AS9100 Management Representative - Can it be an outsider?

C

CRBerry

Hi to all,

First of all, I would like to say that this is a great place for all of us who work in the Quality field.
Now, I have a question. I would like to know if the Quality Responsible for a 9100 system can be someone outside the organization (who belongs to another company, for example). I mean the Responsible, not an auditor. That person who is related to point 5.5.2 in the 9100:2008 standard.
I think that the answer is no, but I would like to read your opinion. :read:
Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi to all,

First of all, I would like to say that this is a great place for all of us who work in the Quality field.
Now, I have a question. I would like to know if the Quality Responsible for a 9100 system can be someone outside the organization (who belongs to another company, for example). I mean the Responsible, not an auditor. That person who is related to point 5.5.2 in the 9100:2008 standard.
Thank you in advance.
Many people who work in organizations work for another organization. This happens at board/C suite level, as we know. When they are on site, who are they working for? Who is paying the bill? Who benefits from their work? You may know them as an "outsider" but what does THAT term actually mean?

C

CRBerry

Thanks for your quick reply Andy! We are talking about different companies...even if they belong to the same owner. And possible different locations!

Thanks for your quick reply Andy! We are talking about different companies...even if they belong to the same owner. And possible different locations!
We encounter this question frequently, and my answer is the same - if the point was never brought up, how would anyone know they were an "outsider"?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi to all,

Thank you in advance.
Just to clarify...

Are you asking about the Management Representative, a consultant running the Quality System or the Quality Manager?

Big Jim

Super Moderator
All the standard says on the topic is that the management representative needs to be a member of the organizations management. It says no more.

I believe the intent is that the management representative not be a consultant that only shows up for audits.

As Andy pointed out, though, companies often have "outsiders" that work for the company in some form or another. The standard really doesn't fully address that.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I think that the answer is no, but I would like to read your opinion.
Check the following threads where this has been extensively and exhaustively discussed:

Management Representative is NOT a member of Management (
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)
Can one Management Representative operate between two sister firms (
1 2)
Management Representative - Member of Management?
Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management

A search is a terrible thing to waste.:yes:

C

CRBerry

Thanks for your reply about this matter. I will check the links you have provided. In any case, if anyone wants to add something, I would highly appreciate it.

R

Reg Morrison

That person who is related to point 5.5.2 in the 9100:2008 standard.
I meant the Quality Manager.
ISO 9001 and AS9100 have no mention to "quality manager". The function referenced in section 5.5.2 is the function of a management representative. It looks like the question is not clear in your mind, but, either way, there are no restrictions for a MR or a quality manager to do the job part time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E AS9100 - Is the Management Representative a Top Manager? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Configuration Management in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D AS9100 Document Management (Advice Needed) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Understanding Risk Management Requirements according to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Management Review - AS9100 Clause 5.6.3 Review Output AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
G AS9100 Rev C QMSM (Quality Management System Manual) Template Required AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
F AS9100 Management Review NCR help - Output of the MR is not Adequate AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Supplier Management Requirements - AS9100 vs. ISO13485 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P Risk Management - To what extent is Risk Management required by AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
B AS9100 (FCA / PCA) of section 7.1.3 - Configuration Management - Audit question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
JoCam AS9100 C and Risk Management Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Building an AS9100 QMS (Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
J AS9100:C Risk Management - Identify the Risk for the Sales/Contract Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
G Risk Management Audit Pointers for AS9100 Rev C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K Configuration Management - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J ISO 9001/AS9100 Requirement for Management Responsibility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Compliance with AS9100 Rev C Risk Management Purchasing Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Selling AS9100 to Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
D AS9100 Configuration Management Procedure example wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Configuration Management - AS9100 Rev B or C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Is Configuration Management Mandatory? AS9100 Clause 7.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
O Management Review Inputs and Outputs - AS9100 Registration Audit Requirements Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
J Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
K Risk Management Compliance - Implementing AS9100:2009 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 50
C Compliance with AS9100 Configuration Management Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Configuration Management Basics - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Risk Management - AS9100 revision C - Early advice please! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
N Configuration Management Exemption? AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
S Configuration Management Simplified - Complying with AS9100 Clause 4.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
D Is anyone using a commercial Configuration Management Software for AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C AS9100 - 4.3 Configuration Management - Regulatory impositions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
J AS9100 Internal Audit Reporting to Management Internal Auditing 8
A AS9100-2001 - AEROSPACE Quality Management Standard AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1