AS9100 Routing (Shop Traveler) requirements per 7.5.1 g and h

decracker

Registered
Does anyone have experience or advice on how to successfully use multiple piece routers in a single piece flow atmosphere? We are an aerospace valve manufacturer that has embraced Lean Six Sigma practices. I am versed in routing splits, but when we record our traceability information this quickly becomes a nightmare.

I want to minimize the paperwork burden I am anticipating and keep a system simple and user friendly.

Thanks in advance!

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: AS9100 routing requirements per 7.5.1 g and h

Can you go electronic? Instead of the traditional paper router, an electronic router/database. I have not done this personally, but I have seen one of my customers system and it works kind of like this:

1. Part(s) moves to location
2. Part is scanned along with the operator ID (they use bar codes and require serial numbers) .
3. Part is processed per requirements.
4. Part is scanned as complete along with the operator ID.
5. Part is 'marked' with new bar code (indicating processes completed).
6. Part is moved to next operation.

They were showing the system off and it looked like it worked very well as the bar code scan brought up the process instructions, warnings, logged dimensions, etc. I assume you don't need anything that detailed but with each part the bar code tag traced all processes, who did, how many, scrap, etc.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Does anyone have experience or advice on how to successfully use multiple piece routers in a single piece flow atmosphere? We are an aerospace valve manufacturer that has embraced Lean Six Sigma practices. I am versed in routing splits, but when we record our traceability information this quickly becomes a nightmare.

I want to minimize the paperwork burden I am anticipating and keep a system simple and user friendly.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure how it got complicated or how it became a traceability nightmare. All you really doing is splitting the lot into smaller lot. Think of it like a spring - you stretch it but at the end it retains to original function.

In Aerospace, documents or proper identification must be maintained with each product to identify the status of the product so you could use a tag or a router.

If you are going to split the lot (which is what you are doing) make a copy of the original router and mark them as -1 or -1 until the lot is complete.

I would need to know more information on why it has become a nightmare if you would like to share.

Top Bottom