AS9100 Cl. 7.2 Competency for contract workers

chinadaddy02

Involved In Discussions
What is the best way to show competency for contract workers?

I had a finding where the review of competency for contract workers was not shown. I don't want to go to the point where my company has to review each contract worker to show their competency. I would rather have it done by the contract house and address it in the terms and conditions statement.

FYI - I have a statement on the bottom of my company's PO along the lines that work to be performed by qualified personnel, but that alone is not sufficient. I have checked large aerospace companies to see how they go about it, but it is basically the same as what I already have.

Is there a better way to address this?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Do you hire "contract workers", show them their work area and "set them loose"? Please, please, please , don't answer you do that.

Don't they have some indoctrination, training and supervised training before they are let loose to perform the work?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
First it should be in you communication with the agency. I need x and y. They should do the verification. Maybe they can document it for you and send it.

Then specific orientation and training on their specific duty followed by supervisor observation should be good.

Sounds like your auditor wants a bunch of tests and documentation.

B

BoardGuy

You could define to the outside organizations your competence needs for a contract work including U.S. Person status if your organization must comply with International Trade and Arms Regulations but that only get the contact work in the door. The contract worker must also be competent in the way the organization operates just the same as if you had hired the worker as an employee.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
What is the best way to show competency for contract workers?

I had a finding where the review of competency for contract workers was not shown. I don't want to go to the point where my company has to review each contract worker to show their competency. I would rather have it done by the contract house and address it in the terms and conditions statement.

FYI - I have a statement on the bottom of my company's PO along the lines that work to be performed by qualified personnel, but that alone is not sufficient. I have checked large aerospace companies to see how they go about it, but it is basically the same as what I already have.

Is there a better way to address this?

1. Issue a PO and part of the PO you should be listing the qualifiers you need for the position such weigh lifting, knowledge of computer, US Person or citizen, etc.

2. When they present you with candidates - do an interview and present them with the same criteria that you expresses on the PO and documented.

3. If the individual needs additional training - please provided it and documented.

4. Now you have developed a training progrocess for outside contractors.

chinadaddy02

Involved In Discussions
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner - stomach flu.

We outsource installation (when required); the installation is supervised by our own employees.

We put out a RFQ and the contract house vendors quote the manpower required (based on the size of the installation and timing), the vendors determine the number of workers (builders, electricians, etc.) as part of the quote. The length of time could be a few days to a couple of months. The contract workers do not come to our facility, they go to the customer site (whether it be local or out of state).

They (the contract house) determine who is qualified to perform the work but, per the standard, my company is responsible to determine their competence.

Top Bottom