AS9100 - Infrastructure or Product? Inflight internet connectivity network

lorenambrose

Quality Assurance Manager
Hey folks. I am working on an AS9100 cert for the organization I am currently working at. We are trying to iron out the scope.

Our org provides a service to the aviation community which is inflight internet connectivity. Like any connectivity service company, we have a network (sites, satellites, etc.) My question is this:

Would the physical "network" and its creation fall under section 8.3 Design& Development OR section 7.1.3 Infrastructure? My question arises from the fact that we do not sell satellites or networks to our customers. We sell internet access via our operational network.

I would like to think we could call our network "infrastructure" and take an exception to Design & Development.

Can someone help me shed some light on this question?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I would like to think we could call our network "infrastructure" and take an exception to Design & Development.
Without a question, the network devices (hardware/software, buildings, etc...) would be deemed part of your infrastructure. Nevertheless, you can still design & develop your SERVICE. Just because your deliverable is not necessarily a tangible piece of hardware, you can disregard 8.3.

Granted, the D&D of a service is not the same as of a tangible product. I myself have voiced a number of times that we should have a 9001-like standard specific for services, but that's another matter.

Good luck.

Top Bottom