AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab

brekke777

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,

I'm moving our calibration at an AS9100 certified facility to an outside certified lab instead of in house. AS9100 7.1.5.2 states

"The organization shall maintain a register of the monitoring and measuring equipment. The register shall include the equipment type, unique identification, and the calibration or verification method, frequency, and acceptance criteria."

We get a cert from our calibration lab stating what internal procedure they used, and the acceptance criteria is listed on the cert as well. Is it acceptable to use this information on my register? I just recently had a surveillance audit and showed my auditor this as its an open continuous improvement activity. They seemed to be ok with it, but I just wanted to post it here and get some feedback.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
7.1.5.2.a states "measuring equipment shall be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards; when no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be retained as documented information; "

In our QMS, the Method I record is the word calibration or verification. Most of the devices we buy come with a certification certificate, or at a minimum, a verification by the manufacturer, which I save as a record and gets us through the first year. In a second column, Source, I record either the abbreviation "Mfr" (the first year of a new device), the name of the re-calibration service-provider, or the internal work instruction # we generated which details our verification procedure. In the case of verification, the procedure is generally copied from the device manufacturer and adds any specific details for our own situation. Frequency is either annual, quarterly, or verify before use. The Acceptance Criteria is generally the manufacturer's accuracy specification, which you should find on the cert or from the owner's manual or the website. Our supplier's ISO-17025 certification was verified in our supplier selection and monitoring procedure. I retain all certification certificates as a record.

Top Bottom