agenda.:popcorn::popcorn:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: AS9100 7.6 Check Method

I just had an auditor tell me that was not adequate.
Is this just an opinion? An audit observation? A nonconformity statement?

As long as it is a not a nonconformity statement issued by the auditor, thank him/her for the comment and disregard it.

From what you describe, you are outsourcing some of the calibration to an outside lab, and you are adequately documenting the requirements associated with the results of the outsourced calibration process. I am sure in your contract with the lab, you have other relevant requirements, such as the need for them to inform you of the as-received condition and special flag if the item was found to be out of tolerance, when received by the lab.

If you were to agree with the auditor that you need to have the calibration procedure identified for the itens calibrated by the lab, then, by similarity, you would have to have, control and approve any other procedure of outsourced suppliers, including, as an example, your freight forwarding providers.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
In 7.6 (Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment) “Check Methods”. I think most people are in agreement that Check Method refers to the actual calibration procedure for the piece of equipment being calibrated.
Nope I would not agree with your definition.

AS9100, ISO 9000, Z540 or ISO 10012 does not contain a definition of “check method” so in reality it is what you define it as. Check method logically could be Internal or external calibration of the equipment/device also.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Check method logically could be Internal or external calibration of the equipment/device also.
Logically? Not really, in my opinion.

Most knowledgeable people will agree that "check method" is the process/procedure used to verify if the device is providing accurate and reliable readings, including adjustments needed, if necessary.

Just because a term is not defined elsewhere, it does not give an organization the right to willy nilly play with words and confuse the intent of the requirement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E AS9100 Section 7.6 - What is the meaning of "check method"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Check your AS9100 Certificate Date and Revision Level AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Oldrice AS9100 for 'Non Production Part' Company - We make check fixtures AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E Recommendations for CBs south of England AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11