AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records

G

gilstrr

Could I get some opinions and/or arguements for the following?
We have an AS9100B QMS and I have updated our documents to AS9100C. Last week we had an internal audit (by an outside source) and one of their comments about our ASL was that I do not have listed the Registrar, the consulting firm that performed our internal audit nor the temporary service we use to find some of our employees. I have all other suppliers listed with all required information per the Rev. C Standard.

My arguement was that I have all suppliers listed that provide goods or services that affect the quality of our products that we sell to our customers. How does our Registrar provide a service that affects the quality of our products? If he comes in and writes me a finding on my Quality System and when I implement the corrective action to improve that area he has done nothing to improve my Quality System...I have. He simply observed and reported the finding. In addition, how would I monitor the metrics for any of these "suppliers?" If I'm getting employees from the temp service that show up late for work does that mean the temp service has poor delivery therefore their on-time delivery metrics suffers? My thoughts are that this is carrying it too far and does not belong on the ASL.

Thougths??

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

gilstrr

What have you defined in section 4.2.4 Records Control as your retention period? Simply define it and do it. The only other requirement would be anything flowed down from another source. In other words, does one of your customers require that you maintain these records for a minimum period of time?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have an AS9100B QMS and I have updated our documents to AS9100C. Last week we had an internal audit (by an outside source) and one of their comments about our ASL was that I do not have listed the Registrar, the consulting firm that performed our internal audit nor the temporary service we use to find some of our employees. I have all other suppliers listed with all required information per the Rev. C Standard.

My arguement was that I have all suppliers listed that provide goods or services that affect the quality of our products that we sell to our customers. How does our Registrar provide a service that affects the quality of our products? If he comes in and writes me a finding on my Quality System and when I implement the corrective action to improve that area he has done nothing to improve my Quality System...I have. He simply observed and reported the finding. In addition, how would I monitor the metrics for any of these "suppliers?" If I'm getting employees from the temp service that show up late for work does that mean the temp service has poor delivery therefore their on-time delivery metrics suffers? My thoughts are that this is carrying it too far and does not belong on the ASL.

Thougths??
First, find out where he got this requirement for an approved supplier list - (ASL).

then read the requirement
;
AS9100 7.4.1
"The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization's requirements..."

and - Unless those companies (mentioned above) provide services to your product then, they don't should not be part of the ASL.

finally... its time to start looking for another outside source...;)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
From what you described, you are OUTSOURCING the internal auditing process, which happens to be a QMS-related process. To that effect, 4.1 of the AS9100 standard requires you to control the outsourced internal auditing process. How do you determine if the people/vendor are competent to perform an effective QMS internal audit of your organization? How do they schedule, plan, perform and report audit results? What are their qualifications? Etc.

First, find out where he got this requirement for an approved supplier list - (ASL).
Probably from the requirement that reads
The organization shall
a) maintain a register of its suppliers that includes approval status (e.g., approved, conditional, disapproved) and the scope of the approval (e.g., product type, process family),

G

gilstrr

Yes, but if you go on to read is says, "Where an organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity to requirements, the organization shall ensure control over such processes." My point of contention is that an audit in itself does not "affect product conformity to requirements."
Thank you very much for your comments!

J

Jason PCSwitches

Yes, but if you go on to read is says, "Where an organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity to requirements, the organization shall ensure control over such processes." My point of contention is that an audit in itself does not "affect product conformity to requirements."
Thank you very much for your comments!

The auditing of your processes does have a relationship to product conformity!!!!!!!

dsanabria

Thougths??
Just for clarification.

Yes, the outside auditor can be included in the ASL (not sure how you would review it's performance... would like to hear what other cove member have done).

The auditor ask you to place the "temp agency" on the ASL

and your registrar?

Did they also asked you to place the telephone, water and electricity companies in the ASL?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
My point of contention is that an audit in itself does not "affect product conformity to requirements."
You have a valid point. However, look at Note 2 under 4.1, which reads
NOTE 2: An “outsourced process” is a process that the organization needs for its quality management system and which the organization chooses to have performed by an external party.
So, once again, we have a situation which shows that the authors of ISO 9001 could have done a better job, in terms of clarifying the requirements.

