Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

AS9100C Processes which need to be documented

Hello, I work for a small business aerospace MRO & engineering company. I have been working on getting everything together for our upgrade from ISO to AS9100C. I really think we have most of it covered in practice, except, I cannot nail down the processes etc. we need to document.

Presently, I have our processes listed as 1) Contract Review, 2) Design & Development, 3) Purchasing & Receiving, 4) Production, 5) Quality Control (document control, internal audits and corrective actions etc), 6) Shipping & Receiving, and 7) Management Review. Does that sound reasonable?

I've seen so many random things on the internet that I am not sure what is the correct way. But if these are my processes, then do I also have a process solely for 1) provision of resources, 2) measurement, analysis and improvement, etc.? What does note 1 mean?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: AS9100C Processes

Hello, I work for a small business aerospace MRO & engineering company. I have been working on getting everything together for our upgrade from ISO to AS9100C. I really think we have most of it covered in practice, except, I cannot nail down the processes etc. we need to document.

Presently, I have our processes listed as 1) Contract Review, 2) Design & Development, 3) Purchasing & Receiving, 4) Production, 5) Quality Control (document control, internal audits and corrective actions etc), 6) Shipping & Receiving, and 7) Management Review. Does that sound reasonable?

I've seen so many random things on the internet that I am not sure what is the correct way. But if these are my processes, then do I also have a process solely for 1) provision of resources, 2) measurement, analysis and improvement, etc.? What does note 1 mean?
Tedward,

If you've already got a process-based management system that conforms to ISO 9001 then all you need to do for the AS upgrade is add any missing processes to the system and missing controls to existing processes.

You can PM me for a checklist on this.

But your question makes it seem that you achieved certification to ISO 9001 without a process-based management system.

What exactly is your current situation re your management system? Is it a bunch of documents written around the standard?

John

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky

First, get yourself a copy of AS9101. This is what you will really be audited to. The auditor is supposed to complete a PEAR (Process Effectiveness Assessment Report) for each of you processes. Having your own turtle diagram for each will please the auditor. Declaring that you have lots of processes will not please the auditor.
I have 1) Customer related processes 2) Design & Development 3) Purchasing 4) Production 5) monitoring & measurement. Our external auditor created PEARS for the first four.
Good Luck!

The listed processes are fine. Make sure that you have a measure of effectiveness for each process and the results. There are new requirements for project management, risk management, fai, etc. Figure out which process you can place them in.

I might expand Management Review to Management, otherwise the list looks reasonable. The real question here is do those process titles truly describe the structure and operation of your business?

One of the reasons that there is so much confusion about determining and identifying processes is that ISO never defined it well. Something that looks like won't be corrected in ISO 9001:2015. The definition in ISO 9000 is totally inadequate. Something that has inputs, adds value, and has outputs, just doesn't cut it.

Generally there are two types of processes that can be identified in ISO 9001 (and AS9100), business processes and how to make things processes. Most of 4.1 seems to deal with business processes. The part about outsourcing probably deals with both. 7.5.2 seems to be mostly about how to make things processes. 8.2.3 seems to be mostly about business processes.

To meet all but the outsourcing part of 4.1 and 8.2.3, deal with your business processes. For 7.5.2 deal with how you make things processes that need to be validated.

Does your list describe your business?

Thank you all for the responses. They clarified what I was thinking, but could not independently confirm. We used almost identical processes for the ISO 9001:2008 certification, but I was not sure whether I needed to formally adopt other processes that I did not list. I will be sure to account for all requirements, but it is helpful to know that I am on the right track. Thanks!

Does your company not deal with order handling, inventory handling or demand management? If it does, they need to be defined somewhere:

- Order Handling would be the activities that give rise to a sales order that is then fed to the Demand Management process. After all, if you have no method of scheduling work, you're going to have production timeline issues.

- Inventory handling is the activity that comes between receiving and shipping - the material needs to be moved and controlled. This needs to be defined.

Items like provision of resources, measurement, analysis and improvement are considered to be support processes and do not necessarily need to be individually defined - they feed into the product realization processes as a whole.

As long as the process flow matches what you do, it should be fine.

I might expand Management Review to Management, otherwise the list looks reasonable.
I agree with Big Jim.

I believe that under "Production" there are various sub processes to manage, but are exempt from all the requirements of a full blown process as they are sub processes. :cool:

A little technicality to prevent the system from being too cumbersome just trying to accumulate data.

Eric

Top Bottom