AS9100 Clause 8.3 "Rendering Scrap Unusable"

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Some attendees were from a company that manufactures turbines for jet engines. They said that they used to drill a hole in nonconforming turbines and put them in the scrap bin. However, they later found that someone was pulling the turbines from the scrap bin, welding up the holes and attempting to sell them on the gray market. :mg: They no longer consider drilling holes to be permanent marking...
But drilling holes is not marking. Drilling holes is rendering the part unsuitable for use already, which, according to the standard no longer requires the part to be permanently marked. As you described, people still could "repair" the hole and sell the bogus part. No system will be able to close all loopholes if people are DETERMINED to cheat and commit fraud.

Also please note that if the nonconforming product is positively controlled, i.e, in a locked, segregated cage, clearly labeled, the permanent marking requirement might be disregarded.

The key thing is to prevent unintended use of non-conforming product, until it is mutilated.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Sandblasting, steamrolling, vibraetch, all work great and are not practical. With the counterfeit parts issues becoming more prevalent, I'm not surprised that this came into question.

Small outfits such as ours often need to buy EOL material from the grey market, aka brokers. I agree that you could perhaps onsite audit your disposal vendor and attempt to buttress your case that the situation is under control.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Typical items found to be nonconforming here: electronic components (i.c.'s, connectors), occasionally sheet metal housings (slightly larger than a toaster) and castings (smaller than a toaster).
Other than the castings, most of those sound easier to mutilate or destroy than to permanently mark. Even the castings may be easier to damage with a hammer than to permanently mark with vibro-engraving or similar method.

S

sarah0305

In my past repair station we had a method of ensuring that no parts that where to go out as scrap would be in resealable condition.
This came about not out of concern of having any part resold but to maximize the amount of scrap in the drum.
we configured a sheet metal rolling fixture for all small type components"circuit boards, transistors, resistors and the likes" and ran them through the fixture to fit more in the drum.
Castings and unservicable parts where crushed and broken apart.
What can I say the repair station was cheap :D.
A bit off topic but a possiblilty for rendering the capacitors scrap and not ruining the scrap value for the recycling yard.
:agree1:
Most here know more then i do about the standard , i look at ways of making things comply with them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hit 'em wiff a BMFH:lol:

I used to do that to rotor blades so it oughta work on little electric gizmo's

P

Phiobi

What constitutes being "permanently marked"? Right now we attach (tape, rubber band) red "rejected" labels on the nonconforming item. I can see somebody who has no remorse in short-circuiting the nonconforming product process removing these labels though. (We are also obviously not up to an AS9100 level quality system yet.)

How do YOU permanently mark nonconforming product?

I've always taken pleasure in putting a screwdriver through any scrap product.
I have seen electrical units and single parts being snipped or a feature broken so there is still a physical mark, even if a small one.

C

Citizen Kane

True, the screwdriver marks cannot be missed also in our location. I mean, with all the trainings for the operators and care, you still get some.

Top Bottom