AS9100C 6.2.2 Compliance - Machine Shop

H

Hodgy Hotsauce

HELP!! We are a small (37 machine) Swiss Screw Machine shop making components for Commercial, Industrial, Defense and Aerospace. We have just had our Gap Analysis audit performed. Our 6.2.2 compliance is lacking. We currently have no procedure in place outside the statements of intent in the Quality Assurance Manual. I am attempting to build a procedure but I am not a training professional. We largely use OJT to bring up our personnel to competency. We have a Training Matrix and appropriate forms. However, we lack the connectivity to establish effectiveness. Is there a good example of a baseline procedure available?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

AndyN

Moved On
Re: AS9100C 6.2.2 Compliance

HELP!! We are a small (37 machine) Swiss Screw Machine shop making components for Commercial, Industrial, Defense and Aerospace. We have just had our Gap Analysis audit performed. Our 6.2.2 compliance is lacking. We currently have no procedure in place outside the statements of intent in the Quality Assurance Manual. I am attempting to build a procedure but I am not a training professional. We largely use OJT to bring up our personnel to competency. We have a Training Matrix and appropriate forms. However, we lack the connectivity to establish effectiveness. Is there a good example of a baseline procedure available?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Just a point of clarification - who said you had to have a procedure? I did see anything is AS 9100 about needing a procedure! Also, training isn't the focus, competency is, so are you being misled as to what's actually required?

It's simple - you identify competencies and you take action to address any areas you deem needed to improve, then you re-evaluate competency, to show closure...

H

Hodgy Hotsauce

Re: AS9100C 6.2.2 Compliance

AndyN,

As to the necessity of a procedure; our QAM speaks to the fact that we help our folks become competent thru training. However, the QAM does not state the "how". The procedure will fill this gap. As to accountability to prove, improve and show effectiveness; as you stated, we only need to provide evidence of competence and increasing effectivity. The procedure provides assurance of consistent implementation.

:thanx:

Big Jim

Admin
This doesn't need to be complicated.

The standard requires that your people be competent (skilled).

It requires that you determine what those competencies (skills) are for each position.

It requires that you determine that they have those skills, and if not, what you are doing or have done for them to obtain those skills. That is usually training.

It requires that you determine that what you did is effective.

It requires that you keeps records about how those skills were obtained.

The needed skills are frequently included in job descriptions, but they also could just be a list or even part of a matrix. This should not be hard to develop. These can be described in broad terms so that any one position could be covered in roughly 1/2 dozen to a dozen categories or perhaps a few more. You certainly don't need a hundred of them.

To avoid going backward and trying to create training records for your existing employees, you can grandfather them, indicating that they have already proven their ability to perform as expected. Grandfather statements often also include that they have been trained to the ISO/AS requirements that are pertinent to their position. Even if grandfathered, you still need to have a list of needed skills though.

Skills that an employee brings with them from education or prior experience can be shown with job applications, resumes, diplomas, certificates, etc.

Verification of the effectiveness of training (or other action taken to obtain the needed skill) can be in any of several ways. A common thing is to have a manager go out and observe the work of the employee a month or two after training and confirm that it was effective. Keep a record of this.

Another can be to have employee evaluations (if done, this is usually an annual thing).

Another is to monitor the process that he is functioning in. So if he is in production and you production KPI is First Pass Yield of Final Inspection (how may things make it through final inspection without rework), then showing that the KPI did not drop off due to the new employee. Other performance data may also be important, such as on-time delivery and customer satisfaction.

So determine what you actually do now, determine how you can effectively answer this with the least reconfiguration of your company, and get it done.

As Randy would say, it's not rocket science. Or as Marc would say, it's just basic stuff.

H

Hodgy Hotsauce

Big Jim,

Thanks for your response. It is very thorough! The responses I have received have been most helpful. We are cert'd to AS9100 Rev B but for us it has been a huge leap to get to C. However, we'll be better for it.

I expressly liked your 'grandfathering' application for existing employees. We already have the necessary forms in place but need to make them fit Rev C (e.g., Training Matrices, Training records with traceability, etc. We have established our KPI's and have the turtles and PEARS to back them up. This will enable us to measure effectiveness.

With my response to you I may have already answered my question. We just now need to document what we do.

:thanx:

Top Bottom