AS9100 and related AS9102 Supplier First Article Requirements

T

turnit

We currently utilize multiple plating sources for outside processing of the same particular part number.. If we do a AS9102 First Article for Supplier A than do one for Supplier B are we required to perform again if we return to supplier A?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: AS9100 and related AS9102 first article req.

We currently utilize multiple plating sources for outside processing of the same particular part number.. If we do a AS9102 First Article for Supplier A than do one for Supplier B are we required to perform again if we return to supplier A?

If you meet the requirements of AS9102 - Paragraph 5.3 (then you don't).

"The Organization shall perform a full FAI, or a partial FAI for affected characteristics, when any of the following events occurs

1. A change in the design affecting fit, form or function of the part.

2. A change in manufacturing source(s), process(es), inspection method(s), location of manufacture, tooling or materials, that can potentially affect fit, form or function.

3. A change in numerical control program or translation to another media that can potentially affect fit, form or function.

4. A natural or man-made event, which may adversely affect the manufacturing process.

5. A lapse in production for two years or as specified by the Customer.

T

turnit

I am aware of the 5.3.2 statement. My intent was to solict opinions on whether the scenario I outlined would satisfy the intent of the statement or not
Thanks to any who respond!

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am aware of the 5.3.2 statement. My intent was to solict opinions on whether the scenario I outlined would satisfy the intent of the statement or not
Thanks to any who respond!

1.2 Purpose

The purpose of the First Article Inspection is to give objective evidence that all engineering, design and specification requirements are correctly understood, accounted for, verified, and recorded. The purpose of this standard is to provide a consistent documentation requirement for aerospace components FAI.

Remember that FAIR are used to verify that your process meets customer requirements.You do not have control over the plating processes so if your process meets the requirements of 5.3.2 - then your are good to go.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: AS9100 and related AS9102 first article req.

..."The Organization shall perform a full FAI, or a partial FAI for affected characteristics, when any of the following events occurs

2. A change in manufacturing source(s), process(es), inspection method(s), location of manufacture, tooling or materials, that can potentially affect fit, form or function.

Changing plating sources is a change in a manufacturing source. Any customer I've done FAIs for would have me submit a delta FAI for changing a plating source. I've never gone back and forth - perhaps if Supplier A hasn't had a lapse of 2 years since they plated them for you, you may not have to resubmit - but the point of the FAI is to represent the current process, including suppliers.

Last edited:
S

surfguy72

Just wanted to say thanks for this dicussion. It helped me out some, as myself a non-engineer seems to want AS9102's alot more often than the engineers I work with do.

I've been met with the opposition that anything that can be inspected from a print, doesn't require an AS9102 (talking about changes, not the first time using a supplier.) So in the above case, their thinking would be no, that you can inspect if plating has been done correctly (to some extent) and therefore wouldn't require an AS9102. If it were me, I would. But thats why I posted here, is because I don't know if I'm correct.

Anyways, thanks to the poster!:D

Top Bottom