AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,
I am trying to understand the requirements for suppliers to have a procedure on Capacity Planning. Is having a procedure or showing evidence of Capacity Planning a requirement or just a suggestion?

thanks,
Nicole

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
There are requirements to review the effectiveness of the system, including on-time delivery performance (as per 9.3.2). If there are no controls in place to make sure that planning, and understanding the organization's capacity, it may be hard to meet goal for on-time performance.

If the customer has an on-time delivery requirement (such as Jim suggested), the organization may find the need to proceduralize capacity planning.

In many ERP's systems, there is an emphasis on just that. To the OP, look there first if you are seeking your 'procedure'.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
If the customer has an on-time delivery requirement
FWIW, I have NEVER seen a customer that does not have on time delivery requirements. Obviously, some customers that have sophisticated production planning processes with JIT techniques have much stricter requirements, but even on the other range of the spectrum, any customer would have delivery expectations of when parts/material are expected. Especially in the aerospace sector, context of this thread.

Dtooker

Registered
Hello everyone
7.1.1 The organization shall determine and provide the resources needed for the establishment. implementation, maintenance, and continual improvement of the quality management system. 7.1.1a "The capabilities of, and constraints on, existing internal resources?" In Aerospace the use of capacity planning is widely used. The methodology i.e. rough cut, detailed, estimated. finite simulations etc. should be demonstrated. Some how the company has to determine the labor, machine and staffing required.

Top Bottom