AS9100 Training - Where do I start?

So this is kind of a weird one (I think, maybe I'm wrong). I started in this company recently (3 months ago) and do not have any prior training in ISO9001 or AS9100, my company really likes me and feels that I will be able to help them in the transition from ISO to AS. They basically want me to read up on their current ISO9001 Manual to get familiar with it and slowly start seeing what I can do to transition over to AS9100. (I think eventually the person who wrote the ISO will help me and eventually I will get training...but right now I have nothing). Is there anything I should be doing to make this easier for me? I am basically lost here, I have been reading up on a lot of threads on here which has helped me understand a decent amount but this seems almost impossible. Where do I start? Just read over ISO9001 and all of AS9100 to fully understand them? Is there much I can do without actual training? Thank you for any help. (Just to clarify, I am not doing the transition alone exactly, they basically want a fresh/open mind to bring to the table. I don't want to disappoint)

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I did highlight the differences between ISO9001 and AS9100 (Which is already done in AS9100 but I broke it up into one "small" document with things that are going to be needed.) And found 1 or 2 things that were already done but not required in ISO9001 so I guess that's a step.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I'll take a stab at this..... if I understand correctly your company wants you, a rookie at QMS implementation, to help them transition. That's gonna be a tough row to hoe, but if you can, get some formal training. I don't mean hire consultants, but get training for you and maybe 1-2 other members of your team if you can.

Second, try to make your Management realize that this is not something to be done by one person, it requires an implementation team.

The team will need to create a gap analysis and assign people to do what is necessary to close the gaps.

That will get you started....

And the people on this forum can help with specific questions -- we literally have some of the best in the business answering questions here, including active registrar auditors.

I'll take a stab at this..... if I understand correctly your company wants you, a rookie at QMS implementation, to help them transition. That's gonna be a tough row to hoe, but if you can, get some formal training. I don't mean hire consultants, but get training for you and maybe 1-2 other members of your team if you can.

Second, try to make your Management realize that this is not something to be done by one person, it requires an implementation team.

The team will need to create a gap analysis and assign people to do what is necessary to close the gaps.

That will get you started....

And the people on this forum can help with specific questions -- we literally have some of the best in the business answering questions here, including active registrar auditors.
Yea that is basically exactly what is happening. I think sitting down and really discussing everything is the best bet. I am starting to understand the differences between ISO9001 and AS9100 to be able to at least get things started. Thanks for your help, sorry about the weird post, I was getting pretty stressed thinking maybe it is kind of easy and I'm just not getting a grasp of it.

mattador78

Involved In Discussions
So this is kind of a weird one (I think, maybe I'm wrong). I started in this company recently (3 months ago) and do not have any prior training in ISO9001 or AS9100, my company really likes me and feels that I will be able to help them in the transition from ISO to AS. They basically want me to read up on their current ISO9001 Manual to get familiar with it and slowly start seeing what I can do to transition over to AS9100. (I think eventually the person who wrote the ISO will help me and eventually I will get training...but right now I have nothing). Is there anything I should be doing to make this easier for me? I am basically lost here, I have been reading up on a lot of threads on here which has helped me understand a decent amount but this seems almost impossible. Where do I start? Just read over ISO9001 and all of AS9100 to fully understand them? Is there much I can do without actual training? Thank you for any help. (Just to clarify, I am not doing the transition alone exactly, they basically want a fresh/open mind to bring to the table. I don't want to disappoint)
I had to do exactly the same as you and this place is a great place for reading and asking for advice. I don't feel that I have been given any bad advice on here, I may have not agreed with all of it or understood it to begin with but none of it has been bad. We did have an outside consultant helping us and a few of his conversations may have been calling me as thick as pig faeces but again its all a learning curve. We passed our AS audit last November 12 months after I started with the transition with no NC. Self auditing is the best advise I can offer and make sure you write anything you want changing with the person responsible for it, it reduces conflict and educates you both at the same time. Luckily for me i have worked at this place for 23 years and the owners and senior management i have worked alongside when there was less than 10 of us on site here so conflict with Senior management was always minimal or involved us telling each other to F off the calming down resolving the issue and going watch the football (pre covid) at the weekend with a few beers before and after (maybe during as well). I digress this place has been a great help in educating me and it continues to do so. So milk it for all you can on here

