AS9100 & ISO 9001 Internal Audits (-+) - Auditor Qualifications

G

gutquality

What is the difference between performing internal audits for a company under AS9100 certification if you are an ISO 90012000 auditor?
Is the format different and specially now when 2008 edition is included in AS9100rev.c?
Is the concept different? Are you required to be certified internal auditor when performing internal audits in the company you work for?(AS9100)

B

Boscoeee

Re: AS9100 & ISO9k2008 Internal Audits(-+)

What is the difference between performing internal audits for a company under AS9100 certification if you are an ISO 90012000 auditor?
Is the format different and specially now when 2008 edition is included in AS9100rev.c?
Is the concept different? Are you required to be certified internal auditor when performing internal audits in the company you work for?(AS9100)

The performance (process oriented) of the audit is essentially the same, but some of the subject material is different.

If you are doing internal audits, (from my experience) you can either go to ASQ or other service and receive training and certification. However, the standard only require that you have an internal audit program and the internal auditors are competent.

I am certified by ASQ, however I train employees to an internal audit process and have them demonstrate their competency. From that effort, I certify internal auditors for use in the company.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

There is nothing that states that you have to be "certified" as an Internal Auditor. You need to be competent in the standard(s) that you are auditing and auditing techniques. It doesn't hurt to be certified, but not required.

There is a lot of differences between the AS9100 and ISO9001 standards to the extreme of understanding each one, in my opinion.

G

gutquality

If the auditor has AS9100 training but worked with ISO only, does this change anything in the performance of internal audits in company?
Is it required somewhere in AS9100, for the auditor to have some kind of training for AS9100 or could it be just by work experience?

B

Boscoeee

If the auditor has AS9100 training but worked with ISO only, does this change anything in the performance of internal audits in company?
Is it required somewhere in AS9100, for the auditor to have some kind of training for AS9100 or could it be just by work experience?

The test is competency and how you prove that the internal auditor is competent to perform the audit.

J

Jeff Frost

Understanding the requirements of the standard is key to performing an AS9100 internal audit. When the aerospace ICOP was created a number of ISO 9001:1994 requirements where retained as part of the standard with a bit of Boeing D1-9000 and other aerospace companies requirements stirred for good measure.

Search the Cove for AS9100C information and you should find a wealth of information.

B

Boscoeee

Understanding the requirements of the standard is key to performing an AS9100 internal audit. When the aerospace ICOP was created a number of ISO 9001:1994 requirements where retained as part of the standard with a bit of Boeing D1-9000 and other aerospace companies requirements stirred for good measure.

Search the Cove for AS9100C information and you should find a wealth of information.

Knowledge of the standard is always a good thing! However, in performing internal audits, one must really understand the internal processes and whether or not they are being followed. IMHO, one of the primary goals of internal auditing is to determine if the process are working as planned and taking action when you find a disconnect.:2cents:

J

Jeff Frost

Knowledge of the standard is always a good thing! However, in performing internal audits, one must really understand the internal processes and whether or not they are being followed. IMHO, one of the primary goals of internal auditing is to determine if the process are working as planned and taking action when you find a disconnect.:2cents:

Please remember GutQuality first question “What is the difference between performing internal audits for a company under AS9100 certification if you are an ISO 90012000 auditor?”

Most ISO 9001 Internal Auditors are trained on the requirements of ISO 19011, as are AS9100 Internal Auditors. So the differences for GutQuality would be the QMS Standard.

AS9100 does not require any additional aerospace magic to be performed by the auditor during an audit only that the auditor understand what is required by the standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gutquality

Well I think all this really helps.
I'm glad I understand the process while performing the internal audits.
Thanks guys.

Top Bottom