AS9100 Rev. C - Records created and/or maintained by Suppliers

G

Genepool1960

I have a question regarding the AS9100C and records.
Control of Records, 4.2.4 states "the documented procedure shall define the methods for controlling records that are created by and/or retained by suppliers.

Purchasing Information 7.4.2 Purchasing information shall describe the product to be purchased, including, where appropriate, ... h) Record retention requirements.

My question is this: According to AS9100 do I have instruct my supplier to maintain records of product listed on my P.O. in accordance with AS9100C. That the supplier must have a system for identification, storage, protection, retrieval, and disposition. As well as making sure they are legible, readily identifiable and retrievable?

Thanks for your input!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Jim

Admin
Control of Records, 4.2.4 states "the documented procedure shall define the methods for controlling records that are created by and/or retained by suppliers.

Purchasing Information 7.4.2 Purchasing information shall describe the product to be purchased, including, where appropriate, ... h) Record retention requirements.

My question is this: According to AS9100 do I have instruct my supplier to maintain records of product listed on my P.O. in accordance with AS9100C. That the supplier must have a system for identification, storage, protection, retrieval, and disposition. As well as making sure they are legible, readily identifiable and retrievable?

Thanks for your input!!!

If you expect a supplier to maintain records above and beyond what they usually do, you simply need to tell them. Purchase orders may be the main way to tell them, but there can be other ways to deliver purchase requirements, including additional record keeping requirements.

G

Genepool1960

Thanks BG for the response. I understand the need to request the info on a PO for a supplier. My question is, according AS9100C, do I need to have the supplier maintain a system that controls the records in accordance to the AS9100C?

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Thanks BG for the response. I understand the need to request the info on a PO for a supplier. My question is, according AS9100C, do I need to have the supplier maintain a system that controls the records in accordance to the AS9100C?

It depends on your procedures and what your customers require. The standard (Note: I am working towards certification now so am not an expert) says "the documented procedure shall define the method for controlling records that are created by and/or retained by suppliers". All this is saying is your procedures will define how supplier records will be retained.

Our procedure address this with the following line:

Suppliers shall create and maintain records required as prescribed by the specific information provided by the purchase orders issued by

Again, we have not 'passed' our stage 1 (that's October) or Stage 2 (that's November) but we do have the services of a consultant who is also an Auditor.

Big Jim

Admin

The short answer is is sort of but not specifically.

The closest AS9100C comes to that would probably be part of 7.4.2g and all of 7.4.2h.

(7.4.2) "Purchasing information shall describe the product to be purchased, including, where appropriate . . . (7.4.2g) requirements regarding the need for the supplier to . . . flow down to the supply chain the applicable requirements including customer requirements . . . (7.4.2h) record retention requirements . . . "

If outsourcing is involved, then part of 4.1 comes into play.

"Where an organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity to requirements, the organization shall ensure control over such processes. The type and extent of control to be applied to these outsourced processes shall be defined within the quality management system."

Then there is always that part of 4.2.4 that needs to be considered.

"The (control of records) documented procedure shall define the method for controlling records that are created and/or retained by suppliers."

So you do not need to enforce those elements of AS9100C upon your suppliers, but you do need to pass on the requirements that you are required to pass down the supply chain and they need to have a reasonable method of maintaining those records.

Don't forget that right of access (7.4.2i probably fits here too when right of access is a requirement that your customer specified for you to flow down.

G

Genepool1960

Thanks for the input. I think it gets tricky when I start to pull the requirements for control of records from the AS9100 and place it on our suppliers. I just think that AS9100 gurus wanted us to control our records methodically and probably wanted the same for our suppliers....

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky

Thanks for your input!!!

The short answer is no. This requirement is in the standard in the event that you want your supplier to maintain records which are important to you. For example most companies what to receive a certificate of conformance with the delivery of the raw material. But let's say you want your suppliers to keep them on file instead of sending them to you. This clause would now come into play. Got it?

Top Bottom