AS9100 8.3 Procedure for Non-Conforming Parts - When should an NCR be filled out?

C

cceac

We are a small contract manufacturer of aerospace parts, manufacturing to the AS9100 standard. I would like to get some comments on the interpretation of the AS9100 8.3 procedure for non-conforming parts based on a recent “discussion” we had with a quality rep from one of the major primes about NCR recording in our NCR database. He argued that the expectation of the standard is that any time we record a number in the reject column on the work order (traveler) there should be an offsetting NCR record in our NCR database. Our need is to not over-burden the quality department with excessive recording of “obvious” scrap caused by standard machine variation. Our current procedure allows for us to scrap parts and disposition them from the work order for nonconformities that have a defect code designated as obvious scrap due to standard machine variation. NCR records are created for every other defect code that allows us to track trends and effectiveness of our process. Obvious scrap is still tracked on the work traveler but not recorded in our database since we allow for this when setting up lot quantities and it is considered a needed cost of doing business.

I am curious as to your opinion if a formal NCR record needs to be created for EVERY type of defect code. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to The Cove. Despite the fact that you tried to elaborate on the situation, is not easy to provide advice with the amount of information you offered.

Instead of focusing on a straight interpretation of the standard, I would try to think along the lines of what makes sense from a business perspective.

Since one of the principles behind AS9100 is the ISO 9000-driven factual approach to decision making, without capturing the data about scrap parts due to (what you referred to as) standard machine variation, can you tell if that defect code represents 1, 5 or 20% of your scrap parts? Maybe intuitively, you might know that it is a very small percentage, but that was not clear from your post. From a business perspective, if I am "losing" US$50k in scrap parts per year because my production equipment is too old and it's standard variation is too wide, that could help me in justifying a capital investment of a new, replacement production equipment that would bring the scrap rate to US$5k/year.

Another thing to remember is that we track defect codes in order to analyze the data and make a determination when we should proceed with a corrective action, after a certain threshold might be reached. As most of us know, you will not trigger a corrective action for each and every nonconforming product you have, but without tracking it, how can we know?

IF (big IF) a potential corrective action for this type of problem is the capital investment I mentioned above with a new, modern, much more capable machine, I would want the numbers available so I could justify (or not) the expenditure.

C

cceac

Thanks Sidney.....I should point out that we are not talking about a huge percentage of scrap....maybe 1-2%. We consider this scrap as a part of doing business and its defect code represents the kind of scrap that is beyond what can be predicted and controlled. From a business case we are still able to track it via our scrap reporting and able to make decisions based on this value. What I am trying argue is that an NCR record does not have to be created for every nonconformity as long as your procedure is effective and maintained. Am I correct?

Thanks Sidney.....I should point out that we are not talking about a huge percentage of scrap....maybe 1-2%. We consider this scrap as a part of doing business and its defect code represents the kind of scrap that is beyond what can be predicted and controlled. From a business case we are still able to track it via our scrap reporting and able to make decisions based on this value. What I am trying argue is that an NCR record does not have to be created for every nonconformity as long as your procedure is effective and maintained. Am I correct?
You are correct. However, remember that even if your customer is not always right, he, hopefully, will always be your customer.

This may not be a battle you really want to win if it ends up costing you business.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
This is not uncommon in the aerospace industry. My perspective in the matter is that you need to define when a NCR needs to be written. Furthermore if you have alternate methods to handle nonconforming product, these methods need to be acknowledged as part of your system. In your case it sounds that you do have a method to track scrap. The only question will be if you are able to show how scrap is tracked and if you are able to discern planned scrap vs. unplanned scrap. (Normally companies do this through yield analysis)

S

sflores2365

So when should an NCR be written. My current employer also writes an NCR for every defect found. I mean every. :mg:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Q AS9100 Rev.D Transfer of Work - Procedure and form templates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Design and Development Procedure example and Template wanted - AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
A AS9100 and Record Correction Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Procedure for Handling of Customer Supplied Material (AS9100 Requirements) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R How to draft a good First Article Inspection Procedure (when AS9100 is overkill) APQP and PPAP 6
S Is it required to upgrade an AS9100 B Procedure Manual to AS9100 Rev. C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
R AS9100C Special Process Procedure - Work Instruction for AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D AS9100 Configuration Management Procedure example wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
E What is a Proprietary Procedure and how does it apply to AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Preparing small company for AS9100 registration - Am I missing any procedure(s)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Seeking AS9100 B 7.3 Design and Development Procedure Examples Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Crusader AS9100 7.5.2 NOTE Approval methods identified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas? General Auditing Discussions 45
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10