AS9100 Verification of purchases - Metals stockist buying directly from mills

P

peterd

I am in the process of completing preperations for our AS9100 audit and have a query regarding the need to verify purchased product.

We are a aerospace metals stockist buying directly from mills and other stockists. The way I read the requirements we need to do two things that are new:

- check the data within mill certificates against the spec for every delivery
- get samples of the material tested by an outside source on a periodic basis

Am I reading these right or are there ways around this? We are having a bit of an internal debate on this and could do with some views/experience.

Cheers
Peter

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
The standard says "The organization shall periodically validate test reports for raw material." It doesn't say it has to be through an outside source. If you have the capability to do it inside your company that should be acceptable. If not, I think you're right on the money with your two comments. Of course, you have the ability to determine the frequency of the material testing...

B

BadgerMan

I also think you have made the correct interpretation. Both of your stated verifications are good practices regardless of whether they are mandatory or not.

We take a sampling of raw materials twice per year and send them to an independent lab. Cheap insurance IMO.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Validating test reports for raw material

I understand the requirement(AS9100, 7.4.3) for validating raw material periodically. For metals it is straightforward.

Would it also apply to paint for a paint shop or chemicals for an anodizing processor?

How about resin for a plastics manufacturer?

Any comments?

Danny

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
DannyK said:
I understand the requirement(AS9100, 7.4.3) for validating raw material periodically. For metals it is straightforward.

Would it also apply to paint for a paint shop or chemicals for an anodizing processor?

How about resin for a plastics manufacturer?

Any comments?

Danny
If you rely on a CoC to accept the material, then yes. If you don't require a CoC to base your acceptance of the incoming product, then no. Another issue that might apply to the products you mentioned is their "shelf life" .

J

Jeff Frost

Yes resin would fall under this clause. Raw material could encompass any unfinished materials purchased to a specification not just metal or plastic.

Jeff

H

Hoeyster

This might be a stupid question but when it says periodic validation of test results for raw material, does that mean a chemical analysis or just a hardness check? :eek:

Top Bottom