AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts

jwdjmd

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone....I'm back!

My question today has to do with this statement: Counterfeit, or suspect counterfeit, parts shall be controlled to prevent reentry into the supply chain".

The company I work for is a raw PWB manufacturer. We do not do assembly here. We purchase raw materials (resin, prepreg, copper etc.) to go into the manufacture of the boards from only OEM or approved suppliers. We provide material specifications to the suppliers and we receive CoCs or CoAs stating that the material meets requirements. We have never to my knowledge have received or even suspected that we've received counterfeit materials.

So how do I demonstrate that I comply with the clause?

Thanks again for all your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone....I'm back!

My question today has to do with this statement: Counterfeit, or suspect counterfeit, parts shall be controlled to prevent reentry into the supply chain".

The company I work for is a raw PWB manufacturer. We do not do assembly here. We purchase raw materials (resin, prepreg, copper etc.) to go into the manufacture of the boards from only OEM or approved suppliers. We provide material specifications to the suppliers and we receive CoCs or CoAs stating that the material meets requirements. We have never to my knowledge have received or even suspected that we've received counterfeit materials.

So how do I demonstrate that I comply with the clause?

Thanks again for all your help!
GIDEP is the first step but you should also look at AS5553 - Counterfeit Electronic Parts; Avoidance, Detection, Mitigation, and Disposition.

In addition, you should periodically take the raw material and send it to an independent lab to make sure that the composition is accurate.

Now you have developed a counterfeit program.

BoardGuy

As a bare board manufacture you would need to develop counterfeit control plan which you could base off of AS6174, Counterfeit Materiel - Assuring Acquisition of Authentic and Conforming Materiel. I would not use AS5553 as you are not purchasing electronic components. Written counterfeit control plans are usually mandated by the customer so just create one and be done with it.

[FONT=&quot]How do you demonstrate compliance? State within your nonconforming control procedure that product suspect as being counterfeit shall be quarantined to prevent reentry into your manufacturing processes with disposition in accordance with your counterfeit control plan. [/FONT]

AS5553 has nothing to do with bare board manufacturing. A simple way to address this is to include in your POs to your material suppliers (if they aren't the actual manufacturers) is to state that you want OE materials (Dupont etc) and that substitutions are not permitted.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
As a bare board manufacture you would need to develop counterfeit control plan which you could base off of AS6174, Counterfeit Materiel - Assuring Acquisition of Authentic and Conforming Materiel. I would not use AS5553 as you are not purchasing electronic components. Written counterfeit control plans are usually mandated by the customer so just create one and be done with it.
I agree that AS6174 is definitely the better way to go. The 38 page standard only has about 2 pages of requirements. The rest of the standard includes informative appendices with guidance and sample contract clauses.

dsanabria

[FONT=&quot]How do you demonstrate compliance? State within your nonconforming control procedure that product suspect as being counterfeit shall be quarantined to prevent reentry into your manufacturing processes with disposition in accordance with your counterfeit control plan. [/FONT]
Agree - AS6174 is a better choice - sorry brain freeze.

Having said that - please note that a lot of customers are not aware of AS6174 and will quote AS5553 (that's all they know) so gently push back and educate them... :agree1:

Your question has to do with prevention re-entry to the supply chain. You simply need to contain the material. You do not return it to the supplier. It is possible that the counterfeit material may need to be investigated for possible prosecution of the supplier. Preventing counterfeit material from entering your process can be a variety of processes based on the risk they pose (8.1.4, 8.4.3)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
quality1 AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
L AS9100 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Responsibilities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
M AS9100 7.5.1 Control of Production disagreement of intentions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M AS9100 Control of CNC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S AS9100 Control of Documents and SAP Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M AS9100 7.5.1.2 and 7.5.1.3 - Control of Production requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M AS9100 - 4.2.4 Control of Records and 6.3 Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K ISO 9001 vs AS9100 Gap Analysis on Delivery Performance and Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Supplier Retained Records Requirements - AS9100 4.2.4 Control of Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C AS9100 C Requirement for a Document and Data Control Table AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Changes Assessment as per AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.2 Control of Production Process Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S New Requirements for Design Control in AS9100 C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AS9100 Requirements for Supplier & Subtier Supplier Control Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
G AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 Control of Work Transfers clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
B AS9100 7.5.1.F and 7.5.1 G Intent - Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
L Product Sales and Marketing Brochures - AS9100 Document Control Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
E AS9100 7.5.1.5 Control of Service Operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K AS9100 Drawing Control Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P AS9100 4.2.3 Control Of Documents - Requirement to retain Obsolete Documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Definition Repair Schemes - Definition - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.5 Control of Service Operations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S How to control the revisions of the company AS9100 Quality Systems Manual AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A AS9100 7.5.1.3 Control of .... Numerical NC/CNC Machines Programs. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Control of CNC Machine Programs in Engineering Workshops (Aerospace, AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
C AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.5 - Control of Service Operations - We do not do servicing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S 4.2.4 Control of Records - Registered to ISO9001:2000, ISO 13485 and AS9100 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
G AS9100 4.9 Process Control - Specify process documents and their revision levels AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10