AS9100A - Production Equipment, etc...

G

gburns

Section 7.5.1.3, "Control of Production Equipment, Tools and Numerical Control (N.C.) Machine Programs" is rather a stumper for me. I've looked for guidance on how detailed this requirement is, but so far haven't found much of anything.

My difficulty is not so much in defining control methods as it is defining the scope of the requirement, i.e. what is a piece of "production equipment" or "tool"? Obviously, NC programs are covered, and I would imagine that part- or program-specific tooling might not be too controversial, but what about: scissors, screwdrivers, other hand tools, even marking pens (for product labeling)? There's all kinds of things I might make a good argument are tools or production equipment, but I sure don't want to include them in the class of items covered by this section.

Anybody cracked this nut yet (definition of scope)?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

What we did

Greg,

My experience.....Drill Presses, Brake Presses, laser, shears (not scissors or snips), rollers, lathes, bridgeports, sanders, etc. all had identification numbers and maintenance schedules attached to the equipment. The criteria used was simple. If the failure of the machine would cause you to miss shipment dates due to major downtime, include it in your Preventive Maintenance Program. Smaller items that you may use that you can go to, say, Home Depot, Grainger, etc and replace immediately..we did not include it. Like a radial arm saw for cutting wood to make crates. It's your call. Look at the equipment that would cause your production to crash. JMHO

:ko: :smokin:

I was a bit concerned with this requirement too when I first saw it.

I have assumed (rightly or wrongly) that "tools" (hardware or software) are product or contract specific. When we implemented the '99 version of AS 9100, I looked back to Boeing's D1-9000 BQS standard (for clarification) because I thought that maybe this was a Boeing influenced requirement. BQS 1.9.2 reads:

The supplier shall comply with applicable portions of Boeing tooling documents, I&R plans of other tooling agreements, as specified by contract.

Tools shall be:

a. released for production use only after the first parts produced have been verified to the part drawings and specifications

b. periodically verified to ensure their continued accuracy

c. properly stored and controlled to prevent misuse, damage, and deterioration

d. periodically checked for condition and preservation when in storage

Tool changes that affect product configuration shall not be implemented prior to Boeing approval.

The supplier shall maintain records that verify the proper control and care of supplier-, Boeing-, Boeing customer-, and Government owned tooling including records for accountability, identification, accuracy, and maintenance. These records shall include accurate identification of datasets on accountable tooling and inspection tools.

“Boeing or Government owned" tends to infer product or contract specific. Maybe it’s a stretch but that’s where we drew the line and so far, it has been a safe assumption for us.

I was particularly worried about control of NC programs but an ME furnished me with a detailed work instruction during an internal audit which included good controls for proper configuration using a network drive.

So far, so good!

Hope this helps.

Energy,

Your rationale is exactly what we used to include or exclude items from our PM program. However, I did not interpret 4.9.1.3 (or 7.5.1.3) to be a requirement for a PM program. I hope I was not incorrect with my interpretation!

Anyone else have an opinion?

BTW, I would much rather be fishin’ too!

E

energy

Customer Supplied Tooling

badgerman,

rightly or wrongly, Customer supplied tooling was considered Customer Property and we treated it entirely different than Production Equipment. Our own tooling, qualified through first piece inspection, was not considered Production Equipment either. Production Equipment were the machines we used to produce parts. We had representatives from the various aircraft customers in our plant daily auditing to their version of AS9000. They had no problems with what we were doing. Maybe I'm reading something wrong in Greg's post. I do not, or have not seen the new AS9001 spec. :ko: :smokin:

A

assuranceman

My experience with aerospace tooling is that it does not matter whether the tooling is customer furnished or company owned. The tooling must be controlled. Among the tooling are jigs, fixtures and inspection fixtures. Part of the problem is tooling wears. A first piece control is therefore insufficient. The controls on government furnished tooling become even tighter. The other side of control is to make sure customer and government furnished tooling is accounted for. In fact the DOD is presently going through very strict checks to make sure government tooling is accounted for.

G

gburns

The standard seems pretty explicit: production equipment and tools must be validated prior to use and thereafter inspected periodically (according to "documented procedures" too; did you catch that one?)

It doesn't exclude customer-supplied production equipment and tools. It doesn't say it only pertains to items on a PM program or that would cause major downtime. It doesn't instruct the reader to refer to Boeing legacy requirements.

I'm concerned that a strict constructionist (as many auditors are) would not allow the exclusionary schemes posted so far. I'd love it if the IAF or ISO/TC would come up with official guidance matter on this. I'm sure that in the early years of adoption, few folks auditing to AS9100A are going to hit hard on this. Our customer auditors especially will likely rely on their intuitive interpretation based on past expectations. But that doesn't mean that sooner or later someone will understand what this language is actually saying, and then our lives will be unpleasant.

I'll probably roll something together using some of the ideas posted so far, but if anyone comes up with other thoughts or approaches please post them -- I can use the help.

Hmmmm, still sittin' and thinkin'.

Inanutshell, the question remains, does this requirement imply contract or product specificity for the subject “production equipment” or “tooling”?

We (my employer) made the assumption that it does based on:

a. our Boeing rep auditing to D1-9000 BQS and BQMS D682479

b. our registrar auditing to AS 9100:1999 and AS9100a

c. our own interpretation of the aforementioned specs

As with many other requirements of the standard, they are open for interpretation by the auditor. Good luck!

A

ARUMPLE

This activity is important!
If you have quality approved manufacturing plan, work instructions, & set up documentation per 7.5.1.1 as necessary including methods & steps listing work centers, specific tools & nonspecific tools. the first article report or other documents will capture these activities. we use the PM to predict a potential capability failure of key process equipment(specific equipment), which is determined by maintenance records 6.3(b). if its non-specific, it's listed in the non-specific section of the set-up book. our validators review the documents/product/process and report the finding to the QM/QE for appropriate action.
You may not have your equipment specified per 6.3?

Have fun!:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M AS9100A (old revision) - Required C=0 sampling plans if sampling was used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D AS9100A Documentation Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R AS9100B - 2004-01 - Has been issued. AS9100B is AS9100A less Part 2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
P AS9100A audit - Is Scoring being used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J AS9100a and ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manual and Document Examples Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 32
C Scrapping on production floor - Setup parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E Routine production tests - dielectric voltage withstand test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Significant Production Run - How 300 was determined to be the minimum quantity APQP and PPAP 2
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Production and Post Production feedback - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Customer audit demands - that I state in my QM who can shut down production AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ed Panek Bringing Production In house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q IATF 16949 certification without automotive products in "production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Ed Panek Small Medical Device company - Bring production in-house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Mr Skeleton PV (Production Validation) test plan responsibility APQP and PPAP 21
D Valeo 5 Axes and VPS (Production System) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
C Medical Device Stability Studies - Non-validated pilot production Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Moving from Contract Manufacturing to Production In-House ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
andika_untoro What are a good Critical to Quality (CTQ) metrics for a biotech manufacturing production? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Ed Panek Bringing Production in house from Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Ed Panek Observational Audit of Contract Manufacturer Production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W AS9120B 8.5.1 Control of Production and Service Provision AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
qualprod Methods to Calculate Available Production Rate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
T Logic that determines what production testing is needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2