AS9100 Approved Supplier List (ASL) Requirements

S

sideoiler

We recently finished our AS9100 re-cert audit and got sited for ordering from a supplier that was not on our ASL. My question is, what is the requirement for approving suppliers who's product / service has nothing to do with the finished part. The one that we got nailed for was MSC, which I was under the assumption that approval was not need based on the nature of services provided. I can understand companies like McMaster Carr and Grainger, because they also supply material and fasteners on top of shop supplies.
Any insight on this matter is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Chris :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

sideoiler

The need is not simply how it effects product, but how it effects your quality management system.
So playing devils advocate, are you implying that a supplier and mundane and insignificant such as Costco or Sams Club who provide us with the most basic shop supplies, need to be approved?
My interpretation was basically a .750 end-mill is a .750 end-mill, and if its in the correct packaging / material / length per your purchase order, what is there to validate?
I guess Im not understanding how quality comes into play for suppliers of this nature?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Actually I think you need to be careful with distributors. They sell the "name brands." And that, the brand, is what you want to qualify if necessary, IMO. If you use a Komet (or other brand) tool bit, who cares if you buy from Granger, Costco, or Bob down the street.

In your case, depending on your machining process and products it is a long stretch to worry about generic end mills from a supply house. Good luck.

P

PaulJSmith

My interpretation was basically a .750 end-mill is a .750 end-mill, and if its in the correct packaging / material / length per your purchase order, what is there to validate?
I guess Im not understanding how quality comes into play for suppliers of this nature?
So, you're suggesting that an end-mill of inferior quality would not affect the quality of your product?
Do these tools from this supplier have the same lifespan as tools from an "approved" supplier?
Same number of cutting cycles before sharpening?
Are they made of the same materials?
Do they break more frequently, potentially causing non-conformances?
Is their service and delivery of the same quality as those of your "approved" suppliers?
Are you ever stuck waiting for deliveries, with the resultant down-time affecting your promised delivery dates?

If none of these things are an issue with them, then why are they not an approved supplier?

You should be validating more than just the product you purchase from your suppliers. Many things can impact the quality of your finished product, both directly and indirectly.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
So playing devils advocate, are you implying that a supplier and mundane and insignificant such as Costco or Sams Club who provide us with the most basic shop supplies, need to be approved?
I would suggest that you re-read the requirement from the standard.

"The type and extent of the control applied to the supplier and the purchased product shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product shall be dependent upon the effect of the purchased product on subsequent product realization or the final product."

This shows that you need not have a "one size fits all" method of determining how to approve a supplier. You determine the level of control (but not no control).

"The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization's requirements."

This points out that suppliers need to be approved. You don't get a "bye" because you think that some things don't need any control.

You should look at whatever criteria you are currently using to approve suppliers and determine if you have some flexibility to have lower criteria for some suppliers and higher criteria for others depending on how they or what you are buying impact final production.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
We recently finished our AS9100 re-cert audit and got sited for ordering from a supplier that was not on our ASL. My question is, what is the requirement for approving suppliers who's product / service has nothing to do with the finished part. The one that we got nailed for was MSC, which I was under the assumption that approval was not need based on the nature of services provided. I can understand companies like McMaster Carr and Grainger, because they also supply material and fasteners on top of shop supplies.

Regards,

Can you write down the exact wording of the auditor's NCR?

J

JohnI

Regards,

We also have the same issue, but we are on the opposite side being a supplier. We supply equipment that is ISO 9001 and ISO 17025, but we are not. We provide appearance measurement devices used in quality. We are engineers and also have Masters degrees, thus we understand quality better than most, yet companies say they cannot purchase a product that is ISO 17025 made in Western Europe from us. Thus I share your frustration with the pyramid scheme that is being created and being followed blindly, yet I have no strong solution as companies are scared to ask the same question you ask. We see no logical or quality related reason to all this except to force companies that are ISO to purchase from others that are ISO to extend the reach of the organization. To say that we should also be ISO 17025 for a very small company such as ours would be financially detrimental with no added benefit internally.
I say if you find the same product, from the same manufacturer, same model, same box at Costco, buy it. I also believe that Costco's Quality Management is most probably superior to most other companies, thus that has no bearing on this subject.

I look forward to your responses.

Regards to All.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 37
M Mil-Spec Hardware (MS, AN, NAS) Suppliers on AS9100 Approved Suppliers List AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
9 Just AS9100 Approved - High Speed Spin Testing company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
classical_quality AS9100 Surveillance Audit - advice on drafting strong responses AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T AS9100 - Changing PEARs target AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 41
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
E Recommendations for CBs south of England AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 24
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
F AS9100 D - Verification of purchased product - Sheet metal and aluminum extrusion stock AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Definition of "Sensitive Products" Clause 8.5.4 (c) in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4