AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 Production Process Verification Requirements

G

goodnede

Hello, I would like to ask how some of you out there meet the requirements of AS9100C 7.5.1.1, Production Process Verification? Specifically who is considered to be the process owner and who is responsible for recognizing it needs to be performed. Thanks in advance.

matkins

Starting to get Involved
This section is referring to your First Article Inspection (FAI). See AS9102, it gives you the requirements for when FAI is required and how to perform and document it. At my company both engineering and quality are responsible for the different aspects of this requirement.

J

Jimw1954

We reference AS9102 FAI in Section 7.5.1.1 when FAI is needed. For jobs that are not new or have not been dormant for more than 2 years, we simply reference a first piece inspection to validate the production process.

G

goodnede

Thanks for the replies so far. We do AS9102 FA if a contract requires it. I think it is the first piece inspection that is tripping people up. Does QC have to document the first piece inspection or can the fabricator document it?

J

Jimw1954

First piece inspections are done on site here by the inspection dept. The results of the inspection are documented and the inspector who approves the first piece signs off for traceability.

G

goodnede

Thanks. that makes sense to me. Our QC supervisor doesn't want his inspectors doing first piece. He thinks the fabricators should do their own. Is there any requirement outside of the AS standard? Is it ok either way, I mean is the requirement being met? I ask because we only count the IM & TE controlled by quality as tools used for acceptance, would the fabrictors tools count (they are in our Calibration program but are strictly for manufacturing).

J

Jimw1954

I think as long as you can prove that the fabricators have been trained and are competent to perform first piece inspections. Although first piece inspection must be performed in the inspection dept, I have trained the people on the floor to perform their own in process inspections. Those who are approved have documented training in the training folders. We have been AS9100 certified since 2008 and this area has always been clean.

G

goodnede

Currently all of our in process inspections have to bought off by QC in order to move to the next step which to me would mean a first piece would too....

Top Bottom