AS9100 Clause 8.2.3.C Monitoring and Measurement of Processes

W

w_grunfeld

The Auditor of my client has indicated that during his upcoming AS9100 audit he will be looking for metrics for the following major processes :
Design and Development
Assembly
OTD
Of these OTD is straightforward and my client has adequate data
Can anyone help with suggestions of how to measure the Design and Development Process and the Assembly process ?
Management has suggested using a Post Project /Lessons Learned Review as the means to grade the D&D process. I am totally clueless as to how to measure the assembly process. Any suggestions/examples will be most welcome

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Since you need to have metrics for four topics to satisfy 8.4, pull from one or more of them.

An appropriate KPI for both Assembly and Design would be something about product quality (8.4b). How are you measuring that? Do you track customer rejects, warranty expense, scrap rates, first time yield of final inspection, or rework rates?

J

Jeff Frost

If your client is already registered to AS9100C the measurement matrix would have existed and contained 12 months of data per AS9101 audit requirements. Pull their last registrar audit package and review the PEARS with your client to see what was stated as the measurement and work from that point forward.

W

w_grunfeld

No , he is not. The question is for preparing client for the registration audit
Thanks anyway

W

w_grunfeld

Since you need to have metrics for four topics to satisfy 8.4, pull from one or more of them.

An appropriate KPI for both Assembly and Design would be something about product quality (8.4b). How are you measuring that? Do you track customer rejects, warranty expense, scrap rates, first time yield of final inspection, or rework rates?
Unfortunately so far none of those were tracked.
Most of my clents products are one of a kind or very low volume: prototype+ 2-10 units.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
The Auditor of my client has indicated that during his upcoming AS9100 audit he will be looking for metrics for the following major processes :
Design and Development
Assembly
OTD
Of these OTD is straightforward and my client has adequate data
Can anyone help with suggestions of how to measure the Design and Development Process and the Assembly process ?
Management has suggested using a Post Project /Lessons Learned Review as the means to grade the D&D process. I am totally clueless as to how to measure the assembly process. Any suggestions/examples will be most welcome
Cl 4 requires that processes be defined, criteria for effectiveness (How will you judge if the process is effective?) be defined, and metrics developed to track thoose criteria.

An example for Assembly could center on - Criteria is we expect the assembly to function and perform to all requirements. Metrics for that could focus on what percentage of assemblies meet those requirements.

May I ask a question? (please don't take this question to offend), but if you are guiding this client toward certification, and they are doing aerospace work, is this section of developing a system process not familiar to you? You and the client might want to do a little more study in this area. Developing and measuring the processes is a fundamental part of the quality program, and it appears "Process Approach" will become even more important in the 2015 version of the ISO 90001 standard that AS9100 is based on.

There is a lot of good material on process approach here at Elsmar. I might even have a white paper here soemwhere on that topic. Best Wishes...

W

w_grunfeld

Cl 4 requires that processes be defined, criteria for effectiveness (How will you judge if the process is effective?) be defined, and metrics developed to track thoose criteria.

An example for Assembly could center on - Criteria is we expect the assembly to function and perform to all requirements. Metrics for that could focus on what percentage of assemblies meet those requirements.

May I ask a question? (please don't take this question to offend), but if you are guiding this client toward certification, and they are doing aerospace work, is this section of developing a system process not familiar to you? You and the client might want to do a little more study in this area. Developing and measuring the processes is a fundamental part of the quality program, and it appears "Process Approach" will become even more important in the 2015 version of the ISO 90001 standard that AS9100 is based on.

