AS9100 Maintain Approval When Business Ownership Changes

Truesmrk

Registered
If a company ownership changes , but the scope is unchanged do I just need to discuss the change with the CB ?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Just inform the CB accordingly. Normally it takes a while until new owners implement changes that trickle down on to the quality system.

Big Jim

Admin
Scope of registration is what the company does. It is on the certificate. Something like "manufacture of widgets". In the case of the OP, business continues as usual but the ownership has changed. Depending on circumstances that could mean a re-evaluation of their system at the next audit.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Scope of registration is what the company does.
Not necessarily, as the scope of certification can be limited to a portion of the organization's product/service portfolio.

A tire manufacturer that supplies both automotive and aircraft tires could decide to seek IATF:16949 certification for the automotive product line and keep the aircraft tire business not certified.

For additional guidance, see the ISO paper on scopes.

MVladimir

Involved - Posts
Normally I do not see strong relationship between scope of registration and the changes of company ownership. If new company's ownership want to change the scope (may be - change the business), CB have to be informed for planning of next audit. It's not a problem.

Big Jim

Admin
Not necessarily, as the scope of certification can be limited to a portion of the organization's product/service portfolio.

A tire manufacturer that supplies both automotive and aircraft tires could decide to seek IATF:16949 certification for the automotive product line and keep the aircraft tire business not certified.

For additional guidance, see the ISO paper on scopes.

Of course you're right. I was trying to answer the question without getting into a disertation about scope.

Big Jim

Admin
Normally I do not see strong relationship between scope of registration and the changes of company ownership. If new company's ownership want to change the scope (may be - change the business), CB have to be informed for planning of next audit. It's not a problem.

What could change in a situation like this is management commitment among other things.

A few years ago when holding an opening meeting for a surveillance audit it was noticed that six out of eight of the management team were new. It was explained that the company had been sold to a much larger company and all be two of the old management team had been replaced. The registrar had not been notified and when they found out they required that a re-assessment be performed, essentially the same as a recertification audit. You might say that the registrar was surprised. The registration contract required such notification and it wasn't discovered until the auditor (me) was on site.

I have been involved with countless other times where the registrar had been notified and no re-assessment was required.

Take the lead and notify them.

Top Bottom