AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements

was named killer

Starting to get Involved
Performing an Internal Audit to AS9100 and I am going through Suppliers and the AVL. I have discovered where we have been using suppliers that we have not sent a survey or done any sort of Audit on in over Ten Years. Granted, we have been using them and they have been approved the whole 10+ years. My question is this, if we have not had any notable issues withe the Vendor/ Supplier should I be concerned about qualification to an older Standard of AS9100 simply because of the many changes over those 10 years?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
Do your internal procedures require a survey or audit?
Do you have evidence for an auditor that an internal review of supplier performance has been performed at least yearly if not more often?

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
Since you require a survey or valid cert, do you have evidence the suppliers without a survey or audit have maintained their certification?

How specific is you review of suppliers? Do you review the suppliers that are not meeting performance expectations name by name?

WNK - seems like a solid approach to me.
I was just reviewing something along these lines. I am very interested in your opinion. AS9100 8.4.3 (K) states a QMS needs to be implemented. I'm trying to understand what that means. I take it to imply a compliant QMS (to ISO) but am I off base? Our internal requirement is that a supplier needs to have a QMS compliant to ISO. Does that mean compliant to ISO 9001: 1994 is okay?

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
8.4.3 says in part "The organization shall communicate to external providers its requirement's for:..." and in k it says "The need to ...implement a quality management system." Note the section says the purchasing company sets the requirements, which needs to include any applicable requirements from customers higher up the chain per clauses elsewhere in the standard. Section k does not say supplier "shall have a QMS" or similar, nor does it refer to compliance or certification to a recognized or published standard. So the requirement is whatever the purchasing company (and the purchasing company's customers) flows down to the supplier. If nothing is specified by the purchaser, then nothing specific applies to the supplier. ("Joe inspects everything" is a primitive QMS.)

A company can be compliant, but not certified, to an out of date standard. So based on what you said, compliant to 9001:1994 meets your internal requirement.

8.4.3 says in part "The organization shall communicate to external providers its requirement's for:..." and in k it says "The need to ...implement a quality management system." Note the section says the purchasing company sets the requirements, which needs to include any applicable requirements from customers higher up the chain per clauses elsewhere in the standard. Section k does not say supplier "shall have a QMS" or similar, nor does it refer to compliance or certification to a recognized or published standard. So the requirement is whatever the purchasing company (and the purchasing company's customers) flows down to the supplier. If nothing is specified by the purchaser, then nothing specific applies to the supplier. ("Joe inspects everything" is a primitive QMS.)

A company can be compliant, but not certified, to an out of date standard. So based on what you said, compliant to 9001:1994 meets your internal requirement.
Thank you. I found your response clear and logical with regard to AS9100. I do still take issue with our internal requirement though. Similarly if we said "must be trained to our Quality Manual" and they provided a training record for Rev "A", but Rev "F" is what's current, it would be an issue. Right?

was named killer

Starting to get Involved
Thanks everybody for your input on this. As to where I am concerned about any auditor actually finding this I do not think it would even be a minor. Simply because our Supplier Quality Goals and Metrics have fare exceeded our Goal each year up until 2019. I issued a CAR to Purchasing and Quality to investigate Root Cause for the 2019 downtrend. Purchasing didn't really come up with anything solid...but after I dove into the Purchasing/ Vendor Qualification Process I discovered this issue.
As to where I KNOW it's most likely NOT the Root Cause I can't help but think it would be a value added activity to get all new Surveys and ISO/ Nadcap and AS Cert status into our system. Even if it just means we wake up some of our Older Vendors to the fact that we actually look at their QMS more than once every ten years...LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Spares Market Supplier - Do we need to follow AS9110 or AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J AS9100 Rev. D - Question about 8.4.3 (k) - Supplier Certificates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S Supplier Evaluation - External Provider Evaluation (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
I Difference between ASQR (Aerospace Supplier Quality Requirements) and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
S AS9100 Approved Supplier List (ASL) Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Supplier Retained Records Requirements - AS9100 4.2.4 Control of Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
V Application of AS9100 clause 7.5.1.1 - Tooling Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
T AS9100 and related AS9102 Supplier First Article Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Supplier Management Requirements - AS9100 vs. ISO13485 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Audit of Supplier who is working toward AS9100 certification General Auditing Discussions 5
S AS9100 Requirements for Supplier & Subtier Supplier Control Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
V AS9100 and AS9102 - Does our supplier have to do the FAI using the 3 AS9102 forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F AS9100 8.5.2 g - Flowing Down Corrective Action Requirements to a Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 37
K Supplier Performance and Supplier Rating Process - AS9100 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
T Transition to AS9100 from ISO 9001 (Cost) - We are an Aerospace and Military Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 31
A AS9100 - Verification of Raw Material Supplier Test Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
G Does AS9100 require approving your Customer as a Supplier? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
E AS9100 Interpretation - Delegation of Verification Activities to the Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
W AS9100 Supply Chain - Supplier evaluation and auditing Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A AS9100 vs. AECMA vs. Oasis (Online Aerospace Supplier Information System) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25