G

gilstrr

Sidney, that is the best argument yet that I have seen for adding auditors to the ASL. During previous reads of the standard I did not look at that note in the same light, but a case could certainly be made for it on second look. I have outsourced my internal audit and we "outsource" some of our employee finding by using a temp service, but would you consider our Registrar as an outsourced process? Isn't that just part of the requirement of obtaining certification? There is no option of performing that process internally.

kgott

Re: 7.4.1 Purchasing Process

What’s wrong with saying that the mere fact that a supplier is on the list means they are approved? Our finance department has this list and they send out by email seeking the suppliers particulars required to contact and pay them.

We don’t evaluate all suppliers, we have 4 categories, those we don’t evaluate anyway because they are large national and or international organisations, Joe Blow and his offsider with this truck, those who are off-the-shelf suppliers and those few we do an assessment on when we use them on projects and their evaluation is part of the project closure report

Easy as, ..... or have I missed something?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 24
A Definition of "Sensitive Products" Clause 8.5.4 (c) in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
C AS9100, Clause 8.5.1.3 - First Article Inspection Costs AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
J Not Design Responsible - Can we exclude all or parts of AS9100 clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
I How to satisfy with AS9100 Clause 8.4.3 a, Information for external providers? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
oldqamanager How will you handle Clause 6.1 - Risks and Opportunities for AS9100 Rev. D Auditors? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 22
howste AS9100 Rev D Clause 10.2 - Is Cause always required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 39
W AS9100 Clause 8.5.1.3 Production Run Verification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
W Evidence for Review of Requirements - AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
W Checklist for AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 Review Of Requirememts Related to Product AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
W AS9100 Clause 8.2.3.C Monitoring and Measurement of Processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
S Process Monitoring and Measurement - AS9100 Clause 8.2.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Verification of Process Changes (AS9100 clause 7.5.1.2) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Z AS9100 Clause 7.4.2.d Revision Letter Flow Down to Suppliers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
M Management Review - AS9100 Clause 5.6.3 Review Output AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
V Application of AS9100 clause 7.5.1.1 - Tooling Supplier AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
G AS9100 clause for Repeat Orders AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Compliance with AS9100 clause 7.5.1.3 Ctrl of Equipment, Tools and SW Programs AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Changes Assessment as per AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.2 Control of Production Process Changes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Understanding AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.4 Post-Delivery Support Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
K AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 - Documenting "Special Requirements" and risks AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
G AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 Production Process Verification Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 28
J AS9100 Clause 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product - OEM C of C required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
B AS9100 Clause 8.2.3.C Monitoring and Measurement and 8.5.2 Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
C AS9100 C Clause 8.3 - Personnel Approval Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
C AS9100 Rev C Clause 8.5.2 - CAR (Corrective Action Request) Format AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
B AS9100 Clause 7.3.3 - Design and Developement Requirements d and e AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
J Production Process Verification - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
M AS9100 Clause 4.2.3 requirements - Documents required by the QMS shall be Controlled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
R AS9100C Special Process Procedure - Work Instruction for AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 wanted AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
G AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 Control of Work Transfers clarification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
quality1 AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
P Intercompany Work Transfer according to AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
O Clause Interpretations related to AS9100 Implementation AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
I Standard vs. Specification & AS9100 Clause 7.4.2 (d) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
H Planning of Product Realization - AS9100 Clause 7.1 - Can we exclude 7.1f? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
S Is Configuration Management Mandatory? AS9100 Clause 7.1.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
S Problem Collecting In-Service Data (AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.4) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
A Understanding AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 Validation of Processes for Production and Service AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q What is considered a Training Record? AS9100:2004 Clause 6.2.2 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
B Question about the word "Design" in AS9100 Clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M New to AS9100 - Clause 7.5.3 - Do you have to identify each part produced AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
J Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 15
E Meeting AS9100 Clause 6.3 Infrastructure Requirements - Preventive Maintenance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
C Definition Repair Schemes - Definition - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.5 Control of Service Operations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
L How to comply with AS9100 Clause 7.6 - Monitoring and measuring devices to be used AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 31