AS9100 Scope of Registration - Post-Delivery Activities N/A?

B

brimartinez

I have a question about making section 8.5.5 Post-Delivery Activities Non-Applicable.

Background - we are a small, build to print machine shop that does not provide any design or Post-Delivery Activities. We do not provide warranties, maintenance, replacement parts, recycling or final disposal.

During our AS9100D transition audit, our auditor asked that we change our scope and said the reasoning is that we must include section 8.5.5.e "customer feedback" and "When problems are detected after delivery, the organization shall take appropriate action including investigation and reporting."

To me, customer feedback is already covered in 8.2.1.c. The only problem that could be detected after delivery would be non-conforming product and that is covered by 8.7.1 and 10.2.

Is this something to discuss further with our auditor, or just take our lumps and modify our scope to his liking???

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Scope of Registration - Post-Delivery Activities N/A

This question has been already "clarified" by the IAQG in their IAQG 9100:2016 Clarifications Document. If a customer returns nonconforming product to you, for rework/repair, that's deemed post delivery activity, according to the IAQG.

Question: If a company does not provide service to products after the part is delivered to a customer, can they claim clause 8.5.5 as not applicable?

Answer: Clause 8.5.5, Post-Delivery Activities, is applicable when servicing of your product is performed after initial delivery. The location of the service is irrelevant no matter whether the servicing is taking place at your facility or in the field.

If an organization provides any post-delivery activities (such as warranty work), clause 8.5.5 cannot be excluded in its entirety. At a minimum, the portion “When problems are detected after delivery, the organization shall take appropriate action including investigation and reporting.” would be applicable. Product that is found to be nonconforming after delivery to the customer require actions to be taken, including investigation and reporting; therefore 8.5.5 is applicable. The organization may utilize the Control of Nonconformity Outputs process and Corrective Action process as the method for implementing this requirement; however Clause 8.5.5 would not be
excluded in it’s entirety

B

brimartinez

Thanks. I forgot to look at the clarifications. I appreciate your help.

B

brimartinez

We finished our audit to AS9100D and had 1 minor finding. I can tell that all of the prep work we put in was well worth it as it went very smoothly. (Well, besides forgetting where to look for exclusion criteria). I appreciate all of the help I found on this site.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

This question has been already "clarified" by the IAQG in their IAQG 9100:2016 Clarifications Document. If a customer returns nonconforming product to you, for rework/repair, that's deemed post delivery activity, according to the IAQG.

in addition 8.2.2 Determining the Requirements for Products and Services provides additional information if you could take "Non Applicable".

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

We finished our audit to AS9100D and had 1 minor finding. I can tell that all of the prep work we put in was well worth it as it went very smoothly. (Well, besides forgetting where to look for exclusion criteria). I appreciate all of the help I found on this site.

:thanx:Thanks for the compliment. That is what this forum is here to do...help people.

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource

Congratulations! Now you can give advice and help to the rest of the Cove that is implementing AS9100D.

:tg:

Q

QTI Sensing Solution

I am currently updating our system to match the new standard. I am having a hard time understanding what we need to add. I see that there are 2 added notations but u am not understanding what we need inside our QMS.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am currently updating our system to match the new standard. I am having a hard time understanding what we need to add. I see that there are 2 added notations but u am not understanding what we need inside our QMS.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

First - start with a Gap Assessment - there is a nice worksheet in the AIQG website - here is the link http://www.sae.org/iaqg/organization/9100.htm

There is also a lot of good information provided in their website.

Let us know if you need additional information.

B

brimartinez

In addition to the gap analysis, I would recommend doing Ad-hoc audits on any new areas/changes to your qms. Even though these should have been covered during the internal audit, extra emphasis on the changes ensures that they have been addressed and are conforming. These Ad-hoc audits boost your IA as well.

Top Bottom