AS9100:D Counterfeit internal audit questions

I need to create internal audit questions for section 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts.

I have only been able to come up with the following questions to ask, any suggestions for additional questions? The standard is very slim in this area.

Is there a policy, procedure, etc. on how to prevent counterfeit parts from entering the supply chain?

Is there a requirement to train all relevant personnel on the prevention of counterfeit parts?

Does receiving inspection follow the counterfeit parts prevention process?

Is there a method to report suspect or confirmed fraudulent parts and keep them from entering the supply chain?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
What does your own QMS say about this? You should be using that to do internal audits. You should already know if there’s a policy or procedure. You job is to check it’s implemented. If you ask questions like that before the system has been put in place, your audits won’t get very far…

Randall Beck

Involved In Discussions
I used to have section checklists for our internal auditors too and they eventually turned into just a yes or no checklists. I dropped the checklists when the new revision of AS9100 was put out. If you are going to use internal audit checklists I would suggest that it is a much more useful tool, and actually does provide valuable 3rd party audit resources if you reword the questions a little. Since the section of the standard is very vague for a reason and you don't actually need any documentation or procedure I would have the internal auditor just document the verbal personnel responses and what documents the operators show you when you ask witness questions like:

"What is the policy or procedure for preventing counterfeit parts from entering the supply chain or how do you know that the wire in the cable you are using is the correct type that the packaging says it is."

"Can you explain to me how were you trained to be able to tell if that valve you just put into the assembly is the not a counterfeit part that will break as soon as our customer installs it on an airplane wing and the plane is in flight?"

"How do you know that the receiving inspection of that epoxy has been verified to be from the approved supplier and it is not cheap or fake epoxy?"

"What would you do if you suspected that some of those titanium wing bolts were not genuine titanium or they looked different? How would you keep them from being used on the assembly line until they could be verified?"

"Can you tell me where that widget plug you were just going to use in the assembly came from in order that I can verify the purchasing and receiving department used a supplier that is on the approved vendor list, or if this is your responsibility can you show me the process you would use to verify these are genuine OEM parts?"

If all the responses agree with your actual counterfeit prevention documents, training and processes that's all you can ask for from your internal auditors.

This makes it much easier to document a process based audit and develops audit trails to audit the next part of the process. It is also very nice to have these internal observations during a recertification audit as well.

These read like 3rd party auditor questions. An internal auditor should be checking to see if the organization‘s planned arrangements are actually implemented.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Do you have a procedure covering this process?? Look for the "shalls" in the procedure and see if they are being followed.

And ask open-ended questions, not questions that can be answered with a yes or no.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q AS9100 Counterfeit Parts Prevention/Mitigation Work Instruction? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
A AS9100 D Counterfeit Prevention Program - We just service parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Y Counterfeit Parts - AS9100 D Cl. 8.1.4 - Can I claim no applicability? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
B AS9100 applicability to aircraft operation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Supplier AS9100 certificate suspended - still ship goods ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Pros and cons to transition to AS9100 for non aerospace company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
B AS9100 Certification Audit Accounting for Additional Customer QMS Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
Q AS9100 Facility Relocation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Do we need to raise concessions for every noted deviation under AS9100 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Minimum Retention Time for Records of internal audit results as per AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
PowerJunkie Cancelling AS9100 Certification - How and Who to notify? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Exclusions allowed in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Minimum/ mandatory core processes AS9100 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
M Lack of qualified AS9100 Auditors AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
F AS9100 and FAIR - When to do them AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P AS9100 and Raw Material Traceability AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B AS9100:D - Purchase Order required if ordering paint on supplier portal? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Calibration Records during AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M AS9100 examples of procedures, quality manual, etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
H Does this clause mean i must be in compliance with AS9100 or is 9001 enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O AS9100 8.4.3 Supplier Terms and Conditions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S AS9100 Supplier Audit Checklist example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 Design Authority questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B SPOC 001/SPOC 002 AS9100 FAIR REQUIREMENTS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Do all products fall under scope of AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
9 AS9100 Friendly ERP Recommendations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9120 to AS9100 due to value added activities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Can I exempt products/services from my AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P AS9100 and CAMO - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D AS9100 Rev D - Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D AS9100 VS IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W AS9100 Shelf Life Extension or Exemption AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Merging two AS9100 Companies: how to manage interim period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Transferring AS9100 to new Legal Entity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Lapse in AS9100 Certificate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 News AS9100 Rev. E? Any news? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2