AS9100 - Accountability for Job Travelers

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I have a question that will add-on to this question. We build parts and place them in a 'stock' location, our customers sends a signal to ship 'X' number of parts, we have 1-5 days to ship from this point depending on the customer. We stock raw material, that makes the parts, by the foot and usually run 12 foot bars.

However, this creates a different situation/concern. The 12 foot bars are random length (up to +/- 8 inches for the most part). So if we are running a 12 foot bar that is 8 inches long or short, and the part we are producing uses exactly 1 inch of material, we will have 8 piece short or over. We will not really know until we run the bar.

Manufactured parts are designated to 'stock' so we do not worry about making +/- percent.

How would you account for the extra/short parts produced since we will not 'know' the exact number until the bar is run and each 12 foot bar may produce a different number of parts?

P.S. We are a machine shop that makes piece parts to customer supplied drawings.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
H

HoppyRoo

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the input! Lots of great information.

After some discussion with the auditor, he's opted to downgrade the finding. :D

We are going to have to make a couple of adjustments, but it's all good.

-----------

Michael... we actually talked about similar situations. There are a few different ways to handle it. One option that might apply to your instance is simply to start the job with a guesstimate. After your initial run, just go back and adjust the job quantity with an "actual" once it's applicable. He said this would be perfectly acceptable.

I'll look at options that will best suit us and still be compliant to the standard, but again, I don't think it's anywhere near as drastic as he was making it out to.

:agree1:

suffelde

Involved In Discussions
I hope I am understanding this right.
QMS Process ↔ Customer Order →Traveler Generated which requires a pull from raw material stock→machining/inspection process→put finished product into stock→pull for shipment.

If this flow is correct then one has to understand that you have raw material variation as an input to the process. One does not improve the process without removing the variation input. Thus, it becomes a CoPQ issue. Your QMS should address how to handle CoPQ issues including things such as acceptable $ thresholds, risks associated with, preventive actions, and continuous improvement. The left over material can have a blanket MRB disposition based on the above.

With respect to the traveler and traceability, a suggestion is to have the machinist log on the router the traceability of the raw material used along with the yield (count) for processes beyond. The left over remnants become an MRB/Inventory issue. Thus, you will be compliant with requirements.

In short, document your process - making sure you protect the internal and external customers; then do what you say you are doing.

Let me know if I didn't understand your process correctly.

Dave

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Haha...

I didn't say it was perfect. I agree, it's on the flaky side. ;)

That said, does this really warrant major nonconformance status?

Btw... thanks for your help guys. Your input makes this a lot more clear to me.
The auditor is actually correct!

But you are missing an excellent opportunity for improvement because of your energy being spent on proving the auditor wrong.

A lot of the small shops use the one piece setup piece through out the process and identified such piece in red color. This prevents the one red piece going to the customer and minimizes the scrap pieces. Furthermore, clear instructions at the beginning process to indicate that 3 pieces will be scraped due to set up pieces will also be part of the accountability process and minimize your documentation.

M

M.H.Ingle

I have a question that will add-on to this question. We build parts and place them in a 'stock' location, our customers sends a signal to ship 'X' number of parts, we have 1-5 days to ship from this point depending on the customer. We stock raw material, that makes the parts, by the foot and usually run 12 foot bars.

However, this creates a different situation/concern. The 12 foot bars are random length (up to +/- 8 inches for the most part). So if we are running a 12 foot bar that is 8 inches long or short, and the part we are producing uses exactly 1 inch of material, we will have 8 piece short or over. We will not really know until we run the bar.

Manufactured parts are designated to 'stock' so we do not worry about making +/- percent.

How would you account for the extra/short parts produced since we will not 'know' the exact number until the bar is run and each 12 foot bar may produce a different number of parts?

P.S. We are a machine shop that makes piece parts to customer supplied drawings.
+/- 8" on a 12' bar is +/- 5% material.
I would not be worrying about what is going through the machine shop at this point, I would be worrying about consistency and conformity of material supply.
Material variations of this magnitude would be rejected at Goods Inwards for us. We run 3m or 1.5m bar lengths for most of our work and the variation we have in bar length is on the order of millimetres, or less than 1/2 a percent.

I hate to bump a 5 year old thread, but this was the best thread in a quick search to go along with our possible finding.

We are a manufacturer that uses approximately 30 piece parts (many very small) in order to build an assembly. We attempt to run single piece flow so tracking quantity good/bad by process is not feasible as in some cases you only scrap some parts (when in a sub-assembly level) or because it would take longer to count than it would to actually complete the process.

We build in quantities close to 2500 and end up with ~2490 with a handful of piece parts due to weighing variation. There is little/no risk in tracking every single part/process. Why is it not feasible to wait until after final test and count the good/bad/scrap parts and assume the rest is piece part shortage if it is within X% of the normal MO size?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
E Recommendations for CBs south of England AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 24
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
F AS9100 D - Verification of purchased product - Sheet metal and aluminum extrusion stock AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Definition of "Sensitive Products" Clause 8.5.4 (c) in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
T AS9100 Maintain Approval When Business Ownership Changes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
R Configuration Management in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
howste Merging sites on one AS9100 certificate - expiration date? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
N AS9100 8.5.1 j) - Lot splitting - any loopholes? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 17
pcoltsqe Dual AS9100 and AS9110 certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S IAQG guidelines for AS9100 report writing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
E Small one man shop with QMS (shoptech e2) | AS9100 cert help AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 46
M AS9100 Rev D and Pin Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7