There is a lot of good material on process approach here at Elsmar. I might even have a white paper here soemwhere on that topic. Best Wishes...
Hi Helmut,
I am not at all offended, I am familiar with the process approach but unlike for ISO9001, this time the auditor clarified in advance that one of the metrics must measure design and another the installation process.
My original question in this thread was would it be acceptable to use as a design quality metrics a grade given by a post project review board? I.e. developing a set of criteria and associated grades for each and then some sort of averaging those individual grades?
Management feels that a post project review/lessons learned review is something they are interested in anyway, so why not shoot 2 birds with 1 stone?
As for using first pass yield at the end of assembly, measures more than just quality of assembly.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hi Helmut,
I am not at all offended, I am familiar with the process approach but unlike for ISO9001, this time the auditor clarified in advance that one of the metrics must measure design and another the installation process.
My original question in this thread was would it be acceptable to use as a design quality metrics a grade given by a post project review board? I.e. developing a set of criteria and associated grades for each and then some sort of averaging those individual grades?
Management feels that a post project review/lessons learned review is something they are interested in anyway, so why not shoot 2 birds with 1 stone?
As for using first pass yield at the end of assembly, measures more than just quality of assembly.
Each process is required to be measured or monitored, but unfortunately, some ISO 9001 auditors fail to audit that. As to what should be measured, ISO leaves that to your choice. The organization defines the important criteria and then selects a method to measure or monitor from those criteria. Your example of the post review would be an excellent choice since management has defined that is being important. My example of Yeild would also be a valid example even though it does measure a little bit more than strictly the assembly. Either choice and others are left to the organization to define. But there does need to be at least one metric for each process.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Each process is required to be measured or monitored, but unfortunately, some ISO 9001 auditors fail to audit that. As to what should be measured, ISO leaves that to your choice. The organization defines the important criteria and then selects a method to measure or monitor from those criteria. Your example of the post review would be an excellent choice since management has defined that is being important. My example of Yeild would also be a valid example even though it does measure a little bit more than strictly the assembly. Either choice and others are left to the organization to define. But there does need to be at least one metric for each process.
Helmut,

Perhaps the reason employees, supervisors and managers are not monitoring their processes could be that the internal auditors have (mistakenly in my view) taken on this responsibility.

If process monitoring is done by the auditors, process monitoring may not be not audited by the auditors.

And this auditor role may disengage process teams from monitoring and improving their processes.

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Process Monitoring and Measurement - AS9100 Clause 8.2.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B AS9100 Clause 8.2.3.C Monitoring and Measurement and 8.5.2 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L How to comply with AS9100 Clause 7.6 - Monitoring and measuring devices to be used AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
A Definition of "Sensitive Products" Clause 8.5.4 (c) in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C AS9100, Clause 8.5.1.3 - First Article Inspection Costs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
J Not Design Responsible - Can we exclude all or parts of AS9100 clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
I How to satisfy with AS9100 Clause 8.4.3 a, Information for external providers? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
O How will you handle Clause 6.1 - Risks and Opportunities for AS9100 Rev. D Auditors? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 22
howste AS9100 Rev D Clause 10.2 - Is Cause always required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 39
W AS9100 Clause 8.5.1.3 Production Run Verification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
W Evidence for Review of Requirements - AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
W Checklist for AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 Review Of Requirememts Related to Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Verification of Process Changes (AS9100 clause 7.5.1.2) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Z AS9100 Clause 7.4.2.d Revision Letter Flow Down to Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Management Review - AS9100 Clause 5.6.3 Review Output AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
V Application of AS9100 clause 7.5.1.1 - Tooling Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G AS9100 clause for Repeat Orders AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Compliance with AS9100 clause 7.5.1.3 Ctrl of Equipment, Tools and SW Programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Changes Assessment as per AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.2 Control of Production Process Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Understanding AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.4 Post-Delivery Support Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 - Documenting "Special Requirements" and risks AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 Production Process Verification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Interpreting AS9100 Clause 8.2.2 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 28
J AS9100 Clause 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product - OEM C of C required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C AS9100 C Clause 8.3 - Personnel Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C AS9100 Rev C Clause 8.5.2 - CAR (Corrective Action Request) Format AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B AS9100 Clause 7.3.3 - Design and Developement Requirements d and e AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Production Process Verification - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
M AS9100 Clause 4.2.3 requirements - Documents required by the QMS shall be Controlled AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
R AS9100C Special Process Procedure - Work Instruction for AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 Control of Work Transfers clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Intercompany Work Transfer according to AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
O Clause Interpretations related to AS9100 Implementation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Standard vs. Specification & AS9100 Clause 7.4.2 (d) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
H Planning of Product Realization - AS9100 Clause 7.1 - Can we exclude 7.1f? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Is Configuration Management Mandatory? AS9100 Clause 7.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S Problem Collecting In-Service Data (AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.4) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Understanding AS9100 Clause 7.5.2 Validation of Processes for Production and Service AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q What is considered a Training Record? AS9100:2004 Clause 6.2.2 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
B Question about the word "Design" in AS9100 Clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M New to AS9100 - Clause 7.5.3 - Do you have to identify each part produced AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
E Meeting AS9100 Clause 6.3 Infrastructure Requirements - Preventive Maintenance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C Definition Repair Schemes - Definition - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.5 Control of Service Operations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5