AS9100 FOD (Foreign Objects and Debris) Requirements

S

SharedVisionCV

Hello,

I just went through my first AS9100 audit. This is my first year in the quality management position. Through the audit I learned that our quality manual needs some major cleaning up.
My question is this: During a previous audit one of our nonconformances was no FOD procedure at all. As a corrective action, a procedure was written by a previous QM. I am reviewing the procedure now and trying to clean up some unnecessary language that paints us into a corner. The current procedure states that we measure the effectiveness of the FOD procedure via semiannual FOD audit.

I have referenced paragraph 7.5.5 of the standard and see where it states that "prevention, detection and removal of foreign objects" is required. I do not see, however, where it states that measurability is. I'd like to remove this portion of our procedure. Can anyone point me to where the standard states, if it does, that we need to be evaluating the procedure? (Beyond corrective actions initiated in the case of FOD findings.)

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
There is no requirement for a FOD audit in AS9100C but it is a good practice.
You can include the review of FOD during the internal audit of production, inspection, assembly and shipping.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Real quickly?..if you do not measure results in some way, how will you know if you are being effective? Look at 0.2c, the ?C? in ?PDCA?, 4.1e, ......

S

SharedVisionCV

I could implement something into our internal audit procedure to cover FOD, as the first response suggested. At the time of our audit, I was unaware that our procedure held us to a semi annual FOD audit. The auditor was asking for the documentation of these audits. Our manual was overwritten. We are a small company and there are only so many resources to implement, audit, evaluate, etc. I am trying to eliminate anything unnecessary to make our manual more manageable.

S

SharedVisionCV

Thank you for your help. I have looked where you suggested. I see what you are saying. If the FOD is part of our manufacturing process, than the measurement of it's effectiveness would be checked when I and measuring the effectiveness of the manufacturing process. I am trying to avoid additional audits and monitoring.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

I just went through my first AS9100 audit. This is my first year in the quality management position. Through the audit I learned that our quality manual needs some major cleaning up.
My question is this: During a previous audit one of our nonconformances was no FOD procedure at all. As a corrective action, a procedure was written by a previous QM. I am reviewing the procedure now and trying to clean up some unnecessary language that paints us into a corner. The current procedure states that we measure the effectiveness of the FOD procedure via semiannual FOD audit.

I have referenced paragraph 7.5.5 of the standard and see where it states that "prevention, detection and removal of foreign objects" is required. I do not see, however, where it states that measurability is. I'd like to remove this portion of our procedure. Can anyone point me to where the standard states, if it does, that we need to be evaluating the procedure? (Beyond corrective actions initiated in the case of FOD findings.)

Please note that the ISO standard does not require a procedure all that it requires is an awareness in the facility. This is usually done by posters, newsletter, annual refresher presentation.

That does not mean that you are doing something wrong - but an 3rd party auditor can not write a non conformance for not having a procedure.

Be careful with customer requirements - that is another story.

For additional information on FOD - check out the material on the Supply Chain Management Handbook (SCMH) - Chapter 3.4 http://www.sae.org/servlets/registr...HGeneral&PAGE=getSCMHBOOK&vgenNum=184&scmhs=1

S

SharedVisionCV

dsanabria, thank you for your response. This is what I was under the assumption of, but wanted confirmation. I will look at the SCMH where you suggested.

Q

QA_Newbie2000

As I'm sure you already know, even if it's not a requirement of the standard once you put it in a procedure it becomes a requirement:mad:
As you indicated FOD is specifically mentioned 7.5.5b, so it needs to be documented somewhere how you control it and like Mike S said earlier how will you know if the controls in place are effective if it's not measured.
What we do is we have added a section for FOD to our area audits. While we are auditing a process we verify that the correct controls are in place for FOD, ESD, Calibration, etc

Kronos147

As I'm sure you already know, even if it's not a requirement of the standard once you put it in a procedure it becomes a requirement:mad:
As you indicated FOD is specifically mentioned 7.5.5b, so it needs to be documented somewhere how you control it and like Mike S said earlier how will you know if the controls in place are effective if it's not measured.

So if there were some internal audits done after the initial FOD finding, and you have judged the process of continual FOD awareness prevention effective through other means (training, work order notes, etc.), then you could revise the process with justification of revision, to exclude the continual audits.

But, can't the FOD audit just be incorporated into an item of every (applicable) process during the internal audit? Is it that much more work to help prevent plane crashes? :rolleyes:

Big Jim

Admin
So if there were some internal audits done after the initial FOD finding, and you have judged the process of continual FOD awareness prevention effective through other means (training, work order notes, etc.), then you could revise the process with justification of revision, to exclude the continual audits.

But, can't the FOD audit just be incorporated into an item of every (applicable) process during the internal audit? Is it that much more work to help prevent plane crashes? :rolleyes:

A FOD audit can be easier than that. You can do a FOD audit with every final inspection. That is a FOD audit for that item.

Top Bottom