AS9100 and Raw Material Traceability

Pwabbit

Registered
One of our customers is stating that traceability and flow down of requirements is not required when purchasing raw material. The flow down that is not being required (by our customer) is record retention, customer approved special processors, control of suppliers. Our customer wants to issue an Authorization To Proceed (ATP) for us to buy material without requirements of any kind. The contract with requirements will be issued at a later date. Does AS9100 provide for this loose directive to purchase without any controls?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Welcome to the cove!

You do have requirements to flow down from the customer drawings and specifications called out. We require material certifications traceable to the mill lot/heat that show actual test results. Sometimes we require material that is ITAR compliant for specialty metals.

Record retention is the shipping documents and material certs; special process requirements don't apply unless your material provider is heat treating or something.

Pwabbit

Registered
It is a military program through Boeing. The Boeing's major subtier basically says to buy the material but not to exceed a certain dollar amount. They do not specify any supplier controls, requirements for material certs or traceability. The aluminum is heat treated/aged by the mill, so I guess that wouldn't require special processor control. I am uncomfortable signing off on purchasing raw material without controls that I normally see in a military aircraft program. But I don't want to be uncooperative with my customer if I am in the wrong.

bbuss

Registered
Pwabbit, Is the assumption that you are part of an AS9100 certified organization? Is your direct customer also AS9100 certified?
For your customer, they are required by ISO9001 to define requirements to their supplier (you). Then AS9100 adds the phrase "including the identification of relevant technical data (e.g., specifications, drawings, process requirements, work instructions);"

8.4.3 Information for External Providers
The organization shall ensure the adequacy of requirements prior to their communication to the external provider.
The organization shall communicate to external providers its requirements for:
a. the processes, products, and services to be provided
including the identification of relevant technical data (e.g., specifications, drawings, process requirements, work instructions);

In your original post, there is a contradiction. First you say they are not flowing down:
- record retention
- customer approved special processes
- control of suppliers
And then you say they want you to accept an authorization to proceed "for us to buy material without requirements of any kind".

Yes, they can issue you an order or ATP and waive record retention, customer approved special processes and control of suppliers. Since you are AS9100, then you default record retention period would apply. You can select a special processor of your choice. You can apply controls to your suppliers per your process.

However, they cannot issue you an ATP and expect you to sign it "without requirements of any kind". They would be in violation of 8.4.3

Top Bottom