Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts

I am manufacturing parts for Northrup Grumman and because the 2 year FAIR requirement is due they will require a new FAIR. Problem being we have a True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts. They have accepted an SDR but can I actually get a FAIR approved on parts that required an SDR? (Supplier Deviation Request)

Paid Advertisement - Forum Supporter

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
You can attempt to from your customer. They might approve it again. But make sure you reference the previous SDR on the new one.

Have you performed an investigation to the cause of the nonconformity?

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
If this is AS9102, check para 4.4. They may accept it as not complete and you'll perform a partial FAI for the non-conforming characteristic on the next run.

Are the tolerances in the specs to 4 decimal places, ten thousandths?
It really does not matter how many decimals the spec requires, for AS9102, you should not be "rounding" any dimensions. By definition, if you have a dimension that is 1.000" ±.01, if the dimension measures 1.0101 it is out of print.

lorenambrose

Quality Assurance Manager
It really does not matter how many decimals the spec requires, for AS9102, you should not be "rounding" any dimensions. By definition, if you have a dimension that is 1.000" ±.01, if the dimension measures 1.0101 it is out of print.
I respectfully disagree.

You should NEVER measure with greater precision than the spec calls for. It is a monumental NoNo. AS9102 has nothing to do with anything. Your MSA should match the specifications. No more no less. This is not just an aviation practice but the shipbuilding and nuclear industries as well.

Top Bottom