AS9100 Auditor Career Path Options

S

SEAKate

Hi all - new(ish) to the Cove, so my apologies if I break any etiquette.

To the point - I am looking to become a 3rd party auditor for AS9100. I see it's in demand, and am willing to do legwork and/or take a few setbacks if needed in order to do so.

I passed the AATT back in 2013, and have worked as QA/Internal Auditor at an avionics co since 2004. I was exploring various CB's as an entry point after AATT. My hope was the standard "AATT + 20 hours of auditing + 1 audit log file = certification"

I talked to one representative at a CB who explained that, because I worked more with Software and Database than hands-on manufacturing, that it would be a tough sell for me to get in the door at their place, and likely industry-wide. Due to that, as well as the company I was working for requiring more of my time, I placed pursuit of External Auditor position on hold. Not a smart move, upon reflection, but c'est la vie.

2 years later, and situation has now changed where I want to pursue again. But now I'm faced with new concerns, and time is ticking on getting auditing hours in.

So, here are my questions:

1) Was the CB representative correct? Do I have a tougher road to follow from a CB POV because I was more software/database focused at my full time job? We did build units, and I was oh-very-much familiar with the process, being the internal auditor that I was, but IA was only about 20% of my job responsibilities.

2) How do I get my 20 auditor hours in when I don't know that many people in the industry, even in my region (Seattle)?

3) Because I waited 2 years to get 20hrs, what risks will I need to mitigate if I start pushing the 3 year mark on the AATT cert?

4) Any other tips, tricks, and advice that you could provide? All would be welcome as I create my game plan.

Many thanks in advance,

-Kate

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: AS9100 Auditor Path - Options?

Different certification bodies may require more than the minimum depending on how much they 'need'. I just took the AS9100C Lead Auditor Course so the following is based on this:

The instructor said that if you do not have the required hours that you can have a certified lead auditor perform the audit along side, however you (personally) will pay for their time.

If you need additional 'audit' time, are there any small/medium shops around you that would be willing to let you perform internal audits on them for a minimal fee. I think you would require some 'verifiable' method to show you performed audits and a 'contract' should do this. If you are looking to just get hours in training, and you are willing to perform the internal audits without breaking the bank, a small/medium shop may be willing to work with you. I know around my area we do things similar to this between companies but it may be a local thing (we will inspect someone else's part for example).

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Hi all - new(ish) to the Cove, so my apologies if I break any etiquette.

To the point - I am looking to become a 3rd party auditor for AS9100. I see it's in demand, and am willing to do legwork and/or take a few setbacks if needed in order to do so.

I passed the AATT back in 2013, and have worked as QA/Internal Auditor at an avionics co since 2004. I was exploring various CB's as an entry point after AATT. My hope was the standard "AATT + 20 hours of auditing + 1 audit log file = certification"

I talked to one representative at a CB who explained that, because I worked more with Software and Database than hands-on manufacturing, that it would be a tough sell for me to get in the door at their place, and likely industry-wide. Due to that, as well as the company I was working for requiring more of my time, I placed pursuit of External Auditor position on hold. Not a smart move, upon reflection, but c'est la vie.

2 years later, and situation has now changed where I want to pursue again. But now I'm faced with new concerns, and time is ticking on getting auditing hours in.

So, here are my questions:

1) Was the CB representative correct? Do I have a tougher road to follow from a CB POV because I was more software/database focused at my full time job? We did build units, and I was oh-very-much familiar with the process, being the internal auditor that I was, but IA was only about 20% of my job responsibilities.

2) How do I get my 20 auditor hours in when I don't know that many people in the industry, even in my region (Seattle)?

3) Because I waited 2 years to get 20hrs, what risks will I need to mitigate if I start pushing the 3 year mark on the AATT cert?

4) Any other tips, tricks, and advice that you could provide? All would be welcome as I create my game plan.

Many thanks in advance,

-Kate
Kate;

There should not be a problem getting your certificate but you must get your audits in. One of the best way is to perform 2nd party audits.

Go to Exemplar.com and get the requirements and find out what you are missing. If you need additional assistance - PM me.

Hurry up before they change the rules again,

S

SEAKate

If you need additional 'audit' time, are there any small/medium shops around you that would be willing to let you perform internal audits on them for a minimal fee. I think you would require some 'verifiable' method to show you performed audits and a 'contract' should do this. If you are looking to just get hours in training, and you are willing to perform the internal audits without breaking the bank, a small/medium shop may be willing to work with you. I know around my area we do things similar to this between companies but it may be a local thing (we will inspect someone else's part for example).
Without sounding like a complete Pollyanna, is there an effective means of finding these types of shops?

S

SEAKate

Kate;

There should not be a problem getting your certificate but you must get your audits in. One of the best way is to perform 2nd party audits.

Go to Exemplar.com and get the requirements and find out what you are missing. If you need additional assistance - PM me.

Hurry up before they change the rules again,
Thanks for the info. I will PM you soon. Apparently I need to do more postings at this point before I can do so.

Michael_M

It may take a bit of research but I would start with the OASIS database and see if you can filter to companies that are located in your general area. Then I would use the internet to find a phone number/website to see if you can find any details about the company before contacting them.

DannyK

I believe there is a demand for your skill set.
If you send me a PM, I can introduce you to a decision maker at a certification body.

Good luck,

Danny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J Is My AS9100 certification Auditor Normal? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
D Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
M AS9100 Re-Cert Audit - Auditor concerned with OSHA regulations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T What is the Rev C equivalent for an RABQSA AS9100 Certified Lead Auditor course? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Future as an AS9100/NADCAP Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Need Clarity on AS9100 Lead Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
R AS9100 Internal Auditor Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
AshleyE Taking AS9100 C Lead Auditor Course - Any Advice? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
F AS9100 - How many times can the same auditor audit your system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Is it required to be LA certified in order to be an AS9100 Auditor? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Developing an AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A AS9100 rev C Skill Examiner Audit to complete my RABQSA Auditor certification Career and Occupation Discussions 3
T AS9100 Series Auditor Certification - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Waiting for an Auditor after our AS9100 Stage Two Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
G AS9100 Course Recommendation (AATT VS RABQSA Lead Auditor) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
N AS9100 Lead Auditor Course in India Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
C RABQSA Certified AS9100 Rev. C Lead Auditor Training Course Providers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 47
C AS9100 and ISO 9001 - Dual Certifications Suggested at AS9100 Internal Auditor class AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Completing RABQSA AS9100 AIEA Auditor Certification Requirements - how to get audits? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
C AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Class in the US - Recommendations wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A AS9100 Internal Auditor Training and Qualifications Internal Auditing 8
E AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Course Professional Certifications and Degrees 25
O AS9100 Rev B Lead Auditor Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
P When is a training course not a training course? Acceptable AS9100 Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100 & ISO 9001 Internal Audits (-+) - Auditor Qualifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
K What does an AS9100 RABQSA auditor get paid? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
P Can I perform an ISO 13485 audit? I'm a registered RABQSA QMS and AS9100 Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Required number of auditor days (Audit Man-Days) for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 32
B AS9100 Lead Auditor Requirements General Auditing Discussions 24
L AeroSpace AS9100 AS Lead Auditor Course Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
A AS9100 ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training - Long Island NY Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L AS9100 Lead Auditor Training In India Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N AS9100 Internal Auditor Requirements vs. TS16949 Internal Auditor Requirements Internal Auditing 8
W AS9100 Certified Auditor needed for December 2006 Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
C AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Recommendations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
Randy AS9100 Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1