AS9100 Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Rework Dispositions

My company is looking at revising it's procedure for dealing with the disposition of non-conformances. They would like to push this onto our operators as opposed to having our Engineering Manager deal with dispositions as is our current process. If standard reworks are defined in a specification, are operators able to use these instructions to deal with a non-conformance and perform their own rework without additional authorization? I am seeing a problem with this but I am getting a lot of push back due to the cost savings this could have. The claim is that if the part hasn't been presented to Quality inspection then the part does not need to be rejected. I don't see a clear definition of a non-conformance or rework in the AS9100 document to determine if this is valid or not.

Note: Anything that does not have rework instructions defined in the specification that would need customer MRB dispositions would still be sent to the customer provided the operators understood that distinction. My company does not have design authority and is a build-to-print shop.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi, Zack - welcome to the cove.

Are you making one-off things, like non-flight hardware and ground support equipment? Or is this an approved production process for fly-away parts?

Hi Cari - Thank you!

This is related to approved special processes such as rework to paint or reprocessing after chemical processing. My company has a wide range of areas such as Sheet Metal, heat treat, machining, bonding, chemical processing, paint and assembly. We build detail and small assemblies.

They are looking for ways to reduce the number of DMR's written and therefore reduce the amount of time the parts need to go through the approval process so they can get reworked right away.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I don't see a clear definition of a non-conformance or rework in the AS9100 document to determine if this is valid or not.
AS9100 calls on ISO 9000-2015 for definitions. The definitions are also available in the ISO OBP site. For example, rework is defined as
Screenshot 2021-05-21 105658.jpg
If you are REALLY doing rework (and NOT repair), I don't understand the resistance for allowing the operators taking care of the rework operation themselves without any other function's involvement. The only issue I would have is in a case where the volume of rework is not being captured in the system, for a profitability stand point. From a product integrity/quality stand point, rework does not compromise the order.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I've been through this debate more than once and I can see and appreciate several sides.

Generally, unless there is a good reason not to, I see no harm in what your company is proposing and have seen it work well in most instances, and we do it in my current AS9100 company. Keep it as simple as you can, but no simpler.

For example, you have a guy machine a part in a lathe, then he measures it and realizes it is oversize. Why get an engineer involved and create paperwork when the operator knows what to do to rework the part and can probably do it faster than you could create the NC paperwork?

Now, if a part is out-of-spec and the operator is over his head in trying to figure out how to rework it or even if it can be reworked, then by all means, get Engineering involved.

I hope this makes sense.

I've been through this debate more than once and I can see and appreciate several sides.

Generally, unless there is a good reason not to, I see no harm in what your company is proposing and have seen it work well in most instances, and we do it in my current AS9100 company. Keep it as simple as you can, but no simpler.

For example, you have a guy machine a part in a lathe, then he measures it and realizes it is oversize. Why get an engineer involved and create paperwork when the operator knows what to do to rework the part and can probably do it faster than you could create the NC paperwork?

Now, if a part is out-of-spec and the operator is over his head in trying to figure out how to rework it or even if it can be reworked, then by all means, get Engineering involved.

I hope this makes sense.

That does make sense and I am in agreement on that. For minor reworks that are an incomplete operation we are just going to let the operator fix their work. It is more related to what I would consider a full rework that I'm unsure of.

For example, if the parts are painted and cured and then found to have dust/dirt or a scratch in the paint, would it be acceptable to let the paint operator strip and repaint the parts without any oversight? Or would this be considered a nonconformance where a disposition would need to be from a qualified individual?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
That does make sense and I am in agreement on that. For minor reworks that are an incomplete operation we are just going to let the operator fix their work. It is more related to what I would consider a full rework that I'm unsure of.

For example, if the parts are painted and cured and then found to have dust/dirt or a scratch in the paint, would it be acceptable to let the paint operator strip and repaint the parts without any oversight? Or would this be considered a nonconformance where a disposition would need to be from a qualified individual?
Like I said, IMO if the operator is over his head in trying to figure out how to rework it or even if it can be reworked, then by all means, get Engineering or the cognizant expert involved.