I had to do exactly the same as you and this place is a great place for reading and asking for advice. I don't feel that I have been given any bad advice on here, I may have not agreed with all of it or understood it to begin with but none of it has been bad. We did have an outside consultant helping us and a few of his conversations may have been calling me as thick as pig faeces but again its all a learning curve. We passed our AS audit last November 12 months after I started with the transition with no NC. Self auditing is the best advise I can offer and make sure you write anything you want changing with the person responsible for it, it reduces conflict and educates you both at the same time. Luckily for me i have worked at this place for 23 years and the owners and senior management i have worked alongside when there was less than 10 of us on site here so conflict with Senior management was always minimal or involved us telling each other to F off the calming down resolving the issue and going watch the football (pre covid) at the weekend with a few beers before and after (maybe during as well). I digress this place has been a great help in educating me and it continues to do so. So milk it for all you can on here
I'm glad to see (or maybe not glad to see haha) someone that was in the same boat as me. So far I have been reading a lot of posts on here and they have helped me really understand a lot of things. Everyone seems extremely helpful and I am sure I will be posting more in the future.

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
If you purchase a copy of AS9100, all wording printed in bold text is the AS9100 content which was added to ISO9001, so that is one way to see what is different. I invite you to register at the industry site International Aerospace Quality Group , where you find a wealth of information. Be sure to check the SCMH for webinars and presentation slides.

You are also asking how to get started when you do not have prior training in ISO9001. Some people learn by reading a book on the subject, some people would rather watch videos, some people would rather take classroom instruction, some would benefit from working with a consultant. I have used all of these methods. The people at the Cove will do our best to help, but you best know your situation and your needs. It is most efficient to ask detailed direct questions. Welcome.

mattador78

Involved In Discussions
I'm glad to see (or maybe not glad to see haha) someone that was in the same boat as me. So far I have been reading a lot of posts on here and they have helped me really understand a lot of things. Everyone seems extremely helpful and I am sure I will be posting more in the future.
I did take an internal auditing course to help me along the way just for ISO9001 it was extremely helpful and helped me realise I knew a lot more than I thought. Reading the standards and manuals over and over to educate myself made me very word blind to begin with if that makes sense.

If you purchase a copy of AS9100, all wording printed in bold text is the AS9100 content which was added to ISO9001, so that is one way to see what is different. I invite you to register at the industry site International Aerospace Quality Group , where you find a wealth of information. Be sure to check the SCMH for webinars and presentation slides.

You are also asking how to get started when you do not have prior training in ISO9001. Some people learn by reading a book on the subject, some people would rather watch videos, some people would rather take classroom instruction, some would benefit from working with a consultant. I have used all of these methods. The people at the Cove will do our best to help, but you best know your situation and your needs. It is most efficient to ask detailed direct questions. Welcome.
We did purchase the AS9100 recently so I am seeing what has been added. I think watching videos would be my best bet until I am able to actually get formal training. I believe they are going to want me to get it (actual training) eventually but wanted me to try to get familiar with it as much as I can first.

I did take an internal auditing course to help me along the way just for ISO9001 it was extremely helpful and helped me realise I knew a lot more than I thought. Reading the standards and manuals over and over to educate myself made me very word blind to begin with if that makes sense.
I think I know what you mean and it is kind of what I am scared of. For me I need a more...in depth explanation. Reading a manual over and over is nice but I am a big "why" person to understand things fully. I am going to ask the boss for training and such to help this go a lot easier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S General Awareness Training for AS9100 Rev.D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Meeting AS9100, FAA, Transport Canada, EASA Training Requirements - Vent/Rant Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Q AS9100 Quiz Questions for Internal Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Training for the "new guy" and a Transition to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Does anyone have an AS9100 System Training Datum? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T Developing an AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C RABQSA Certified AS9100 Rev. C Lead Auditor Training Course Providers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 47
C AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Class in the US - Recommendations wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C Training Records - AS9100 Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 14
O AS9100 Training presentation wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A AS9100 Internal Auditor Training and Qualifications Internal Auditing 8
A AS9100 Awareness Training Requirement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
E AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Course Professional Certifications and Degrees 25
Q What is considered a Training Record? AS9100:2004 Clause 6.2.2 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
K Free AS9100 C Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
P When is a training course not a training course? Acceptable AS9100 Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Sidney Vianna Buyer beware: Attending training to AS9100 Revision C. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
V What documents are required for Education and Training in AS9100 Internal Auditing 3
T ISO 9001 and AS9100 Training Tools for all Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A AS9100 training required in UK - Urgent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L AeroSpace AS9100 AS Lead Auditor Course Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
A AS9100 ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training - Long Island NY Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L AS9100 Lead Auditor Training In India Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S In search of AS9100 Presentation for Internal Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Recommendations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
S AS9100 - 6.2.2 - Effectiveness of training? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W AIR5493, AIR5359, AAQG Training requirements for AS9100 internal auditors AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
howste AS9100 internal auditors - Accredited training required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S AS9100 Training Recommendations for Engineers - Seeking Reccommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3