Like I say, there are lots of opinions on this and an infinite number of unique situations and circumstances, so one size definitely does not fit all. But in general we try to not characterize a "defect" as an official nonconformance or require formal disposition if there is no value in doing so. We let the fix take place at the easiest, fastest, most efficient place, which is often the original operator in real-time.

Some folks disagree and insist any rework at any step has to be documented.

John Predmore

AS9100 section 8.7.1 has highlighted text added to the ISO 9001 equivalent:
"The organization’s nonconformity control process shall be maintained as documented information including the provisions for: −
defining the responsibility and authority for the review and disposition of nonconforming outputs and the process for approving persons making these decisions;"

If the operator decides a part is non-conforming and needs rework, does this fall under this review and disposition clause? If so, his/her responsibility and authority to self-inspect and rework must be defined (in order to be auditable, this authority would have to be documented information), and there must be a process for approving this person making these decisions. What is your take on that?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Hi John,

I get it. I've had debates about it with colleagues. Where is the line? When does a product become nonconforming?

Let's say your process is cleaning. The input is dirty widgets, about 100 per day. The process is cleaning, let's say it goes into a widget washer for 1 minute then gets rinsed for 10 seconds and dried under a blower for 2 minutes. The output is clean widgets. The clean widget is an input for an inspection process and after that is a paint process.

Let's say that today widget # 56 still had a little dirt on it after cleaning, but before we sent it to the next process.

Option 1: Send it on to inspection. Inspection rejects it, writes up a NCMR, sends it to MRB, they disposition it as rework - reclean - reinspect. Elapsed time: 26 hours

Option 2: Call Engineering for a consult. Four hours later the cognizant Process Engineer stops by and says run it through again and it'll be fine. He notes this on the router. Elapsed time: about 4 hours.

Option 3: The process operator knows all he/she has to do is run it through again and it'll be clean. Sometimes this happens - maybe once or twice a week. No big deal. It goes through again, comes out clean, is moved on to inspection. Elapsed time: 4 minutes.

Did the product become officially nonconforming?

If yes, when exactly did the product become officially nonconforming?

In most cases, I would want my people operating under option 3 and I would argue we never created a nonconforming product so no review and disposition was required.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
L AS9100 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Responsibilities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
M AS9100 7.5.1 Control of Production disagreement of intentions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M AS9100 Control of CNC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S AS9100 Control of Documents and SAP Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M AS9100 7.5.1.2 and 7.5.1.3 - Control of Production requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M AS9100 - 4.2.4 Control of Records and 6.3 Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K ISO 9001 vs AS9100 Gap Analysis on Delivery Performance and Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Supplier Retained Records Requirements - AS9100 4.2.4 Control of Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C AS9100 C Requirement for a Document and Data Control Table AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Changes Assessment as per AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.2 Control of Production Process Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S New Requirements for Design Control in AS9100 C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AS9100 Requirements for Supplier & Subtier Supplier Control Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
G AS9100 Clause 7.1.4 Control of Work Transfers clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J AS9100 Control of Non Conforming Product - Personnel who make Disposition Decisions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
B AS9100 7.5.1.F and 7.5.1 G Intent - Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
L Product Sales and Marketing Brochures - AS9100 Document Control Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
E AS9100 7.5.1.5 Control of Service Operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K AS9100 Drawing Control Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P AS9100 4.2.3 Control Of Documents - Requirement to retain Obsolete Documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Definition Repair Schemes - Definition - AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.5 Control of Service Operations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S How to control the revisions of the company AS9100 Quality Systems Manual AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A AS9100 7.5.1.3 Control of .... Numerical NC/CNC Machines Programs. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Control of CNC Machine Programs in Engineering Workshops (Aerospace, AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
C AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.5 - Control of Service Operations - We do not do servicing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S 4.2.4 Control of Records - Registered to ISO9001:2000, ISO 13485 and AS9100 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
G AS9100 4.9 Process Control - Specify process documents and their revision levels AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Crusader AS9100 7.5.2 NOTE Approval methods identified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T AS9100 audit due to facility move AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K AS9100 and ISO9001 together AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Do AS9100 Registrar Auditors have nonconformity quotas? General Auditing Discussions 45
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
L Heading dies as "tooling" and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3